Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Cretons / Pork Scrap Recipe

Posted by sue36 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 29, 08 at 19:10

I grew up near Lowell, MA where pork scrap (AKA Cretons) was a popular food, often spread on toast with mustard. I wanted to try to make my own, but not having a recipe decided to research it online. I made some and it's just not right. I was wondering if anyone has a traditional pork scrap recipe? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Cretons / Pork Scrap Recipe

This is an older post from the Cooking Forum. I tried this recipe and it is delicious, exactly like what I recall eating in Montreal but I was surprised about the microwave...no matter it works! Notice Monique, the author of the recipe, says she likes it with mustard!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I've never seen this outside of Quebec. A month or so ago Monique posted the recipe over on the CF... I was so surprised. I was also surprised to see she made it in the microwave! Subsequent to that Lee (from Denver) made the recipe and raved about it....so I tried it.

Ces't manifique Monique, merci !

Cretons Rapides Au Micro-Ondes - posted by Monique from Quebec

1 Lb ground pork
1 Cup of milk
8 crushed soda crackers
1 finely chopped onion
minced garlic cloves
1/4 Tsp of cinnamon
1/8 Tsp ground cloves
1/8 TSP GINGER
1 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp of pepper herbs if desired

Put all ingredients in a microwave safe dish..mix well.
Cook at high for 5 mins. Mix again Cook another 5 mins Mix again Cook 3 more mins.
Mix and let rest 6 mins. Now.. a lot of people put this mixture in the food processor..we like it more rustic..as is..I pack it in pretty ramekins.
I also add a bit more cinnamon..Let me know..I hope you like them. With Mustard on top ..I favor them:)
They actually freeze quite well also. Dills will be divine alongside :)~

Good luck!

Lee's notes were that she "upped" the spices.

o
RE: LOOKING for: Cretons / Pork Scrap Recipe

1 lb ground pork (I use 80/20)
allspice to taste
salt
pepper
1 sm onion finely chopped

put in all in small pot, barely cover with water and boil for at least 1 hour add small amounts of water to keep moist. After hour taste add more allspice till you obtain the favor you like. Chill for a couple of hours till firm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here