Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

LOOKING for: Sweet potato recipes : not pureed or sweet

I love sweet potatoes. I would like to incorporate them more into main dishes. Not anything dessert-like.

Have any recipes to share?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

Here ya' go. Two that always please.

Spicy Sweet Potato and Smoked Sausage Soup
    8 oz smoked sausage (diced)
    1/2 cup onion (diced)
    1/2 cup celery (diced)
    1 tbl jalapeno pepper (minced) (I have substituted chipotle in adobo sauce to taste)
    3 cups sweet potatoes (peeled and large diced)
    3 tbl flour
    3 cups chicken stock
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    Saute sausage in large pot for 5 minutes over medium heat; add vegetables and continue to sauté for additional 5 minutes. Add flour and cook for 2 more minutes; add stock, salt, and pepper and stir till smooth. Simmer 20 minutes and potatoes are soft.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Onions
    2 large sweet potatoes
    (about 2 pounds) peeled and cut in 1 inch chunks
    2 medium Vidalia onions, cut in 1 inch chunks
    3 tbl olive oil
    1/4 cup amaretto liqueur ( I don't use this)
    1 tsp dried thyme
    Salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
    1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
    Heat oven to 425 degrees. Toss first 6 ingredients in a shallow medium sized baking dish. Cover; bake 30 minutes. Uncover, bake 20 minutes longer. Sprinkle on almonds

• annova914
    10 years ago

I don't use the honey or cinnamon in this recipe. It's really good and since I love the "relish" I always double the amounts.

Sweet Potato-Coconut Soup with Spicy Relish

Spicy Relish:
    1 T canola oil
    1 T unsalted butter
    Pinch of red pepper flakes
    ý small sweet potato, peeled & cut into a small dice
    Salt and fresh black pepper
    ü cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley

Heat oil & butter over medium heat. Add red-pepper flakes; heat for 10 seconds. Add diced sweet potato, salt & pepper. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until softened, 15 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to high & cook until diced potatoes are golden brown, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; stir in the parsley. (I like diced potato to get a bit crunch).

Soup:

1-1/2 T canola oil
    1 small red onion, chopped
    2â piece of fresh ginger, grated
    Pinch of red pepper flakes
    3 cups chicken broth
    ý cup water
    1-1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into a large dice
    1-1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (light version if you prefer)
    1 T clover honey
    Large pinch of ground cinnamon

Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and ginger; cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add red-pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Add sweet potatoes; bring to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are soft, 20-30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.

Use immersion blender to puree. Simmer over low heat. Whisk in coconut milk (or alternative), honey, and cinnamon. Cook until thickened and warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls; top with a spoonful of the spicy relish.

Serves 4. Per serving: 410 calories; 34g carbs;10 mg cholesterol; 30g fat & 4 g fiber.

Source: adapted from a Bobby Flay recipe

My note: the âÂÂspicy relishâ is the best part of this soup! Double the amounts.

• darlene87
    10 years ago

I have not used white potatoes in over 10 yr., I substitute sweet potatoes in recipes for white potatoes. Toss them in any soup I make. Have steamed them, then mashed them, and let cool overnight in the refig and make pancakes with them, made bread with them, using banana bread recipe, made fritters also. Many ways to use this useful veggie.
    darlene

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

We love them cubed, along with cubed white potatoes; drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper and copious amounts of peeled, whole garlic.
    All put in a baking dish and roasted at 375 till tender. Covered for the first while, then uncovered.

Also, just plain, baked is wonderful. No need for butter when eating them.

• taoseeker
    10 years ago

Classical rösti-potatoes are not bad at all substituted with sweet potato. If you aren't familiar with them, they are sort of patties made from coarsely grated potatoes, oil or butter, salt and pepper. When you get them slightly crispy they are usually very popular across all age gaps, and even cultural barriers.

The link is to a recipe with eggs and goat's cheese, but they are often made with neither; just potato, oil, salt and pepper. You can made them in a frying pan, and heat them up in the oven, they are even more crispy after a few minutes on a baking tray in the oven.

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet potato recipe on the web.

• glenda_al
    10 years ago

Family favorite with prime rib:

Baked Sweet Potatoes with maple-jalapeno sour cream
    Rub oil and salt on 4 scrubbed, sweet potatoes and dried
    Place on rack and take 450 for 40-45 minuts or until soft (I wrap mine in foil)

Topping
    Combine
    1/2 c sour cream
    1 Tbl maple syrup
    2 tsp seeded and minced jalapeno ***I use canned minced green chiles, drained
    1 tsp lime juice
    salt and tobasco to taste
    chill

Serve potatoes with:
    maple-jalapeno sour cream
    bacon bits
    sliced scallions

----------------------------------------

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

For the holidays, we make sweet potato casserole that has only a little butter, 1 Tb brown sugar and a little cream, to whip the potatoes, then they are put in the oven for 30 minutes and marshmallows are added to the top for the last few minutes.

• beth09
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is one I recently found. Super easy and very delicious. The original recipe called for wedges, but I cut mine into chunks instead. The smaller the chunk, the shorter the cooking time.

Sweet Potoatoes

3 lbs. sweet potatoes cut in desired style

6 Tbsp. butter, melted (I have found you can easily halve this with no repercussions)

3/4 tsp. salt

3/4 tsp. cinnamom

Combine butter, salt and cinnamon. Toss with potatoes and put in 9x13 baking dish, making sure to get all sauce in with taters. Cover and bake at 350 for 40-60 min. (I stir a couple times during cooking)

Enjoy!

• beesneeds
    8 years ago

I love using them in place of regular potatoes (baked or french fry sweets, yum), or with potatoes (scalloped potatoes and sweet potatoes is amazing). Kind of anything that calls for a processed winter squash- cubed, sliced, sauteed, baked, pureed, and so on.. you can use sweet potato instead and it's great.

But a super favorite is to shred and dehydrate them.. then use them is a ton of stuff. Stews, soups, casseroles.. all of it can benefit from a handful or two of sweet potato. As "fake cheese" on frozen pizzas- yes, I'm serious about that. I take a generic base pizza and add on a handful or two of dehydrated sweet potato, some frozen spinach, mushrooms... and a sprinkle of real cheese on top to "glue" it all down.. it's a stunningly good pizza.

Another super fave around here is twice baked sweet potatoes. Bake up your taters, scoop out the pulp, and mix with whatever you like. We love browned hot bulk sausage (what comes in one pound tubes) mixed with quinoa, or sauteed onion and spinach, or garlicky white canned beans, or mushrooms.. or sweet peppers... lol. the combo of fillings never ends.

I also dehydrate up cooked pureed sweet potatoes super crisp and grind them into "flour". I do the same thing with winter squashes. With a lot of breads, I use a portion of the regular flour as my veggie flour- tastes awesome and adds a ton of good nutrition.

• kimberleygrant1959
    8 years ago

My fave is simple to leave inpeeled but rinsed. Slice in halves length wise then again 2-3 more times to make long wedges. I season with smalm amt of olive oil. Fresh ground black pepper, cumin. Bake till tender. OMG.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz