Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally_grower

LOOKING for: Bread Pudding from doughnuts?

sally_grower
15 years ago

I've just aquired 6 dozen day old doughnuts and I can remember years ago eating bread pudding made from doughnuts. Has anyone heard of doing this or does anyone happen to have a recipe or advice or other ideas, they are powdered sugared, cinnamon sugared and plain doughnuts. Thanks Sally

Comments (9)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

There's one below for day old doughnuts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Doughnut bread pudding

• lindac
    15 years ago

I have never made bread pudding out of stale doughnuts...but I have made it out of lots of others tale bread stuffs.
    For non sweet breads, like hot dog buns, I made a mixture of 2 eggs and 1/4 cup of sugar per 2 cups of milk. Sorry no real "recipe" because it depends on the size of your dish.
    I fill a 3 inch deep casserole with chunks of stale "whatever"...and mix up 2 cups of milk, 2 eggs and 1/4 cup sugar and pour it over and let it soak in. Oh and vanilla in the milk! Always vanilla....about 1 tsp per2 cups of milk. If I need more, I make another batch of milk egg stuff, or if the dish is not that big, only 1/2 a batch.
    Pour it over the stale stuff and let it soak in....then bake at 350 until set, about 45 minutes to an hour or more, depending on the size of your dish.
    I often add vanilla or cinnamon to the egg milk mix....sometimes even use chocolate milk.
    If you are using doughnuts, I would cut down on the sugar a little bit, and I think that cake doughnuts would be better, less "gummy" than raised doughnuts.
    I think it would be more than delicious! I have made bread pudding out of stale cake and pound cake....and it's really yummy!
    Chocolate cake, with chocolate milk and eggs? Yeah!
    Linda C

• sally_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ginger and Linda. They are cake doughnuts, so I'll use the recipe but cut back on the sugar. I'll also make Ann's sauce, I hope together it won't be too sweet. Thanks again for the advice. Sally

• roselin32
    15 years ago

A friend of mine makes a lemon sauce for her bread pudding and it is not terribly sweet and makes a wonderful dessert.

• Happykate
    15 years ago

'Food and Wine' magazine, Thanksgiving 2006 (I'm thinking  maybe 2005) had just this very thing. Probably your public library will have back issues?

• benflower
    15 years ago

Check out bill nicholson's bread pudding recipe with krispy kreme donuts.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Since it's cake doughnuts check out the one below from Food Network. I'd skip the rum sauce.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bread Pudding

• sally_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I made the bread pudding and it was a big hit! I just made a standard custard recipe but with only 2 tablespoons of sugar and no cinnamon since the doughnuts had sugar and cinnamon on them. Then I made the caramel sauce (I think Anns from here). The next time, I'll try the food network recipe...minus the raisins!
    Thanks again everyone for the help.

• sillymesillyne
    15 years ago

>> 'Food and Wine' magazine, Thanksgiving 2006 (I'm thinking  maybe 2005) had just this very thing. Probably your public library will have back issues? Project Foodie has a krispy kreme donut bread pudding listed in the November 2005 issue. The site has back issue's for many cooking mags. Just click on a magazine title and click index to see how many years they go back. Once you choose the year you can then search by month. You can also search for recipes by name and it will bring up all that are listed in all the mags and a few newspaper cooking sections, too. It's a great site.

Silly

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking Mag Recipes