Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benflower

RECIPE: Sourdough Starter

benflower
15 years ago

I am looking for a good sourdough starter recipe. I used to make it a long time ago, but have no source for the starter now. I did a search on this forum, but the only starter recipe I found uses yeast when you make the bread-- the one I had did not use yeast in the bread recipe.

You feed the starter with potato flakes, sugar and warm water and make the bread with bread flour, oil, sugar, salt and warm water. It makes great bread and also a delicious raisin cinamon loaf. Any help would be appreciated to find the starter recipe.

Thanks

J

Comments (13)

• pat_t
    15 years ago

Here's a link to a page that will certainly help.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bread Bakers Forum - On Potato Starters

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Here is the Batter Bread recipe that I use. It makes awesome bread!

starter:
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 TB instant potato flakes
    1 cup warm water
    1 TB yeast

Mix, cover, let stand 1 day then refrigerate for 3-5 days, then make bread.

Remove starter from fridge and let sit at room temp for an hour or two.

Add: (this is the "feed")

1/2 cup sugar
    1 cup warm water
    3 TB instant potato flakes

Let sit out a room temp, then at the end of the day, stir well and remove 1 cup starter to make bread. Refrigerate the rest of the starter. [Can make bread again in 3-5 days]

Bread Dough (mixer method)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup Starter
    1 t. salt
    1 1/2 cups warm water
    1 TB yeast

Put in mixer bowl, stir, let sit 5 minutes. Check to see that yeast is working. Turn mixer on low and add:

3 cups bread flour

Mix on #4 speed for 2 minutes, then add:

3 cups more bread flour

1/4 cup at a time on speed #2 - Knead 5 minutes on speed #4 with dough hook. Let rise 1-2 hours. Spoon batter into 3 regular loaf pans. Let rise in pan 1 hour.

Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

Each time you want to make bread, take the starter out of the fridge, let come to room temp, then "feed" the starter and continue to follow the recipe to make bread.

Hope this is what you are looking for - this bread is to die for!
    Teresa

• benflower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pat and Teresa-- Thanks so much-- Both sound like good options. Appreciate your help

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

Or take a look here -- folks who dehydrate sourdough starter and then mail it to you for free, all in the name of spreading the love of sourdough. I just sent away for this myself...

Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon Trail Free Sourdough Starter

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

My Oregon Trail starter has been going for the past 3 (or 4?) years! I love it!

Teresa

• tom_k_mo
    15 years ago

I'd recommend getting a starter from someone rather than trying to create your own. If you create a starter yourself, the starter is created by yeast and bacteria in the air, and that is the reason why everyone's sourdough tastes different, it's because of the natural yeast and bacteria in that local, that's why San Francisco is known for it's sourdough bread. If you make your own, you might get lucky and get a good flavored starter, you might just waste some flour and time. And even if it does taste decent, chances are, it won't taste like San Francisco's sourdough. If you get a starter from a good source, it will continue to grow the yeast and bacteria in that starter. King Arthur Flour's web site has a good starter.

Here is a link that might be useful: King Arthur's Sourdough Starter

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

While I agree with you, Tom, the Original Poster asked about a starter made with sugar, warm water, and potato flakes and that was why I suggested my Batter Bread recipe.

Also, J (benflower), I just re-read your OP up top and realized that you said your starter recipe did not have yeast in it. The original recipe for my batter bread also did not have yeast in it. I added it because I did not have the time (hours and hours!) to allow the bread to rise so I adjusted the recipe to include yeast and get the bread made more quickly.

Teresa

• benflower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll try Teresa's recipe first-- it seems to be the simplest way to start out. I am intrigued though the the starter options that you have sent to you (let me know how your's does fearlessem). Thanks to all.

• loralee
    14 years ago

I see where most of these are fed with potatoe flakes. Are there any that does not use potatoe flakes? Interesting that if you try to start your own that it might not work. I am willing to try to make it.

• loralee
    14 years ago

I requested tHe Oregon trail sour dough starter. Hopefully they are still sending it out, It is an old post.

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Tom, Although I don't disagree with you that there is a possibility of growing a sour dough that doesn't have a pleasant taste, my thought is that if you don't try you will never know. It really isn't very time consuming or costly.

Also, it is my understanding that regardless of where you obtain your starter, whether it is one from San Francisco or elsewhere, once you start feeding and maintaining it in a new location the flavour will change.

Loralee, I posted a response to your other post.

Ann

• benflower
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am the original poster. I used Teresa's recipe for the initial starter, which called for yeast. Then I just kept feeding with the sugar, water, and potato flakes. I did not use YEAST in making the bread, just the first time when I made the starter. IT MAKES GREAT BREAD WITH A WONDERFUL FLAVOR!!!!!! I still have the starter.
    Thanks Teresa!

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Yes, the bread is awesome! I'm so glad you tried the recipe and found it to your liking! Thanks too for reporting back.

Teresa

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!