Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucyny_gw

LOOKING for: nabisco famous chocolate wafer cookie recipe

lucyny
16 years ago

Anyone have a recipe that would be close to this cookie? One reason they can be very difficult to find, and second they are very pricey. The last time I purchased them they were around $4.50 a package.

Lucy

Here is a link that might be useful: choco wafer

Comments (18)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

You could try these & see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate wafers

• lucyny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ginger,
    I've searched, but could not find a recipe that would give the results I'm looking for. Will give these a try, it's the only recipe I've seen that states 1/8" slices, sounds like it could be the one. Since I mostly use these in other desserts & w/the package being only 9 ounces, they're pricey & not so easy to find when I need them. I'll bake some up, keep some as crumbs & leave some as rounds.
    Thank you

Lucy

• lindac
    16 years ago

Somewhere I had...or perhaps still have since I never get rid of anything ;((....a recipe for chocolate cut out cookies that were pretty well dead ringers for those wafers....but a lot of work.
    I know the recipe is not in my card file, so that means it's in a book somewhere and because of some re do work all my cookbooks are in stacks under tables etc....
    Maybe you can google something similar? I remember you used cocoa on the board to roll them out, but don't remember much else.
    Linda C

• lucyny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda, should you find the recipe in your stash that would be great. I've tried googling, didn't have much luck w/it being as close as possible to the real thing, although Ginger's find might be. I'll give it a try, chocolate cookies don't go to waste : )

Lucy

• lindac
    16 years ago

I think the cookies listed below sound most like the ones I remember.
    Based on the reviews I would suggest adding 1 T wheat glutin for 1 T of the flour and to measure the flour carefully and perhaps not add all called for....just enough to be able to roll the cookies.
    Also I would omit the baking powder. You want a really crisp cookie, not one that is in any way "light".
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: chocolate cookies

• lucyny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll try both recipes thanks, Ginger's for the rounds, I do have a need for them that way, & Linda's cutout's for the crumbs (since I use mostly those cookies for the crumbs anyway, for pie shells, etc and I think I'll roll that dough in the pasta machine, should work if chilled, then cut into 3" strips & adjust if needed; since they don't they don't need to cute in the application I intend for their use)
    Thanks

Lucy

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Lucy, post how the wafers turn out even if they're not the same - it looks like they'd taste good anyway.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Just this morning I was listening to the cooking show on WOR talk radio in NYC and the guest baking chef expert told a caller that she would never really ever be able to duplicate a commercial product because they use different ingredients than the home cook who uses pure ingredients - butter/sugar/flour/cocoa/etc. (FYI the caller was looking to duplicate Philadelphia's Tastycakes.)

Canarybird - I recently posted the recipe for that cake! I think I'll make it this weekend - we'll be entertaining some people who will be the perfect audience for it! And, they're young enough that they haven't probably ever seen or heard of it - at least I think so, because I also think of it as a dessert from the 60's-70's.

CHOCOLATE WAFER WHIPPED CREAM ICE BOX CAKE

2 Cups heavy cream
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    1 Teaspoon vanilla extract

19-ounce package Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers

Chocolate curls or chocolate sprinkles

Whip cream, add sugar and vanilla and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Spread one-half tablespoon whipped cream or topping on each wafer. Begin stacking wafers together on end (on a long serving platter) and stand on edge on the platter to make a 14-inch log. Frost with remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate for four to six hours. Garnish with chocolate curls or chocolate sprinkles and slice at a 45-degree angle so each serving shows the chocolate and white layers.

You may freeze this cake, covered with plastic wrap; thaw in refrigerator for one hour before serving.

• lucyny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Woodie, I understand I will not get an exact copy, & that's ok, just trying to get something as close as possible.

I was looking at the cookie, I could see very small nubs w/in the cookie, but not having the packaging on hand, had me thinking what is that? So this morning while in the supermarket I checked the ingredients on the package, the one missing item in the recipes is coconut, for sure it's finely minced. The other item that was different was baking soda, not baking powder.

Now I gotta work w/these recipes a bit and figure the amounts of coconut to add, sure it won't be much.

Hopefully, I'll have an acceptable cookie.

Lucy

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Woodie thanks for your recipe. I do know how to make the cake though as I used to make it frequently when I was younger. But here we don't get those Nabisco chocolate wafers, so I was hoping for a good copycat recipe for the wafers. However today I found some small Spanish-made Oreo cookies so I bought them as well as whipping cream and quark. I hope to use them to make a smaller version of that dessert for our dinner tomorrow, as it's a big Spanish national holiday (Dia de la Hispanidad) and I feel like making a little whipped cream dessert that doesn't call for cupfuls of sugar and butter LOL.

I know what you mean about impressing younger ones with it. It was a great dessert for students and young marrieds who had neither time nor money to make something more elaborate, and yet it seemed to surprise most folks when you starting cutting into it!

I hope you post photos of yours....and I'll do the same :-).

SharonCb

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Okay I see this forum is back in business again after disappearing for a while.
    In the meantime I made a fridge cake using Oreo cookies and posted it over on the Cooking Forum.

If anyone would like to see the recipe with step by step photos, here is the link below.

It sure was easy to make but I guess it's going to need a few runs around the block to work it off the hips afterwards lol!

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: Oreo Fridge Cake

• woodie
    16 years ago

I didn't make the cake after all, Sharon, but yours looks beautiful and I'll keep it in mind! I couldn't find the Nabisco wafers, LOL, I can't believe it - 3 stores and no cookies :) I bought some regular chocolate cookies - but then our daughter and granddaughter didn't come after all (SIL was in the hospital with that awful MRSA staph infection for 4 days.) Anyway, I went with another dessert since that chocolate was mainly for the 2 girls - next time.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    16 years ago

Post if you do try them. I have several recipes that call for chocolate wafers, but they are not available here either.

• lucyny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Haven't had the opportunity yet, but I'll report back as soon as I do.

Lucy

• michbois
    14 years ago

Hello,

I notice this query is a couple years old, but I thought I'd offer my findings all the same. After someone posted that these elusive chocolate wafer cookies might be found near the ice cream cones and icre cream fixin's, I went to our local Publix store, and low and behold, there they were! I was thrilled, as was my mother, who was the one who had actually been trying to find them. :)

Don't know if you have access to Publix, but here's hoping! Here's also a recipe that just might hit the spot on a warm summer evening.

***** Chocolate-Caramel S'Mores *****

Ingredients:

- chocolate wafer cookies or chocolate graham crackers

- Smucker's carmel topping - regular or sugar-free

- bag of large marshmallows

Place cookies top-down on plate.

Spread 1 teaspoon of caramel topping in center of each cookie to within 1/2 inch of edge.

Toast marshmallow.

Push 1 marshmallow into center of caramel.

Top with another wafer cookie.

Tip: In the unlikely event of leftover S'Mores, they can be reheated in the microwave at HIGH (100%) 15 to 30 seconds. Happy S'Moring! Michelle
  • ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

Nabisco makes a chocolate graham cracker, which looks and sounds like it may be very close to what you're looking for. They can be found here easily, with the regular and sugar-cinnamon graham crackers. Quite economical, too.

• Selenaserval
    11 years ago

2 oz unsweetened chocolate (squares)
    1 cup all-purpose flour (sifted)& 2 tbsps all-purpose flour (sifted)
    4 tsp double-acting baking powder
    4 tsp baking soda
    1 pinch salt
    2 oz sweet butter (2 sticks)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2 cup granulated sugar
    2 tsps light cream (milk)
    1 egg (graded large)

1. Place the chocolate in the top of a small double boiler, over hot water, on moderate heat. Cover until partially melted, then uncover and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat, and set aside to cool slightly.
    2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt,set aside.
    3. In the large bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter.
    4. Add vanilla and sugar, beat to mix well.
    5. Add the melted chocolate, and beat until incorporated. Then add the light cream or milk and the egg, and beat to mix well.
    6. On low speed add the sifted dry ingredients, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula, and beating only until incorporated.
    7. Place the dough on a piece of wax paper, fold the sides of the paper over the dough, and press down on the paper to flatten the dough to a scant 1" thickness.
    8. Wrap in the waxed paper and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes (no longer or the dough will crack when you roll it out). However, if you do refrigerate it for longer (even overnight) let it stand at room temperature for about 1 hour before rolling it out).
    9. Adjust two racks to divide oven into thirds, and preheat oven to 400.

1. Line cookie sheets with aluminum foil.
    2. Flour a pastry cloth and place the dough on it. (If you have doubled the recipe, roll only half of the dough at a time).
    3. With a floured rolling pin (which should be refloured frequently to avoid sticking), roll the dough out until it is only 1/8" thick (thin). I use a round cookie cutter that is 2 3/4" in diameter. Use any size you like, and cut the cookies as close to each other as possible.
    4. Place the cookies 1/2" apart on the aluminum foil. (It might be necessary to transfer the cookies from the pastry cloth to the foil with a wide metal spatula). Handle them carefully in order to keep them perfectly round and flat.
    5. Leftover pieces of the dough should be pressed together and rerolled.
    6. Bake 2 sheets at a time, for 7-8 minutes, reversing the sheets top to bottom, and front to back once, to insure even baking.
    7. Bake until the cookies feel almost firm to the touch.
    8. These are supposed to be crisp (they will become more crisp as they cool) and they should not be underbaked, but watch them carefully to be sure they do not burn. If you bake one sheet at a time, bake it on the upper rack.
    9. With a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to racks to cool.
    10. Store in airtight container.