Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselin32

LOOKING for: Christmas Cookies

roselin32
17 years ago

Is it time to start posting Christmas Cookies yet???

Comments (96)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks, Anna I'll have to look.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Yum. Lots of wonderful new recipes to try.

To add to what paulines said about Lora Brody's Rugelach, I make those cookies every Christmas, a double batch. They can be done in stages and freeze beautifully. (I did discover making them in July was NOT a good idea - definitely a cool-kitchen cookie.)

Last year I tried this alternate filling for one batch and used the original apricot for the other:

1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    12 tablespoons sour cherry preserves
    8 tablespoons dried tart cherries
    8 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
    8 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts

Here's another recipe I really like for Christmas. It's a bit time-consuming but also freezes well. It's so rich I double the yield by cutting half-size squares; lovely in papers. The recipe doesn't say so, but I'd line the fan with parchment or foil for easy removal (cut after removal). This makes fairly thick layers, so if you have a bigger pan (I use a 12x12 now) you might want to try that. Just plan to remove from the oven a bit early.

Almond-Apricot Bars

Recipe By : King Arthur Flour
    Serving Size : 70
    Categories : Desserts Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Crust
    1 3/4 cups granulated sugar -- (12 3/4 ounces)
    1/2 cup confectioners' sugar -- (2 1/4 ounces)
    1/2 cup butter -- (1 stick, 4 ounces)
    1 teaspoon butter vanilla flavor or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 large egg yolks (reserve whites)
    1 tablespoon milk
    1 3/4 cups unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (7 1/2 ounces)
    Apricot Filling
    1 cup shredded or diced apricots -- (5 ounces)
    1/2 cup water -- (4 ounces)
    1/4 cup sugar -- (1 7/8 ounces)
    2 tablespoons brandy or rum (optional) -- (7/8 ounce)
    Almond Filling
    2 cups toasted almond flour -- (6 1/2 ounces)
    1 cup sugar -- (7 1/4 ounces)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 large egg + 2 egg whites
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon almond extract
    2 tablespoons unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (1/2 ounce)
    Chocolate and Cream Topping
    1 1/3 cups bittersweet chocolate -- (8 ounces)
    3/4 cup heavy cream -- (6 ounces)

Crust: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the sugars, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Add the baking powder, salt, egg yolks and milk, and beat well. Stir in the flour and mix just until a smooth dough forms. Press the dough into the bottom of a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake the crust for 10 to 12 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven, until it's lightly browned. Remove it from the oven, and set it aside to cool.

Apricot Filling: Mix all of the ingredients together in a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring once or twice, and then set it aside to cool slightly.

Almond Filling: Stir all of the ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl; the mixture will be fairly stiff and sticky. Set it aside.

Assembly and Baking: Spread the apricot layer over the baked crust, and then spread the almond layer on top of the apricot layer. Bake the bars in a preheated 375°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until they feel set -- a fingerprint will remain when pressed in the middle. Remove the bars from the oven, and cool them for 1 hour.

Topping: Melt the chocolate and cream together in a small saucepan set over low heat, stirring frequently, or in the microwave on low power. Continue to stir the mixture until it's smooth, then spread it atop the bars.

Let the bars cool for several hours (or overnight) before cutting into squares; no need to refrigerate, just cover the pan after the chocolate has set. Yield: 35 (1 3/4-inch square) bars.

Description: "This recipe reprinted from The Baking Sheet (r) (Vol. XII, No. 1, Holiday 2000 issue)."

These are the ones I cut into stars:

Alsatian Christmas Cookies

Recipe By : Carol (My variation)

1/2 pound unsalted butter -- room temperature
    1 cup sugar
    1 3/4 cups flour
    8 ounces almonds, ground
    4 1/2 ounces candied orange zest -- finely minced
    3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon rose water or lemon juice
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 egg yolk -- beaten
    Sugar and ground almonds for garnish

In a bowl, cream the butter with the sugar. Blend until fully integrated. Gradually beat in the flour, then add the rest of the ingredients. Mix thoroughly.

Knead the dough well, then cover with a damp cloth and refrigerate overnight.

Set oven at 400ºF. Place the chilled dough on waxed paper and roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters or a knife, cut the dough into various Christmas-shaped cookies. Brush the tops with beaten egg, and sprinkle with sugar and ground almonds.

Arrange the cookies on buttered and floured baking sheets and bake them for 10 minutes. Yields about 60 cookies.

Description:
    "Himmelgestirn (Little Stars from Heaven)"

This is a good Texas-size drop cookie. Can be made smaller for Christmas trays (yield 48) in which case you might also like to use regular-size chocolate chips. I like dried cherries in these as an alternative to the cranberries. If you crave chocolate . . .

Chocolate Comfort Cookies

Recipe By : Diane Mott Davidson
    Serving Size : 24

1 cup hazelnuts -- chopped
    1 package extra-large semisweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup sun-dried cranberries
    1 cup unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup granulated sugar
    3 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons milk
    2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups and
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
    1 cup marshmallow cream

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spread nuts on an ungreased cookie sheet and toast until they are lightly browned and some skins have loosened (7-12 minutes). Set aside to cool.

Butter 2 cookie sheets. In a large bowl, combine the chocolate chips, cranberries and cooled nuts; set aside. In another large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, cream cheese, and egg until very creamy and smooth. Beat in milk, melted chocolate and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa, then add to the butter mixture. Blend in the marshmallow cream, stirring until thoroughly combined. Add the chips, cranberries and nuts. Stir until well-mixed. Batter will be thick.

Using a 1/4 cup measure or a 4-tablespoon ice cream scoop, measure out batter and place two inches apart on cookie sheets, putting no more than 6 cookies per sheet. Bake 13 to 17 minutes, until puffed and cooked through. Cool on sheet 1 minute. Transfer to racks to cool completely.

Carol

• jackiwolfe
    17 years ago

brenda55, my mom makes that exact Ricotta cookie recipe! We always called them Italian Christmas Cookies, and they're a staple in my house at Christmas! I think she found the recipce in Taste of Home?

• laurielilac
    17 years ago

Yesterday was the first time I browsed about on this forum....and it may have to be the last. Already I have tried dances_in_garden's peanut butter cookies and my husband and I have eaten two dozen of them. At that rate, I'll roll in the New Year. Thank you dances_in_garden for a wonderful recipe. Laurie

• roselin32
    Original Author
    17 years ago

As requested:
    Crispy Chocolate Caramel Bars
    Crust:
    1 1/4c flour
    1/2c confectioner's sugar
    1/2c butter
    Blend well and press into a 9x13"pan. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes.
    Filling:
    14 oz pk caramels
    1/3c evaporated milk
    1/4c butter
    Melt and spread over hot crust
    Top with:
    1c semi-sweet chocolate chips
    3T shortening
    3/4c rice crispies
    Melt chips and shortening,add rice crispies and spread over filling.Cool and cut into squares.

• dances_in_garden
    17 years ago

Glad you liked them LaurieLilac!

About the peppermint patties, not sure if we tried that or not so I am copying it down. Thank you blizlady!

Dances.

• woodie
    17 years ago

I also make those Ricotta cookies! I make them at Easter too and I tint the frosting pink or light green.

Here are some recipes that we like for Christmas, even if they're candy!

Sharon's Peppermint Bark

1 lb bittersweet chocolate
    8 drops peppermint oil
    1 lb chopped white chocolate
    3/4 cup chopped candy canes

Line a 11 X 17 inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside

Melt bittersweet chocolate in a heavy pan over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in 4 drops of peppermint oil. Spread evenly over pan and chill for about 1 hour.

Melt white chocolate in a heavy pot over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining 4 drops of peppermint oil and then add in candy cane.

Spread white chocolate over chilled dark chocolate, spreading to the egde of the pan. Chill 4 hours.

Refrigerate just until just before serving then break into pieces. Will keep in the fridge for 3 weeks ( yeah right!!! LOL)

WHITE CHOCOLATE GINGER BARK

1) Melt 8 ounces of white chocolate broken into piecees in a covered microwave bowl for 3 minutes
    2) Stir in 1 cup roasted whole almonds, skins on, and
    1 cup diced crystallized ginger.
    3) Spread to an even 1/2 inch thick rectangle with the back of a wooden spoon or stiff rubber spatula. Refrigerate at least 45 minutes until firm.
    4) Cut into bite size pieces
    I think you could also toss in pieces of pretzel or something salty like that or make sure almonds are a bit salty, but if you like ginger, it is a tasty treat like peppermint bark.

White Chocolate Almond Bark
    1# white chocolate discs
    1/2 cup chopped almonds
    3/4 cup dried cranberries
    This only makes about 3/4ths of a cookie sheet.....probably enough for 2 little tins. It would look great in a dish on a desert buffet table.

• woodie
    17 years ago

Oops - I forgot one of my favorites and just for good measure, here is my favorite cookie recipe from my grandmother.

CHOCOLATE WALNUT PUFFS

1 cup (6 ounce package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    2 egg whites, room temp
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
    3/4 cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350.
    Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    Melt chocolate over warm water.
    Beat egg whites with salt til foamy. Gradually add sugar. Beat til peaks form. Beat in vanilla and vinegar. Fold in chocolate and nuts. Drop from teaspoon onto cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes at 350. Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes to set up.
    Makes 36 cookies

Diane's (Craftyrn)
    Tiger Bark
    ===========
    1 Cup milk chocolate chips
    2 Cups (12 ounces) vanilla milk chips or almond bark
    2 Cups peanut butter chips
    1/2 Cup chopped peanuts
    . Line jellyroll pan with foil. In microwave, melt 3 types of chips
    separately, stirring until smooth. Pour melted peanut butter chips into
    prepared pan, spreading level. Sprinkle on peanuts. Pour melted vanilla and
    chocolate chips on top, drizzling each randomly. To marbleize, use knife to
    pull through chocolate in wide curves. Refrigerate until set. Break into
    squares .

• brenda55
    17 years ago

Woodie 2, what a great idea to tint the icing for the Ricotta cookies, I never considered that! Thanks!

Jackiwolfe, I don't remember where I got the recipe from, remember I suffer from CRS, but I have gotten Taste of Home for several years, so that might have been the source. I like the name "Italian Christmas Cookies" better, too!

There are some really wonderful cookie and candy recipes here.

• jane__ny
    17 years ago

Which cookies freeze well? Also, can almond paste keep for a year? I have a tube of almond past left from last year.

Great receipes,
    Jane

• msprettyky
    17 years ago

A couple of really good biscotti recipes....

Brownie Biscotti

1/3 C butter
    2/3 C white sugar
    2 tsp. baking powder
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/3 C unsweetened cocoa
    1 3/4 C all-purpose flour
    1/2 C miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1/4 C chopped nuts
    1 beaten egg yolk
    1 T water or milk

Pre-heat oven to 375° F (190° C).

Beat butter until soft and add sugar and baking powder. Beat in eggs and vanilla, add cocoa and as much flour as you can by mixer and the rest by hand when the dough becomes too stiff. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Divide dough into two equal parts. Shape into 9 x 2 x 1 inch loaves. Place on a baking sheet 4 inches apart. Brush with mixture of water and yolk. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool on sheet for 30 minutes. Cut loaves into 1/2" thick slices diagonally (see photo). Lay cut side down and bake at 350°F (165 degrees° C) for 15 minutes. Turn over and bake other side for 10 to 15 minutes until dry. Cool. Store in airtight container.

Anise Biscotti

This recipe was my very first attempt at biscotti and has been my favorite out of all I have tried since.

2½ cups flour
    1 cup sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp anise (ground or seed)
    1 cup sliced almonds
    ¼ tsp salt
    3 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla (extract or pure)

Combine in large bowl, flour, sugar, baking powder, anise, almonds and salt. Blend on low speed. In seperate bowl whisk eggs and vanilla. Slowly add to dry ingredients untill resembles wet sand. Divide dough into half. Roll with hands. Shape into 12" log. Flatten to 1" thickness and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake @ 350 deg for 30 mins. Cool 15mins and cut into ¼ inch slices. Bake another 10-15 mins.

I sometimes melt white and dark chocolate to dip half the cookie in. These are a hit with everyone!

• mst___
    17 years ago

This is an old recipe that my mom use to make every Christmas. Very good.

Butter Cookies

1 pound butter (no substitutions)
    1/3 teaspoon baking powder
    5 cups flour
    pinch salt
    1 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon cream or milk
    2 eggs
    3 tsp lemon extract

Cream butter, sugar and extract.
    Beat in eggs.
    Add baking powder, flour and salt.
    Fill cookie press.
    Press desired shapes onto cookie sheet.
    Decorate with colored sugar.
    Bake on ungreased cookie sheet in 350 degree oven until done (lightly brown).

Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire rack.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There are some really good sounding cookies here....will have to save this thread.
    My DIL just reminded me that she likes these:
    Chocolate Snickerdoodles
    1c marg/part butter
    1 1 /2c sugar
    2 eggs
    2 1/4c flour
    1/2c cocoa
    2 tsp cream of tartar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    2T sugar
    2 tsp cinnamon
    Combine butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Cream well.
    Sift all dry ingredients except 2T sugar and cinnamon.
    Add to egg mixture and chill dough for at least one hour.
    Roll dough into balls about the size of a walnut. Roll in
    combined 2T sugar and cinnamon. Place on ungreased
    cookie sheet and bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes.
    Makes 4-5 dozen

• jenn
    17 years ago

OMG - chocolate snickerdoodles!!! The best of both worlds!

• Lisa_in_Germany
    17 years ago

Wow! these all sound so good! I have marked a couple that I really really want to try this year.
    I am not sure I will get much baking done this year because of being at the hospital so much, but I am certainly going to try. I am definitely going to bake the Christmas Cake recipe that I got from teh CF.
    The last couple of years, I have baked:
    Tea Cakes
    Gingersnaps
    Snickerdoodles (I am definitely going to try Roselin's eggnog and chocolate versions this year)
    spritz cookies
    Florentiner (My DH's favorite cookie)
    Coconut macaroons (DH's second favorite)
    MIL still bakes so many cookies at Christmas, so I don't bake the same ones she does. I am going to write down her recipes this year. She says every year that she won't bake so much, but she still does.
    Lisa

• Nonnie_GA
    17 years ago

This is not a cookie but you do eat it out of hand.

Saltine Bark

1 sleeve saltine crackers
    1 cup butter
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla extract
    2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Line a 15 by 10 by 1-inch jelly roll pan with tin foil. Lightly spray foil with a non-stick cooking spray.
    Place saltine crackers, salty side up, over pan. In a saucepan, boil butter and sugar for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in extract. Pour mixture over crackers and bake for 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolat pieces over top; wait 1-2 minutes until chips melt and spread evenly. Sprinkle with pecans pieces. Allow to cool completely.
    Break into pieces and put onto plate.

• jenn
    17 years ago

My mom made the Saltine Bark (or something VERY similar to it) last year and it was delicious. Without knowing it contained saltines, you'd never suspect they were there. She's one to try "different" things... I'm not..... and I'm glad she did!

Jen

• pat_t
    17 years ago

My all-time favorite:

ALMOND BRICKLE SUGAR COOKIES

2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
    1 egg
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 (6 oz.) pkg. almond brickle chips (toffee chips)

Heat oven to 350° F. In large mixer bowl combine all ingredients except brickle bits. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (2 to 3 minutes). By hand, stir in brickle bits. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls; flatten slightly. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 11 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned.

VARIATION:

Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies: 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips can be substituted for 1 (6 oz.) package brickle bits.

Recipe from Land O Lakes.

These look really pretty on the Christmas cookie trays:

CHERRY NUT NUGGETS
    1 cup shortening
    1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese softened
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon almond extract
    2-1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    1-1/3 cups finely chopped pecans
    Maraschino cherries, drained & halved

Cream shortening and cream cheese together, gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg and almond extract. Beat well. Combine flour, salt and soda. Stir into creamed mixture. Chill dough at least one hour. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in pecans and place on ungreased cooking sheets. Gently press a cherry half into the center of each cookie. Bake at 350° F. for 16 to 18 minutes. Makes about 4 dozen.

(I usually make a batch using green cherries and another batch using red cherries for Christmas.)

Posted by Dona at Mimis Cyber-Kitchen.

And one more:

CHRISTMAS CRINKLES

A drizzle of warm chocolate and a dusting of peppermint candy elevate these white chocolate wafers to Christmas cookie-swap status.

1 (4 oz.) bar white chocolate, coarsely chopped
    1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 large egg
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup (3 oz.) semisweet chocolate morsels*
    1 Tblsp. shortening
    Crushed hard peppermint candies

Place white chocolate in a small heavy saucepan, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted. Remove from heat, and set aside.
    Beat butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating well. Add white chocolate, buttermilk, vanilla, and egg; beat well.
    Combine flour, soda, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating well. Cover dough, and chill 1 hour.
    Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll balls in remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375° F. for 8 to 9 minutes or until bottoms of cookies are lightly browned. Cool slightly on cookie sheets; remove to wire racks, and let cool completely.
    Combine chocolate morsels and shortening in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate and shortening melt. Drizzle mixture evenly over cookies; sprinkle immediately with crushed candy. Yield: 5 dozen.

*Substitute 3 (1 oz. each) squares semisweet chocolate, if desired.

From Specialty of the House. Taylorville Business & Professional Womens Club, Taylorville, Illinois.

• iris_gal
    17 years ago

Found my most favorite almond cookie recipe. It is better than the best bakery's offerings. I've always used store bought paste but the homemade recipe is used by a friend and is very good.
    Hope you understand my abbrev. directions. I haven't quite solved the slivered almonds dislodging problem. I may try chopped almonds -- weight would help. But the slivered ones look so elegant.

*** Almond Triangles (Sunset 12-87)

2 1/2 C. flour
    8 oz. butter
    1 egg

Make above as pie pastry except knead a bit. Otherwise it will be too crumbly. Press into 9 x 13 pan. Set aside.

8 oz. almond paste
    2 eggs
    1 C. sugar

In bowl, break up paste with mixer. Add one egg and mix only til smooth (over-beating causes crust to form during baking). Stir in 2nd egg + sugar. Spread over above pastry and sprinkle with:

1 C. slivered almonds

350 - 35 min.
    Cool in pan. Cut 2" or larger squares, then triangles.

(almonds must be pressed into egg-almond paste layer to prevent dislodging when cutting.)

Homemade Almond Paste
    1 1/2 C. blanched almonds
    1 1/2 C. sifted pd. sugar
    1 egg white
    1 t. almond extract
    1/4 tsp. salt

Grind almonds fine. Mix thoroughly into stiff paste
    with remaining ingredients.

• eettorre_bex_net
    17 years ago

dances in garden;
    just an idea about the packaging of your treats to family every year. I also bake alot and give as 'family gifts' each year. Several years ago I purchased christmas tins at a local fabric store that they were discounting 40%. It was a litte bit of an investment but very reasonable and I've never had to purchase anything again. I put the families names on the bottom of the tins at the first christmas and while they raved over the sweet selection inside the tin, I told them, all they needed to do was return the tins to me sometime before Thanksgiving and I'd provide an neverending christmas treat each year. Noone balked, in fact I received the first tins back right at New Years. My mother-in-law quietly whispered in my ear that she thought since she'd gotten it back to me so quick I could refill it with treats mid-year too!! Christmas tins are everywhere and you should be able to easily find an array of appropriate sized ones for your family or check out the after christmas sales for next year.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Spread a Ritz cracker with peanut butter, place another cracker on top and dip the sandwich in melted chocolate.

They are fabulous and people never guess they are made with Ritz crackers.

I'm sure they wouldn't freeze well but they do keep a long time if not eaten. Mine are usually eaten.

• dances_in_garden
    17 years ago

catherine - that is a good idea and one we have considered. Our only problem is we haven't found a good number of reasonably priced tins in the size we need. It has to hold about 3 dozen cookies, 1/2 pound of fudge and peanut brittle, a small loaf of fruitcake, and about a dozen chocolates (more or less LOL).

We discussed having separate tins for the cookies and the candy, a separate pan for the fudge and wrapping the fruit cake. Stacked it would look like a graduated set of tins, or presents. But then came another problem. STORAGE. We simply do not have room for 13 or more tins anywhere in this house unfortunately. Someday though, some day!

Dances.

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

This is my all time favorite Christmas Cookie and we've had them every Christmas since I was a kid. We always use a cookie press, tint the dough and decorate with confections.

Cream Cheese Cookies (from Aunt Mildred Draher, Michelle Safirstein's Great Aunt)

1 c. Butter, softened
    1c. Sugar
    1-3oz pkg. of Cream Cheese*, softened
    1 Egg Yolk
    2 1/2 c. Flour
    1/2 tsp. Vanilla

Cream butter; Add Cream Cheese and Sugar. Beat egg yolk; Add Vanilla and Flour;

Chill dough over night; Must use either a Cookie Press or dropped tsp and pressed with fork.

Bake at 350 Degrees for about 8 minutes or until lightly brown on the bottom. These should be soft not crispy.

*I always double the recipe and just add 1-8oz package of Cream Cheese, I think the extra Cream Cheese makes a better cookie dough. And I sift all my dry ingredients. Make the cookies within 24 hrs of making the dough, otherwise the dough will loose flavor.

• granjan
    17 years ago

I'm bumping this up. Tis the season!

• carolync1
    17 years ago

I like cream cheese cookies and plan to try Brenda's Ricotta Cheese Cookie recipe. These may be even more unusual, with a definite cheese flavor. Sort of rustic in appearance:

Mexican Cheese Cookies (Palitos de Queso)

Adapted from a Betty Crocker International Cookbook. My Mexican friends had not heard of cheese cookies, but they liked these, anyway. They are quite crisp, so you would not want to make them too big.

1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 cup butter, softened
    4 oz. Monterey Jack cheese (1 cup shredded)
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder

1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Position rack in top third of the oven, as these cookies tend to brown from the bottom. Cream sugar and butter together, stir in cheese. Sift baking powder into flour and mix into dough, which will resemble pie dough. Knead lightly as necessary to form a ball (especially if the cheese was cold when you made the dough). Roll dough by teaspoonfuls into sticks, about 3 1/2 x 1/2 inch. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet (Do not use a dark-colored sheet. I covered my cookie sheet with foil and sprayed with Pam to reduce the chance of sticking.)

Flatten sticks to 1/4 inch thick or less and brush with beaten egg. Bake until light brown around edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Immediately remove from cookie sheet with a thin spatula and cool on wire racks. Makes 24 cookies.

Notes: You may wish to make a double recipe using a full 8 oz. brick of cheese. One egg is plenty to brush the tops of a double batch of cookies, or if you forget the egg wash, just don't tell anyone. The cookies will just not have that extra little shine.

I put some lemon zest in my dough, and would favor adding fresh lemon or orange zest with the butter and sugar as a standard flavoring. You might also divide the dough and add additional flavorings to portions of the dough before the final light kneading: crushed or whole anise seed, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, freshly crushed cardamom, red pepper flakes, a little cocoa and cinnamon, etc. Probably not authentic, but could be interesting. I tried anise seed (with lemon zest) in part of mine and liked it. For less pronounced cheese flavor, some of the Mexican cheeses are even milder than the typical Monterey Jack, but may change the characteristics of the cookies.

The dough refrigerates well, but allow cookies to come close to room temperature on the cookie sheet before baking, or the bottoms of the cookies may become over-browned before the tops are done.

• carolync1
    17 years ago

Ginger,

Rather than worry about finding paraffin to mix with chocolate for dipping cookies and similar confections, you might try just using those chocolate wafers made just for amateur dipping of candy (not real chocolate which must be tempered, kept at proper humidity, etc). You could choose dark, light or white. Even though the chocolate coatings are easier to handle than real chocolate, I still leave the dipped confections to my MIL.

I am not so ambitious, and tend to stick to cookies which need little adornment. Even narrowing the field in this way, with so many people contributing their very favorite recipes to this thread, it's hard to choose among them.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shall we add to this thread this year??

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Good idea! New people will have new recipes.

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Glad this was bumped! I just started making my Christmas cookie list.

• pat_t
    16 years ago

New people? What about us oldies? LOL

CHUNKY BRAZIL NUT DROP COOKIES

1/2 cup coconut, shredded
    2 cups Brazil nuts, quartered
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
    1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
    2 large eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup shortening

Cream shortening, butter, and sugar until light. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Sift together the flour, soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended. Stir in the Brazil nut pieces and coconut.
    With a tsp., drop cookie dough onto lightly greased baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 F. for about 12 to 15 minutes.

SOUR CREAM LEMON SHORTBREAD BARS

Crust:
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 tsp. lemon zest
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into several pieces

Lemon Topping:
    3 large eggs, room temperature
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    6 Tblsp. sour cream
    3 Tblsp. all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    Zest of 2 lemons (1 generous Tblsp.)

Preheat oven to 350 F. In the bowl of a food processor, whiz together the flour, sugar lemon zest and salt. Add in butter and pulse until mixture reaches a crumbly, sandy (with some pea-sized chunks of butter remaining) pieces. Press evenly into 9x13 pan and bake for 16-19 minutes, until just slightly golden at the corners. While the crust is baking, beat together the remaining ingredients until smooth. When the crust comes out of the oven, pour in the lemon filling while it is hot, then return pan to the oven. Bake for 25 minutes, until set and slightly browned at the corners. Set pan on a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 16 large bars.

Recipe from http://bakingbites.com.

BITTER KOEKJES
    (DUTCH ALMOND COOKIES)
    1 heaping cup almond paste
    3/4 cup sugar
    3 egg whites, room temperature and beaten stiff

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix together almond paste and sugar. Add egg whites. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Bake 18-23 minutes or until browned. Remove from paper when taken from oven. Cool on rack.

Note: If you have it, parchment paper works best for lining the cookie sheets.

Recipe courtesy of Jackie Passant - Spring Green, WI.

• patti_bee
    16 years ago

I've just found this forum after hanging out on the Kitchen forum during our recent remodel. I'd love to add two family favorite cookie recipes to this wonderful compilation.

Apricot Sour Bars

2/3 c. butter
    1 1/2 c. flour
    Cut together; pat in 9x9 pan. Bake @ 350 15 min.

1 egg
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    1/2 t. vanilla
    1/2c. snipped dried apricots
    1/2 c. chopped pecans
    Beat egg, sugar and vanilla together. Stir in apricots and nuts. Spread over crust and bake 20 min. Spread lemon glaze on top (2 T. lemon juice with 3/4 c. pwd. sugar) Double recipe for 9x13 pan. Cut into squares; holds well in a tin.

And another favorite --

Oatmeal Lace Cookies
    1 c. quick cooking oats
    1 c. sugar
    3 T. flour
    1/2 t. baking powder
    1/2 t. salt
    Mix dry ingredients together.

Add:
    1/2 c. melted butter
    1 t. vanilla
    1 beaten egg
    Refrigerate overnight.

Dough will be solid. Line cookie sheets with parchment. Drop 1/2 t. dough 3 inches apart. Bake @ 325° for 11 min. Cool briefly then remove to wire rack.

Wipe parchment between baking batches. Dont reduce sugar cookies wont spread. These are a delicate oatmeal cousin of Florentines -- a crisp delight. I love them because they are so quick to mix up and have on hand for a quick baking the next day.

• booberry85
    16 years ago

There are dual cookie threads going! I posted two recipes yesterday. One is called wedding bells which I'm going to call silver bells for Christmas.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Have to print out some more of these cookies that I missed last year.
    RL`

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

My Grandma used to make these, and they were my favorite.

Mint Surprise Cookies

Sift together-----
    3 c Flour
    1/2 ts Salt
    1 ts Soda
    Cream well-----
    1 c Margarine
    1 c Sugar
    1/2 c Brown sugar
    Blend in-----
    2 Eggs; unbeaten
    1 tb Water
    1 ts Vanilla
    Additional-----
    9 oz Solid chocolate mint wafers (if you can't find, use Andes mints. We found cocolate mint wafers in an old fashioned candy store this year.)
    Pecan Halves

Beat well and add dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly, cover and
    refrigerate 2 hours. Open a 9 ounce package of solid chocolate mint
    wafers. Enclose each wafer completely in a tablespoon of cookie dough.
    Place on a greased baking sheet, 2 inches apart and top with a pecan. Bake
    for 10-12 minutes at 375.

• Nancy
    16 years ago

Ooo, those apricot sour bars sound really interesting. I have that one saved...among too many others. I need to get busy! Thanks for so many great looking recipes.

• Virginia7074
    16 years ago

These are my husband's favorite. The recipe looks long, but it's really simple with the food processor.

Vanilla Crescents with Pistachio Filling

Vanilla Sugar:
    3/4 c. sugar
    1 2" piece vanille bean, split & dried

Filling:
    8 oz. raw pistachios
    1 egg white
    1 drop vanilla extract
    1 drop almond extract

Dough:
    1/2 c. butter, chilled
    1-1/4 c. sifted flour
    1/3 c. sour cream
    1 egg yolk

Vanilla Sugar:
    Process 2 min. scraping sides every 30 seconds. (Can be made 3 days ahead - cover tightly to store.)

Glaze:
    1 egg yolk
    1 teaspoon water
    1 tablespoon vanilla sugar

Filling: Blanch pistachios 10 seconds. Drain. Refrigerate 3 hours. Peel skin. Sieve vanilla sugar. Mix filling ingredients with 2 tablespoons sugar. Process to a smooth paste. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead.)

Dough: Cut butter into flour in processor. Add sour cream and egg yolk.

To assemble: Preheat oven to 375. Line pans with foil & grease. (I use parchment paper.) Divide dough in half. Roll with 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar and sprinkle top and bottom with 2 more tablespoons vanilla sugar. Roll to a 12" circle and cut into 12 triangles. Put filling at base and roll up to form crescents. Bake 10-15 min. Remove & brush on glaze. Return to oven and bake 5 min. longer.
    Makes 24.
    Source: Bon Appetit, September 1985.

• suska6184
    16 years ago

Marigene, are you still around? You posted a recipe back in Oct. 06 on this thread for Mexican Fiesta Balls that I would like to try, but I'm afraid there is a typo that I am not sure what's correct. Cocoa is mentioned in the directions (sift into other dry items) but there is no mention of any amount in the ingredients list. Does it really belong in this recipe, and if so, how much? Anyone know? Thanks so much. Happy baking!!

• woodie
    16 years ago

Thanks Patti Bee - both of your recipes have my family's name on them :)

Marigene is still around - I'll try to find her for you, Suska!

• tobygirl
    16 years ago

Suska: The amount of cocoa is 1/4 cup. The complete recipe is at parenthood.com.

I have made these cookies several times, and they are delicious.

• suska6184
    16 years ago

woodie2, tobygirl, thanks alot for your help! This weekend will be marathon baking for me, now that the college girl has returned home. Happy Holidays All!

• paulines
    15 years ago

Did I miss a recipe for thumbprint cookies? I made some last year that were *outstanding* and can't seem to find the recipe. I could have sworn I got it from this thread, lol

• roselin32
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This recipe came from our paper........am going to try them next week: Just a little tweak from a recipe I have called Mexican Wedding cookies. Think this is also a CL cookie.
    German Drop Cookies
    1 3/4c all purpose flour
    1/2c sugar
    1c butter, softened
    1/8 tsp salt
    1c chopped pecans
    1/2c powdered sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    Preheat oven to 350°.
    Combine first 5 ingredients with spoon and shpe into 1" balls.Place on baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake for 20 minutes. Combine powdered sugar and cinnamon and sift over wamr cookies.
    Yield 5 dozen.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bumping this back up for 2011

• Bev Cashen
    12 years ago

These cookie bars are so easy to make and very delicious. You can't eat just one!

2 sticks butter
    1 c. granulated sugar
    1 c light brown sugar, firmly packed
    2 large eggs, well beaten
    2 c. self-rising flour
    1 c. toasted pecans (I used walnuts)
    2 tsp. pure vanilla

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Melt butter and add sugars. Blend well by hand
    (no mixer). Add beaten eggs, stir well. Add self-rising flour and stir until the lumps are gone, just until blended.
    Add pecans and vanilla.
    Turn out into a greased and floured 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread with your fingers or a spatula dipped in water.

Bake approximately 40 to 50 minutes (ovens vary) being careful not to over bake.

When cool, cut into squares.

Note: You can dust these with powdered sugar while still warm. I have also added a pinch of cinnamon to the sugar. You can use pecans or walnuts, both or good. I have also thrown in a 1/2 cup simi-sweet chocolate chunks, however the cookies are delicious without the chocolate.

I made these in the medium pan I melted the butter in. No need to dirty a bowl. Quick & easy!

You will like them!

• roselin32
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Time to bring this thread back up?

• roselin32
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stacey, your cookies all look very good....you might take a look at some of these too.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For folks that might have misses these over the years.

• woodie
    9 years ago

Roselin, I saved your browned butter cookie recipe in 2006 and just made them yesterday (yes it is 2014 LOL). Better late than never! They are awesome, just like you said. Thank you! (I did increase the cardamom by a bit because Ken's tastebuds just aren't what they used to be.) We both love them.

• dandyrandylou
    8 years ago

What a super thread to find in early August 2015! Plan to copy and try every one over time! My favorites have been listed (especially English Tea Cookies) and thanks to all who contributed.

These are from a close friend who recently died at 106 years of age. She made these every Christmas and this is her recipe as written.

Sand Tarts

2-1/4 c granulated sugar

1/2 lb (1 c) butter

3 yolks beaten

2 whites beaten

4 c sifted bread flour

1/2 t salt

Cream butter and sugar. Add yolks, then whites, then flour and salt. Roll thin. Use white of third egg (beaten until a little frothy) to brush center of cookie. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Decorate if desired. Bake @ 400 degrees 5 to 6 minutes.

Enjoy - and happy cooking.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Up late for 2015

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms