Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beverlyal

LOOKING for: Dan Dan Mian (Noodles)

BeverlyAL
15 years ago

I had my first of these today and this dish was really good. Does anyone have a tried and true for this?

Beverly

Comments (10)

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

Hi Beverly - here is a recipe I've used often. I'll do my best to type it in here!

SPICY SICHUAN NOODLES (DAN DAN MIAN)
    serves 4 as a main course

"If you cannot find Asian noodles, linguine may be substituted. If you are using natural peanut butter or asian sesame paste that has a pourable rather than spreadable consistency, use only 1 cup of chicken stock. Also note that the amount of sauce will coat 1 pound of fresh noodles, but only 12 ounces of dried noodles, which bulk up during boiling."

8 ounces ground pork
    3 T. soy sauce
    2 T. dry sherry
    ground white pepper
    2 T. oyster-flavored sauce
    4 T. peanut butter or Asian sesame paste
    1 T. rice vinegar
    1 to 1 1/4 c. chicken stock (see notes above)
    1 T. peanut oil
    1 one-inch piece of fresh ginger, minced (approx. 1 T.)
    6 medium cloves fresh garlic, minced (about 2 T.)
    3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 T. Asian sesame oil
    12 oz. dried Asian noodles or 1 lb. fresh Asian noodles (width between linguine and fettuccine or substitute 12 ounces linguine)
    3 medium scallions, sliced thin (approx. 1/3 cup)
    2 cups mung bean sprouts

Combine pork, 1 T. soy sauce, sherry and pinch of white pepper in a small bowl - stir well with a fork and set aside while preparing other ingredients.

Whisk together oyster-flavored sauce, remaining soy sauce, peanut butter or sesame paste, vinegar and another pinch of white pepper in medium bowl. Whisk in chicken stock and set aside.

Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large stockpot over high heat.

Meanwhile, heat a 12-inch skillet over high heat for about 2 minutes. Add peanut oil and swirl to coat pan bottom (I use a wok). Add pork and cook, scraping along pan bottom and breaking up pork into small pieces with wide metal or wooden spatula until pork is in small well-browned bits (about 5 minutes). Stir in ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes - cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add peanut butter/chicken stock mixture - bring to boil, whisking to combine, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer to blend flavors, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Stir in sesame oil.

While sauce simmers, add noodles to boiling water and cook until tender (refer to package directions). Drain noodles, divide among individual bowls, ladle a portion of sauce over noodles - sprinkle with scallions and bean sprouts. Serve immediately.

Hope this is what you were looking for!

seagrass

• BeverlyAL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh thank you so much, exactly what I was looking for. I found all kinds of recipes for it on the web, but I wanted one that I knew would be good. I think it also has become DH's new favorite dish also.

Beverly

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

I hope you like it! It's not hard to make - just do it in stages. My husband & I can put a pretty big dent in this recipe just by ourselves so I would caution that it would make 4 servings for "light" eaters LOL!

seagrass

• tobygirl
    15 years ago

Seagrass: I made the recipe tonight for dinner that you posted above. I had never heard of it before, but after reading the ingredients, I just knew I had to try it. It was delicious! I have to confess that I added the bean sprouts toward the end of the cooking, rather than as a garnish. I knew my husband would have turned his nose up at raw bean sprouts atop a dish. He loved it, too. Thanks for sharing.

toby

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

toby - glad it was a success - how many servings did you get out of it??

seagrass

• tobygirl
    15 years ago

seagrass: I got two servings, with a few noodles left over.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

toby - that's like the two of us, we usually eat most of the batch ourselves...I wouldn't want to share with 2 other people!

seagrass

• BeverlyAL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finally remembered to get the sprouts today and made this dish. It is delicious Seagrass! And you were right, it would never feed two more people. DH and I scarfed most of it down ourselves.

Beverly

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

Glad you liked it!

seagrass

• linda_intennessee
    15 years ago

o=boy this sounds delicious
    will keep this recipe