Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmom2_6boys

RECIPE: Potatoes? How do you use them?

gmom2-6boys
15 years ago

I live by potatoes farmers and have easy access to them. How do use them in different ways? Looking for creative and different ways to use them up.

Like when I make bean soup, I shredd a large potatoe into the broth to help thicken it up.

I need some great ideas.

Sharon

Comments (20)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have made a quiche using fresh grated potatoes as the crust which you bake prior to filling the crust with the quiche ingredients.

Also good, a Farmer's Breakfast: saute chopped onions and cubed potatoes (cooked or raw) until done, then sprinkle on cooked bacon, sausage or ham if you want meat, beaten eggs, s&p, cook until eggs are set, sprinkle with grated cheddar/American/Swiss/cheese on hand and let cheese melt. Turn out onto a plate and enjoy!

I have a crockpot soup recipe that uses cabbage, any leftover pork (chops, meat from a roast, hot dogs, etc.) and grated potato layered in the pot, cook on low all day.

Foccacia topped with thin sliced potatoes and rosemary is very good.

Spanish Tortilla is a thick potato omelette made with sliced potatoes, onions, olive oil, and eggs. Cut in wedges it is served in most bars as a tapas offering. Yum!

• lindac
    15 years ago

Oh dear...how do I use potatoes?
    I bake them I boil them I rice them I dice them and cream them, I make soup, and quiche crust, I use them in rye bread and dinner rolls, I make salad.
    I fry them, I make dumplings and patties, I french fry them and shred and make hash browns. I make kniches and gnocci..
    I make dye stamps and use them to pierce the ear of a friend.
    I use them to get a broken bulb out of a socket.
    I am sure there is more I am not thinking of....but that's a beginning.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Put them in soup that's too salty. Use the water you cook them in in bread recipes. There's more below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potato uses

• roselin32
    15 years ago

I make these and a friend that I gave the recipe to said she has to make them once a week!
    Oven Fried Potatoes
    3 large potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2" thick
    Mix together:
    1/4c light olive oil or veg. oil
    1T Parmesan cheese
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp paprika
    1/4 tsp pepper
    Overlap potatoes in a 9x13" pan. Brush with half the oil mixture.
    Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Brush with remaining oil mix and bake
    another 20 minutes or til tender.
    RL`

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

I love potatoes! Here are some of our favorite recipes:

Potato Gratin
    From Weight Watchers Easy Weeknight Favorites

1 garlic clove, halved
    Cooking Spray
    1 c chopped onion
    6 medium size baking potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 c shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
    1/4 c grated romano cheese
    1-3/4 c chicken broth
    1 c evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 425F.Rub a shallow 3 quart baking dish with cut sides of garlic halves, discard garlic. Coat dish with cooking spray

Coat non-stick skillet with cooking spray, place over medium heat until hot. Add onion, sauté 5 minutes or until tender; set aside. Arrange one third of potato slices in prepared dish, sprinkle with half of the salt and half of the pepper. Top with half of the sautéed onions and half of the cheddar and romano cheeses. Repeat layers, ending with the remaining potato slices.

Bring broth and milk to a boil over low heat in a small saucepan. Pour over potato mixture. Bake uncovered, at 425F for 50 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings

This one is from Marilyn, and I get requests for them all the time! Party Potatoes 6 medium potatoes 1 medium onion, finely minced 2c sour cream 1/2lb grated cheddar Salt & pepper to taste 1/4c milk 1tsp snipped chives 1/2c coarse bread crumbe 2T melted butter Boil potatoes in water with skin on until tender, cool and peel. Grate potatoes coarse. Mix potatoes with sour cream, cheese, salt, pepper and chives, place into buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs over top, drizzle with butter. Bake 1 hour at 350F

From my friend, Shirley:

Hot Dill Potato Salad

1T butter
    1T flour
    1/2tsp salt
    1/2tsp dry dill weed
    1c milk
    1/2c mayonnaise
    2T minced onion
    4c potatoes, cooked, peeled & diced

Melt butter, add flour and seasonings. Whisk in milk slowly, until mixture thickens. Add mayonnaise and onion, mix well. Fold in potatoes, place in casserole. Sprinkle with paprika, bake 30 minutes at 350F

These are to die for! They're literally a meal in and of themselves! Andouille and White Cheddar Over\-Stuffed Baked Potatoes Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2000 8 large baking potatoes, like Russets Drizzle olive oil Salt Freshly ground black pepper 3 tablespoons olive oil 2 cups thinly sliced onions 1/2 pound andouille sausage, ground 8 tablespoons butter 1 to 1 1/2 cups cream fraiche 1/2 pound white cheddar, grated 1/4 cup chopped chives 1/4 cup chopped parsley Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Season the potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool. In a saute pan, over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until caramelized, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Meanwhile, in a saute pan, over medium heat, add the 1 tablespoon of oil. When the oil is hot, brown the sausage, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage and drain on paper towels. Set aside. Using a sharp knife, remove the top 1/4 of each potato. Using a spoon, remove the flesh from each potato, leaving about 1/4\-inch border on each potato. Set the hollowed potato shells, aside. In a mixing bowl, combine the potato flesh, butter, and cream fraiche. Season with salt and pepper. Using a hand masher, mash until smooth. Add half of the cheese, onions, sausage, chives, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Fill each hollow potato with the potato/sausage mixture. Top each potato with the remaining cheese. Place on a baking sheet and bake until the potatoes are warm and the cheese melts. Remove from the oven and serve.

Wild Rice Potato Rosti
    From "The Ultimate Healthy Eating" cookbook

1/2c wild rice, cooked
    2lb potatoes, cooked and peeled
    3T walnut oil
    1tsp yellow mustard seeds
    1 onion coarsely grated and drained
    2T fresh thyme
    Salt & pepper

Coarsely grate cooked potatoes into large bowl. Add cooked rice.

Heat 2T oil in large non-stick frying pan. Add mustard seeds, when seeds begin to "pop" add onion, cook gently for 5 minutes or until soft.

Add onions to potatoes & rice, add thyme and mix thoroughly. Season with salt & pepper.

Heat remaining oil in pan. Add potato mixture, press down well and cook for about 10 minutes or until golden on bottom. Cove pan with plate and flip over, slide rosti back into frying pan and cook other side 10 minutes more, or until golden. Cut in wedges and serve.

Hash Brown Potatoes with Cream Source: St. Paul Hotel 1\-1/2 lb fresh shredded hash browns 4 green onion tops, sliced 2 c heavy cream 10 strips cooked bacon, diced Seasoning Salt to taste Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. Pour into a buttered 10 inch baking pan or casserole. Bake at 35oF for 45 minutes until golden brown on top. Linda
  • tom_k_mo
    15 years ago

Your suggestion about shredding a potato in your bean soup is good, I've also used a couple tablespoons of instant potato flakes for the same effect. What I've found that works as well if not better is to take about 1-2 cups of finished soup (depending upon how big of a pot you make) and puree the beans with a stick blender and put back in the pot. Does an excellent job of thickening up the soup broth. This was a tip from Emeril.

I also enjoy making Lyonaise potatoes, again an Emeril recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lyonnaise Potatoes

Recipe By :Emeril Lagasse
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:15
    Categories : Casseroles Garlic
    Onions Potato

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 Pounds Potatoes -- Peeled & Sliced
    2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    4 Whole Onion -- Julienned
    2 Tablespoons Garlic -- Chopped
    salt and pepper
    1 Stick Butter
    1 Tablespoon Parsley -- Chopped fine

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Place the potatoes in a pot of salted water. Bring the potatoes up to a boil and blanch for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, drain and cool.

2. In a large oven-proof saute' pan, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute' the onions until caramelized, about 8-10 minutes.

3. Turn the onions into a bowl. Place the pan back on the stove and melt the stick of butter. When the butter has melted, cover the bottom of the pan with 1/3 of the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the first layer of the potatoes with 1/2 the onions. Cover the onions with 1/3 of the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat the layering until all the potatoes and onions are used.

4. Place the pan in the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven. Using a spatula gently lift the potatoes out of the pan and place on a platter. Garnish with parsley.

Another good recipe is Creamy Scalloped Potatoes and Ham casserole. I cut the potatoes with a mandolin, it helps keep uniform thickness of the slices and they cook evenly.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy Scalloped Potatoes With Ham

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Casseroles Casseroles Main Dishes
    Ham Potato

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 Medium Potatoes
    3 Tbs Butter
    3 Tbs Flour
    Salt & Pepper
    3 Cups Ham -- chopped
    2 1/2 Cups Milk
    1 large Onion -- chopped
    Butter -- Pats
    3 Cups Cheddar Cheese -- Shredded

1. Heat Oven To 375 Degrees. Wash, Peel & Slice Potatoes.

2. Melt 3 Tbs Butter In Saucepan Over Low Heat. Blend In Flour And Seasonings, Cooking Over Low Heat, Stirring Until Mixture Is Smooth And Bubbly. Remove From Heat. Stir In Milk. Heat To Boiling, Stirring Consistantly. Boil And Stir 1 Minute.

3. In Greased 2-Quart Casserole, Arrange Potatoes In 2 Layers, Topping Each With Half The Onion And 1/3 Of The White Sauce. Top With Remaining Potatoes And Sauce. Dot With Pats Of Butter.

4. Cover And Bake For 30 Minutes. Uncover Bake 60-70 Muniutes Longer Or Until Potatoes Are Tender. Top with cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes. Let Stand 5-10 Minutes Before Serving.

• angelaid
    15 years ago

Blue Cheese potatoes. Just make Au Gratin potatoes and substitute blue cheese for 1/2 the cheese you usually use. Yum!

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

One of our favorite potato dishes is New England Pommes Anna.
    We use Maine potatoes and butternut squash. (Sometimes we add sliced granny smiths just for a change.)

3 large Maine potatoes, peeled
    1 butternut squash, peeled
    1 stick melted butter
    salt and pepper
    1 tsp crushed rosemary

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a mandolin, slice potatoes and squash thinly. Coat cast iron skillet with 2 TBSP of melted butter. Arrange potato slices in a circle, overlapping in skillet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a pinch of rosemary. Drizzle 1 TBSP of melted butter over potatoes. Next put down a layer of the squash, and melted butter. Then a layer of the potatoes, spices and melted butter. Keep alternating layers. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes or until browned. Run a thin knife along the edge of the pan. Carefully place a serving plate on top of the pan and flip the pommes anna onto the plate.

Love potato and cheese soup, twice baked potatoes, roasted herbed potatoes, and then there is bury a potato in the backyard to get rid of warts! lol NancyLouise

• annova914
    15 years ago

This is my all-time favorite potato recipe. I like to serve it with grilled steak. I like that it can be made ahead of time and then popped into the oven.

Cheddar Cheese Potatoes with Sour Cream

6 medium baking potatoes
    2-1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
    1 cup sour cream, room temperature
    1/3 cup minced onion
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    Paprika

Boil potatoes until tender. Drain. Cool slightly; peel. Shred into bowl. Preheat oven to 350. Butter 8" square baking dish.
    Cook 2 cups cheese and butter in heavy small saucepan over low heat until almost melted, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and onion. Season with salt and pepper.
    Fold into potatoes. Pour into prepared dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese; sprinkle with paprika. Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes. 6 servings.
    (source Bon Appetit mid 80s)

• roselin32
    15 years ago

I also like the way we had them in Germany......mashed with cooked, peeled apples.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Like Linda, I use potatoes in all the same ways. My son's favourite pizza is a Greek version topped with potatoes.

Potatoes added to a salty stew or soup to remove the salt is just an old wives tail and doesn't work. Salt dissolves in the liquid and there is no way to remove it.

Ann

• lindac
    15 years ago

And in a Spanish tortilla...

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

"Potatoes added to a salty stew or soup to remove the salt is just an old wives tail and doesn't work. Salt dissolves in the liquid and there is no way to remove it."

Wrong. I've done it.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

There are a number articles on line that explain why it doesn't work. This is just one of them.

Can you Save a Salty Soup

But, if you think it works for you, that is all that matters. And you aren't alone. There are many that believe this kitchen myth.

Ann

• shambo
    15 years ago

I believe the potato thing works in some cases. If something is full of liquid and the soup or stew is just slightly salty, then it stands to reason that dropping a whole potato in and letting it cook until very tender might lessen the salty taste of the broth once the potato is removed. While cooking, the potato is absorbing some of the salty liquid. So some of the salt would have gone into the potato and been removed from the remaining liquid. After all, if this were not true, then why bother salting the water when boiling potatoes for mashed potatoes or why salt the water for boiling pasta?

But whether dropping a potato in a severely overly salted soup will solve the problem, that's another question altogether. I think it would only work if you used several potatoes at once or in succession. That would take a lot of work, patience, & time. And you'd end up with a lot of leftover cooked potatoes.

I guess the lesson here is to be very careful when salting foods. You can always add some later, but it's pretty hard to correct over salting.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Precisely, Shambo. I never said it worked in all cases but does work in some especially when the potatoes are removed & not kept in the recipe.

• shambo
    15 years ago

In the interest of objectivity, I forgot to note that if the potato absorbs some of the salty liquid, you'd need to add additional water or unsalted broth to make up for the diminished liquid. The resulting broth would, indeed, be less salty.

By the way, since my husband is on a low sodium diet now, it took me a while to figure out how to make tasty mashed potatoes. You don't appreciate the contribution of salted boiling water for cooking the potatoes until you're not able to use it. Every time I made traditional mashed potatoes, they tasted beyond bland. Boiling peeled & cut up potatoes in plain water, seemed to wash away every bit of flavor. I finally learned to steam whole unpeeled potatoes until tender enough to mash. The steaming did not wash away flavor and the potato skins also kept the flavor intact. I just mash the soft potatoes, adding unsalted butter & some warm milk. I remove the potato skin chunks as I'm mashing, but sometimes I don't even bother doing that. Add several grinds of black pepper, some chopped chives or scallions, and the potatoes taste pretty good.

• ltcollins1949
    15 years ago

I am on a low sodium diet because of hypertension. I have been careful about decreasing my salt content, and then adding lots of different herbs to make up for the lack of salt. By using fresh herbs, you can easily decrease your salt and/or oil intake without losing flavor. Try adding roasted garlic cloves to your mashed potatoes. It is so good!

And I agree with Shambo and Ginger about the potato-salt issue. I was going to reply exactly as Shambo did about salted water to boil potatoes, pasta etc. And I do cook my beans in salted water, and I have never found them to be "tough".

• shambo
    15 years ago

LT, you're right about the garlic cloves. I sometimes steam some along with the potatoes when I'm planning mashed potatoes.

I also buy those huge jars of already peeled garlic cloves at Costco. I lay half of them on a cookie sheet to freeze individually, then put the frozen cloves in a bag to keep in my freezer. When I'm rushed (or lazy), I'll use those cloves instead of fresh cloves. I roast the other half of the cloves with some olive oil on a cookie sheet, freeze them individually too and then pack them into another bag for my freezer. That way I've got ready-to-use roasted garlic whenever I need it. And, believe me, when you're on a salt restricted diet, you need all the oomph you can get from garlic (and herbs, as you mentioned).

• lisbet
    15 years ago

A favorite quick breakfast: shred some onion on a box grater, then shred a medium sized russet (or baking) potato, salt & pepper....mix together, and fry in bacon fat or butter 'til crispy and brown on both sides. Serve with a fried, or poached egg on top.

When finished boiling potatoes, I pour off the liquid and save it for baking bread. Gives a delicious, soft crumb to the finished bread. (Just remember the amount of salt you used for boiling when putting together your bread recipe.)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!