Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanacherie

LOOKING for: Dip and spread mixes sold at craft shows

NanaCherie
17 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find recipes for the dip and spread mixes that they sell @ craft shows?

I would love to make some of these for gifts for Christmas.

TIA

Cherie

Comments (11)

• becky_ca
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I've made this brownie mix several times at Christmas for gifts. I made the mix up, put it in a gallon size ziplock bag, then put it in a brown paper lunch bag. Then I folded the top over about an inch a couple of times and paper punched a couple of holes that I tied a ribbon through to keep it closed. I taped the cooking directions to the outside of the bag, using a pretty font and colored ink. They turned out really cute, and the brownies are really good :-) I'll take a look through my files and see what else I have for you.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Double-fudge Brownie Mix

Recipe By :Diane Phillips
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup cocoa powder
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1 cup chocolate chips

Mix all the ingredients together and store in an airtight container.

Source:
    "The Perfect Mix"

Yield:
    "1 package"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Double-fudge Brownies (double-fudge Brownie Mix)

Recipe By :Diane Phillips
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1 cup unsalted butter -- softened
    4 eggs
    1 package Double-Fudge Brownie Mix -- (see recipe)

Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease a 13" x 9" pan. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add the eggs, on at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the Double-Fudge Brownie Mix, and continue to beat the mixture until it is smooth. Spread the mixture into the greased pan, and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.

Source:
    "The Perfect Mix"
    Yield:
    "2 dozen"

• becky_ca
    17 years ago

I use this blend all the time, although I've never given it as a gift.

Jerked Spice Blend (for fish or chicken)

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1 T. each: onion flakes -- onion powder,
    granulated garlic;
    2 t. each: ground thyme -- salt, sugar, dried
    chives or green onions;
    1 t. each: coarsely ground pepper -- cayenne pepper,
    ground allspice;
    1/4 t. each: ground nutmeg -- cinnamon

Mix spices together and store in a covered container. Coat fish or chicken before grilling or roasting. Or, stir a couple tablespoons into sour cream or yogurt for a delicious dip!

NOTES : My favorite combination...hot, sweet, and spicy! You can also layer the spices in a pretty jar and give this as hostess gifts.
    For 1.5 pounds of chicken legs and thighs, I mixed 3 T. of the spice blend with 3 T. cider vinegar 2 T. soy sauce, 1 T. oil and marinated the meat for approx. 2 hours before grilling.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Below are some dip mixes

• girlsingardens
    17 years ago

I was thinking along the same lines for friends and family Christmas presents also to have around here for surprise guests. Here are some that I found.

Stacie

Onion Soup or Dip Mix

3 onion bouillon cubes, crushed
    1 beef bouillon cube, crushed
    2 tsp. cornstarch
    1/3 cup instant onion flakes
    2 dashes pepper

Put all ingredients in a small sandwich bag. Seal well and store in cool, dry place.

Label bag as follows:

Onion Soup: Empty package into a pot and gradually stir in 4 cups cold water and 1 Tbsp. butter. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer 20 minutes. Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls, sprinkle with croutons or toasted bread. Then add one slice provolone cheese. Briefly put bowls under a broiler to melt cheese. Serve. Makes 4 1-cup servings.

Onion Dip: Mix one package onion soup mix with 2 cups sour cream. Chill before serving.

Dill Dip

3/4 cup dill weed
    3/4 cup accent
    3/4 cup season salt
    3/4 cup onion flakes
    3/4 cup parsley flakes

Combine all and place in a jar. The pint size jelly jars would be perfect here. To use: combine 2 tablespoons mix with 1 cup sour cream and one cup Miracle Whip in a small bowl. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend. This makes an excellent vegetable dip as well as one for chips.

Bacon Flavored Dip Mix

2 tbs. Instant Bacon Bits
    1 tsp Instant Beef Bouillon
    1 tbs. Instant Minced Onion
    1/8 tsp Minced Garlic

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl; blend well. Spoon mixture onto a 6-inch square of aluminum foil and fold to make airtight. Label as Bacon-Flavored Dip Mix. Store in a cool, dry place and use within 6 months.
    Makes 1 package (about 3 T) of mix.

Add these directions to label:

Bacon Flavored Dip: Combine 1 cup of sour cream and 1 package of mix. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Makes about 1 cup of dip. VARIATIONS: Substitute 1 cup yogurt, 1 cup cottage cheese or 1 (8 oz) package of softened cream cheese for sour cream.

Fill a large mason jar with any type of snacks for dipping (small snack crackers, pretzels, breadsticks, etc.). Attach package of dip mix to jar and decorate for gift giving.

Mexican Fiesta Dip Mix

1/2 cup dried parsley
    1/3 cup minced onion
    1/4 cup dried chives
    1/3 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup ground cumin
    1/4 cup salt

In a large bowl, combine the spices and store in an airtight container.

Attach this to the Jar:
    Mexican Fiesta Dip
    Makes 2 cups
    3 Tbsp. Mexican Fiesta Dip Mix
    1 cup mayonnaise or low-fat mayonnaise
    1 cup sour cream or low-fat yogurt
    In a medium mixing bowl combine the Dip Mix with the mayonnaise and sour cream. Whisk the mixture until smooth. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours. Serve with tortilla chips or fresh vegetables.

Ranch herb dip and dressing mix

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
    1/4 cup dried thyme leaves
    2 tablespoons dried tarragon leaves
    2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
    3 teaspoons garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper.

Directions:

Combine all and mix well. Store in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Stir or shake before using. Use as a seasoning in recipes.

Herb Mix Dip: use 1 tablespoon of the mix with 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Blend well. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Serve with assorted fresh vegetables.

Make your own Onion Cheese Dip Mix for parties.
    INGREDIENTS:

* 1/4 cup instant minced onion
    * 2 tsp. instant beef bouillon powder
    * 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    * 1 tsp. garlic salt

PREPARATION:
    Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and blend well. Spoon mixture into a small glass jar with screw-top lid. Label as "Onion Cheese Dip Mix" and attach instructions for use. Store in a cool dry place and use within 3-4 months. Makes 4 batches of mix. Each batch, equaling 3 tablespoons, can be substituted for 1 package of purchased onion-cheese soup mix.

ONION CHEESE DIP Combine 1 cup sour cream or 1 8-oz. pkg. softened cream cheese with 3 tablespoons of Onion Cheese Dip Mix. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Makes about 1 cup of dip.

Give this dip and dressing mix in decorative jars with instructions for making dip or dressing. Make a basket up with this dip, a pretty serving bowl, and fancy breadsticks, croutons, or bagel chips,
    INGREDIENTS:

* 2 teaspoons salt
    * 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
    * 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
    * 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
    * 2 teaspoons sugar
    * 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    * 2 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes

PREPARATION:
    Combine ingredients; blend well. Store in an airtight container. Give in decorative jars with directions below for dressing and dip. Makes 1/2 cup of mix, or 8 portions for dressing or dip.

Dressing:
    In a bowl or jar combine 1 cup of mayonnaise and 1 cup buttermilk.

Dip:
    In a small bowl blend 1 tablespoon mix with 1 cup sour cream. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.

Hope that these sound as good to you as to me. I think I might make a bunch of these and give a mix of them for Christmas presents.

Stacie

• brenda55
    17 years ago

Cherie, thank you for asking for these and thanks Stacie, Ginger and Becky for posting the recipes. Timing is perfect and the recipes sound great.

I am starting to make some cards out of card stock from an example I saw last year where they included a package of something (popcorn, soup mix, bath salts, etc.), but a homemade mix would be so much better. You can also use them to enclose a gift card. I don't have a really cute example yet, just a basic one that I am working on. I am tired of paying $3-4 dollars for a card, plus I hated to have to go to the store to pick one up, yada, yada, yada.

• nsf798
    17 years ago

Last year for Christmas I made up some gift bags with this recipe:

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE MESS - - crockpot cake

Ingredients:
    1 chocolate cake mix
    1 cup chocolate chips
    1 3 oz. pkg. instant chocolate pudding
    ¾ cup oil
    2 cups sour cream
    4 eggs
    1 cup water

Directions:
    Mix cake mix, chips & pudding until smooth. Add rest of ingredients. Spray crockpot with Pam. Pour mixture into cooker, cook on low 4-6 hrs., until inserted knife is clean. Serve out of crockpot with ice cream, whip cream, chocolate or caramel syrup.

I just put the choc chips in a ziploc bag, put in a cake mix bag & the pudding mix pkg. I typed up the recipe & put it in the bag. Everyone loved it and it's SO easy & delicious!!

• msazadi
    17 years ago

Terri...we can't make it w/o your recipe! Please????

Brenda, will you describe the process for the card once you finalize it? I might do that for a couple of friends who are more like me..we don't need more 'stuff' but we sure cook. Maureen

• brenda55
    17 years ago

Maureen, I'd be glad to describe the process, along with some pics when I get one done, hopefully by Friday.

Brenda

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

I have a book called "Gifts in a Jar". You should be able to find it at local bookstores or on amazon.com

Otherwise, here are a couple of links with tons of recipes:

http://www.frugalhomemaker.com/giftsinajar.htm

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/foodgiftsnack/giftsnack.html

http://members.tripod.com/~Tweezle/makemix.html

Linda

• girlsingardens
    17 years ago

Thought I would post an update of sorts. I went to a craft show today and they were selling these types of mixes. They had the chicken and rice soup mix selling for 6.00 a quart. I think the recipe is the same as this, it had enough for 3 sets of soup making.

Chicken rice soup mix
    * 2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
    * 1/2 cup chicken bouillon granules
    * 4 teaspoons dried tarragon
    * 4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
    * 1 teaspoon white pepper
    * ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
    * 3 cups water
    * 1 tablespoon butter or margarine

DIRECTIONS

1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cover and store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.
    2. To prepare soup: In a saucepan, bring water, butter and 2/3 cup soup mix to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until the rice is tender.

Now I think that I can make this for much less than 6.00. So guess what everyone will be getting for Christmas;)

Stacie