Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Gilroy Garlic Bread - did this recipe come from here?

Posted by becky_ca (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 07 at 18:33

I hosted a lunch today for some people from my DH's office -
Chicken Caesar Salad with this bread. To say it was a hit would be putting it mildly - some things are just worth the splurge...

* Exported from MasterCook *

GILROY GARLIC BREAD

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 cup butter -- (1 1/2 sticks) room temp
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3
ounces)
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 large garlic cloves -- minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano -- (generous) crumbled
1 1 pound loaf French bread -- halved lengthwise

Thoroughly combine first 6 ingredients in medium bowl. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Refrigerate. Bring to room temp before continuing.)

Preheat oven to 375*. Spread garlic butter on cut side of bread, wrap each half in foil. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate.) Place bread on baking sheet cut side up. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil from bread.

Preheat broiler. Broil cut side up until golden brown, about 2 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Gilroy Garlic Bread - did this recipe come from here

Hi Becky - I know that I, for one, posted that recipe many years ago - I found it in a magazine and it was a winner at the Gilroy Garlic Festival. Everybody we serve it to has the same reaction as your DH's office - love at first bite! It is really outrageous, isn't it. We hardly ever make it anymore - its just so rich - but it sure is a certifiable treat!

o

Thanks Woodie - I've added your name to my recipe notes :-) It sure was good - one of the ladies asked me what was on the bread, and I told her I would email her the recipe, and just to enjoy it since some things are better left unsaid LOL.

o

Just wondering if that is real mayo that you both use or is it Miracle Whip type mayo?

o

I only use Hellman's light mayo. I don't use or know anything about Miracle Whip so I wouldn't know if it would make any difference. My "guess" would be that it wouldn't matter.

o

I also used Best Foods (same as Hellman's) light mayo - I think Miracle Whip tastes a little different, but I think more than anything the mayo's adding a little creaminess, so it would probably would work too.

o

Miracle Whip has a very different taste from Mayo. The taste is very tangy, quite a bit of vinegar. I love it for certain things, especially sandwiches and potato salad.

It also does not take heat well, separates, so for a recipe like this I would stick too real Mayo.

o

Thanks, I'll try it with a light mayo then. It looks like a yummy recipe to try.

o

Becky:
Very nice recipe, and thank you
Phil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here