Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: A question about pie :)

Posted by dee1 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 07 at 16:28

I'm going to make a lemon meringue pie, but don't know if the filling should be cool or hot when I put it in the crust and then when I put the meringue on it should the filling be cool, hot, room temperature, or does it not make any difference? I'm not much of a pie maker, I even use roll out crusts, but that is going to change once I use up the ones in the freezer and when my pie rolling mat arrives! Thanks Ladies. You guys are the best!! I am determined to become an excellent pie maker, so hubby and I are going to be eating lots of pie...ha ha ha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: A question about pie :)

Make your filling, once that's been cooked, transfer to a bowl & cover the surface of filling with plastic wrap.

Make meringue, pour warm filling into shell and spread meringue on top, covering filling completely, sealing it to pastry. Draw meringue up into peaks and bake pie in middle of oven until meringue is golden, about 15 minutes.

Lucy

o

Thanks Lucy. I appreciate your quick response. Tomorrow we shall eat pie! lol

o
RE: LOOKING for: A question about pie :) oops

Lucy, you didn't say anything about the crust, so I'm assuming it doesn't matter what temperature that is. Am I correct? Thanks so much for your prompt reply. The information is just what I was looking for.

o

Dee, it doesn't matter much the temp of the crust, however I do let it cool some, just for handling purposes . Then make sure that the meringue makes contact w/the pastry crust edge. During baking it will want to shrink & by making contact w/the crust it will have something to hold on to; ensuring there's no gap at the edges.

Lucy

o

Thanks again Lucy. I have the eggs out, warming to room temperature for the meringue. I hope this venture is a success. I'm sure hubby will like it no matter what! (Unless it is totally unedible!)

o

I find that when I make a soft pie I put powdered sugar in the bottom crust and take a spoon and spread it around. The crust in the bottom doesn't get so soggy. I read this in a book some place.

o
RE: LOOKING for: A question about pie :)...

Dee, your welcome...is it ready yet?? Let me know what time to stop on by...... : )

o

Lucy, I just took it out of the oven about 20 minutes ago. Looks pretty good for an amateur! Hopefully it will takes good. Stop on by later...do you prefer coffee or tea with your pie? ;)

o

Dee, so how did your pie come out??? Hope everyone was happy w/it.

Lucy

o

The pie was SO GOOD! It didn't last very long considering there is just hubby and me! I think I'll make a banana cream in the not too distant future!

o

Dee,
Thumbs UP!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here