Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perfectpets

recipe: looking for: homemade italian bread

perfectpets
16 years ago

i have a craveing for homemade italian bread and i am haveing trouble finding a good recipe that i like. most of them involve a bread machine now and i always make mine from scratch. i don't even own a mixer!

plz help!

pets

Comments (5)

• lindac
    16 years ago

4 cups bread flour (approximatly)
    2 tsps salt
    2 envelopes yeast
    2 T olive oil
    1 1/2 cups water
    Make a sponge,
    Mix 1 cup flour
    with 2 envelopes of yeast
    add 1 1/2 cups luke warm water
    And whisk until there are no more lumps.
    Let it sit in a warm spot for about half an hour ( I sit it into my microwave...out of harm's way)
    It should get bubbley...if not wait longer.
    Stir in another half cup of luke warm water and a cup of flour mixed with 2 tsps of salt
    And stir in 2 T olive oil. And keep add ing flour, stir until it can be kneaded and turn out onto a floured board and knead 7 to 10 minutes adding flour as needed to keep it from sticking....more is not better!
    Place into bowl, cover and allow to rise until double, turn out onto your board and flatten, return to the bowl and allow to rise again until almost double.
    Turn out onto a board, divide into 2 pieces, beat one piece with the side of your hand until it's flat and all the air is out, roll up and shape into a loaf. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
    Place on a cornmeal covered peel and allow to rise until almost double, while heating the oven to 425.
    Toss a handfull of ice cubes into the oven and put your bread on to your baking sheet or stone ( which should be hot in the oven) and bake 35 to 45 minutes until golden.
    Linda C

• lisbet
    16 years ago

My recipe is pretty much the same as Linda's, with the exception of the water.....I use water that I have boiled potatoes in. In that case, take into consideration any salt that you have used in the potato water and make an adjustment in the recipe. (Whenever I boil potatoes for dinner, I save the water for making bread.) I also add a touch of sugar (not much). I use a misting spray bottle - the kind used by hairdressers; every 10 or 15 minutes in addition to a pan of water on floor of my gas oven (to develope the crustiness on the bread).

• lindac
    16 years ago

Potato water is good!...if you have been smart enough to save it!

• gourd_friends
    16 years ago

Here is our family's favorite Italian Bread. You can omit the sun-dried tomatoes and liquid smoke. I just made this recipe today, and have plenty to share with friends and family. The baked loaves also freeze well.
    Jan

Italian Supper Bread

12 cups Unbleached Flour
    1 cup sugar
    2 Tablespoons Instant Active Yeast
    2 Tablespoons Non-fat dry milk solids
    1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
    3 cups warm water
    2 Tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
    a few drops Liquid Smoke
    3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    3 eggs

First chop the sun-dried tomatoes and sprinkle with a few drops of liquid smoke, stir and add 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil. Let this set while you begin making the dough.

In a large bowl, start with 3 cups of flour, the sugar, yeast and kosher salt. Blend the dry ingredients, then add the sun-dried tomatoes and remaining 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil. Now add the 3 cups warm water and stir just to blend and then add the eggs and whisk until you have a smooth mixture.

Add the next 6 cups of flour, 1 or 2 at a time and stir until you have a sticky, but elastic dough. Use two cups of flour to flour the work surface and pour the dough onto the flour. Use another cup or more to cover the dough and begin working the flour into the dough until it is no longer sticky, and knead for 5 to 10 minutes.

Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let the dough rise until doubled.

Punch the dough down and divide into four pieces for four large loaves, or 8 pieces for 8 small loaves. Shape the dough into loaves and place on large, greased baking sheets.

Let rise for about 20 minutes and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
    Brush with melted butter and move to a cooling rack to cool.

Important: loaves are best if baked separately from one another.

Serve with your favorite Italian meal.

• eileenlaunonen
    14 years ago

Why liquid smoke? What does it do for the taste just curious TIA