Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Recipe Request: Perkins' Restaurant Coconut Cream Pie

Posted by posie4u (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 21, 06 at 14:38

I had a wonderful recipe for Perkins' Coconut Cream Pie; when my computer crashed, I lost it and cannot find a copy anywhere. Evaporated canned milk was used in the recipe, 3 eggs, the custard was cooked, and that is about all I can remember. I am hoping someone has that recipe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Recipe Request: Perkins' Restaurant Coconut Cream P

This might be similar. It's from the Griffin Food Co.

Coconut Cream Pie
3 egg yolks
3/4 c. Griffin's Flake Coconut
1 c. sugar
1 c. evaporated milk
1 c. water
3 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. Flour
1 tsp. salt

In a 2-qt. saucepan, beat 3 eggs. Turn on heat, add the milk and water. In a bowl, mix sugar and flour together and add to the egg mixture, stirring frequently. Add vanilla and salt and cook until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add coconut and butter. Mix well and pour into a baked 9" pie shell.

Meringue
3 egg whites
3-4 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. corn starch
1 c. Griffin's Flake Coconut

In a mixing bowl whip at high speed 3 egg whites until stiff. To this mixture add sugar, vanilla and corn starch. Beat again until thoroughly mixed and put on top of the pie filling. Sprinkle coconut on the top of meringue. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

o

Thank you so much, Ginger. Although I do not recognize this as the recipe, it gives me a starting point. The recipe I had did not call for water. Hopefully, experimentation will result in the wonderful recipe I had.

o

Check the one below & see if it's closer. No water in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coconut cream pie

o

Here's a recipe for a coconut custard pie from a long gone but well remembered bakery in Washington, DC

STEPHENSON COCONUT CUSTARD PIE (Makes 1 pie)
1 cup sugar
teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cornstarch
4 eggs
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup coconut
1 deep 9-inch or 10-inch pie crust, uncooked

Combine sugar, salt and cornstarch. Beat eggs and add to dry ingredients. Beat in milk and vanilla. Sprinkle coconut over bottom of pie crust, then pour in the egg mixture. Bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees, reduce oven to 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes, until custard is firm.

You can top it with anything you want.

o

Thank you all so very much. Can hardly wait to try these.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here