Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Cake swirled with cherry pie filling

Posted by kathy77 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 19:35

A couple of years ago I found a recipe for a cake with cherry pie filling swirled in it. It was very easy, used a cake mix and a can of cherry pie filling. It turned out great.
So I tried to make it again recently, but it turned out a big disappointment. This time the pie filling all sank to the bottom.
I tried searching for the original recipe, but can't find anything. The pie filling was not fully mixed in, just dollops of pie filling over the cake.
I'm thinking it required some modification to the cake mix to make it thicker so the pie filling doesn't sink.
Sound familiar to anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Cake swirled with cherry pie filling

Could it have been called Dump Cake? It is made with a can of chunk style pineapple and cherry pie filling and pecans, cake mix WITHOUT pudding, and pecans. Then served with Cool Whip.

o

No, it was just the cherry pie filling, no pineapple.

o

I just googled and found this recipe which is cherry pie filling only. It is the same recipe but left the pineapple out and added a second can of cherries. I was going to suggest that but didn't know if the "juiciness" of the pineapple was needed. LOL I guess not. At any rate, I hope this helps.

Cherry Dump Cake

1 box white or yellow cake mix
1/4 pound butter or margarine -- at room
1/2 cup nuts* -- chopped
2 cans prepared cherry pie -- filling
walnuts or pecans are best for this recipe

In a mixer blend the cake mix with the butter until it is fine and crumbly. Take out and save about 1 cup of the mixture. The remainder is pressed into the bottom of a 9x14" baking pan.

Bake at 350* for about 15 minutes, or until lightly brown. Pour the cherry pie filling over the hot baked crust. Mix the chopped nuts to the remaining cake mix mixture, and sprinkle over the pie filling. Return to the oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until the mix mixture is lightly browned.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

o

Kathy, is it possibe the cake mix had been augmented with 4 eggs, pudding mix and oil?
That may make it heavy enough for the pie filling not to sink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here