Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgrow_gardens

RECIPE: looking 4 dump cake rec.? Anyone heard of it?

bgrow_gardens
16 years ago

My Great Grandmother used to call it dump cake. I am not sure where she got the recipe? - But it was fabulous. We loved it and now she is gone but the memory's are still there. It was really good! She used bisquick in a lot of her cooking too. I'm wondering if she got the recipe off of it? She used cherry pie filling & I think a white cake? I remember coconut in there too.. Anyone have a recipe like that? I remember all the ingredients just dumped ito a casserole dish (9x13). She claimed it was so easy. We claimed it was so delicious!

Comments (8)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Check out these. White cake would work as well as yellow cake mix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dump Cakes

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I've always used recipe #1 (mostly) from that list. For a "fake" dessert, it is amazing!

I like to use 1 can of sour cherries in juice, drained, added to the 1 can of cherry pie filling.
    There is enough goo in the pie filling can to more than cover some extra cherries mixed in. It's just better that way, more actual cherries, but just as sweet and delicious.

• becky_ca
    16 years ago

I've never made the one you're referring to, but here's one that I've made several times that's seasonally appropriate :-)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pumpkin Pie Cake

Recipe By :Carole Steel
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup sugar
    29 ounces canned pumpkin
    1 can evaporated milk
    3 eggs -- beaten
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 box yellow cake mix
    1 cup nuts -- chopped
    1 1/2 sticks butter -- melted

Mix first 9 ingredients (through ground ginger) and pour into 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle cake mix over the top - push cake mix into the pumpkin mixture uniil you can see the mixture coming through the cake mix. Drizzle butter over top and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Bake at 375F for 1 hour.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• bgrow_gardens
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you ginger_st_thomas, those look really close to the ones she used to make. I'll be trying those soon! Thank you bumblebeez as well I will have to give your "variation" on an old favorite a whirl - love them cherry's ! That pumpkin pie cake looks yummy to you can be sure I'll be trying that one too! Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

Barb

• nanabelle
    16 years ago

The recipe link that ginger st. thomas posted is the dump cake I used to make years ago. It is really good.

• trixietx
    16 years ago

I make the first one Ginger posted and take to the field about once every two weeks during harvest and they love it. I don't melt the butter, I slice it thin and put it on the top, next time I am going to melt it.

I always take ice cream or whipped cream to put on top when it is served.

• piper101
    16 years ago

Here is a Pumpkin Pie Dump cake from a local newspaper but don't know which one. I've made it several times since I love pumpkin.

1 Box Yellow cake mix, type with no pudding in mix
    1 stick (1/2 C.) butter, divided use
    3 eggs, divided use
    1 large can pumpkin pie mix
    2/3 C. Evaporated milk
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    chopped walnuts
    Optional topping: whipped cream

Oven 350 degrees
    1. Remove 1 cup cake mix & set aside. Mix remainder of cake mix with 1/2 stick of butter and 1 egg.
    2. Press mixture into bottom of a 13x9 pan and up the sides a little like a crust.
    3. In another bowl mix 3 cups pie mix with 2 eggs and evaporated milk. Pour this mixture into the pan
    4. Take remaining cake mix and combine with 1/2 stick of butter and cinnamon until crumbly.
    Add walnuts and sprinkle over top of mixture in pan.
    5. Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 min. or until knife comes out clean.

Here is another one that I'd consider a "Dump Cake" too.

All-Star Pumpkin Pie Dessert

For Crust:
    1 (18 1/4 ounce) pkg SPICE cake mix
    1/2 C. butter, melted
    1 egg
    For Filling:
    1/2 C packed brown sugar
    2/3 C milk
    1 (15 oz.) can solid packed pumpkin
    2 eggs
    2 tsps. pumpkin pie spice
    For Topping:
    1 C. reserved cake mix
    1/4 C. packed brown sugar
    1/4 c. butter, softened
    1/2 C. chopped pecans
    Whipped cream

350 degree oven
    grease a 13x9 pan

1.Reserve 1 c. spice cake mix for topping, set aside
    2.In large mixing bowl combine remaining cake mix, butter and 1 egg. Beat at low speed until well mixed. Spread in bottom of prep'd pan, set aside
    3. In same bowl, combine all filling ingredients. Beat at low until smooth and spread over crust.
    4. Combine all topping ingredients except pecans and whipped cream.,,stir til crumbly, stir in pecans, sprinkle over filling.
    5. Bake 45-50 min. until knife comes out clean. Serve warm or cool with whipped cream. Yield 15 servings,,,source says Land O'Lakes

• nancylouise5me
    16 years ago

This is the dump cake my mom always made for us. She uses peaches instead of cherries. Served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...I'm in heaven!

Ruby's Dump Cake

1 large jar peaches, 290z
    1 stick butter/oleo, melted
    1 box yellow cake mix
    1 cup walnuts or pecans
    1 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Into a 9"X13" baking pan dump peaches with juice. Shake the dry cake mix over peaches. Drizzle melted butter over cake mix. Sprinkle coconut over butter and lastly, shake nuts over coconut. Bake for 60 minutes. Easy and good tasting! NancyLouise

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio