Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dspen_gw

RECIPE: Looking for a few ideas

dspen
9 years ago

My husband and I are invited to a neighborhood party this weekend and we are supposed to bring a favorite dip and there will be an award to the best one.

My problem is that I have used up all of my go to recipes at one time or another on them. So I am looking for something new to wow them.

Some ideas are Philly Cheesesteak dip, pizza dip or cheese and garlic crack pull apart bread.

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can give me

Diane

Comments (5)

• amylou321
    9 years ago

I have a go to chip dip recipe that sounds really weird, but is really good and i never ever have had to bring home leftovers.

2-8 oz blocks cream cheese
    1-small can chopped black olives
    1 tbsp grated onion with juice (use the smallest grater you can find)
    1/4 cup brine from jarred green olives

Just put it in the mixer and mix until its combined. Its good on chips or pretzels. My family sonetimes uses it as a sandwich spread too. You can make it ahead and serve it at room temp if you want.

• amylou321
    9 years ago

Or try this one. You can make the recipe as written, or just make the filling,put it in a baking dish, cover with more cheese and bake it for a few minutes and serve it with slices of baguette or maybe tortilla chips as a dip.

2 Baguettes or loaves of bakery Italian bread (not sliced)
    1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup chopped green onion
    2 fresh jalapenos, chopped fine
    8 oz cream cheese
    8 oz sour cream
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 350. Cut tops off of bread and hollow them out, leaving about ý inch border.

Brown sausage. Add bell pepper, jalapeno and green onion. Cook until bell peppers are tender, stirring often. Add cream cheese and let melt. Add sour cream and cheddar. Stir over low heat until combined. Divide mixture between 2 bread bowls and replace tops. Wrap in foil and bake at 350 until bread is crispy, about 20 minutes. Let rest about 5 minutes before slicing into sandwiches. (and electric knife works best.)

• amylou321
    9 years ago

Its me again! this really isnt a dip per se, and its not MY original recipe, but i found this online a few years ago and its always a big hit...

Olive Bruschetta

ý cup mayo
    ü cup chopped green olives
    ü cup black olives, chopped
    1 roma tomato, chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced finely
    1 teaspoon oregano
    ý teaspoon pepper
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    Sliced baguette or Italian loaf

Mix all ingredients except bread the night before. Refrigerate overnight. Spoon mixture onto bread slices and bake at 350 until bubbly. About 12 serving, depending on bread slices.
    (i alway cut the slices in half so it makes about 24-30 smaller pieces)

I know that EVERYONE has made a spinach artichoke dip before, but this is REALLY good, better than any i have ever had, so it still could get you a win.

Spinach Artichoke Dip

ý stick butter
    ý cup chopped onion
    4-5 cloves minced FRESH garlic (no garlic powder,salt,etc. FRESH ONLY)
    ü cup flour
    2 cups heavy cream
    1 10 oz package frozen spinach
    1 jar marinated artichoke hearts
    1 8 oz package cream cheese
    1 8 oz block Monterey jack cheese, grated
    1 cup grated parmesan cheese

Defrost spinach and squeeze out as much water as possible. Set aside. Drain and rinse artichoke hearts, remove tough bottoms, keeping only the leaves. Chop roughly and set aside.

Melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute or so. Stir in flour and cook for a minute. Whisk in heavy cream. Add Monterey jack and cream cheese until cheese is melted and the dip is thickened. Stir in parmesan, spinach and artichoke hearts.

At this point, you can either heat it through and keep it warm in a crock pot during service, or put it in a baking dish, top with more parmesan and bake it at 350 until brown on top and serve it like that. Serve with either pita chips or tortilla chips. Or when no one is looking, a giant spoonful is quite yummy. Straws, however, tend to pose some problems due to clogging issues.

• dspen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My goodness Amylou, those are some great ideas!! Thanks. I had forgot about the spinach artichoke dip.

I know my husband would like the chip dip one.

Thanks for your response

Diane

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Not a big fan of eggplant but I really like this. Her mom brought the "recipe" with her from Eastern Europe. Watching her make it without directions, this is what we came up with.

Kathy's Mom's Eggplant Spread

1 eggplant --- 350 F. for 1 1/2 hrs. cool 10 min., peel & mash; set aside

1 T. oil or more
    2 med. onions, chopped
    1 sm. bell pepper, diced
    4 oz. - 8 oz. mushrooms, diced (more is better IMO)
    (she used a 2.5 oz. jar)
    3 oz. each tomato paste & water
    salt & pepper to taste
    1/2 bunch parsley, snipped

Saute onion & pepper in oil; add mushrooms.
    Stir in tomato paste, water & eggplant; simmer 30 min. (uncovered)
    Season. Stir in parsley; cook another 5 min.
    Cool, jar and refrigerate.

Serve with Norwegian flatbread, stoned wheat crackers
    or Linda's tortilla chips. (this is either Lithuanian or Polish)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz