Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

RECIPE: simple cabbage preparation

melissa_thefarm
9 years ago

I'm looking for one or more simple ways to prepare cabbage. I rather like cabbage, and it's available and inexpensive, but I don't know many ways of cooking it. My two chief recipes are both Indian, and I'd like something more compatible with an American/European style meal.
Requirements are that the recipe be vegetarian (ovo-lacto: eggs and dairy are allowed), reasonably healthy, and fairly simple. I know how to cook and enjoy it, but don't care to spend long hours in the kitchen. Also I live in Italy, and some ingredients commonly available in the U.S., such as soy sauce and caraway seed, are hard to find or ridiculously expensive (no sour cream, either). I mention this because in the U.S. I would just slice the cabbage thin, sautee it, and season it with soy sauce.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (8)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

3-4 c. shredded cabbage
    2 Tbl. water
    1 Tbl vinegar
    1 Tbl butter
    Cook in covered pot until cabbage is soft. Add peeled, grated apple and heat until apple is warm.

Serve.

This is really, really good.

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Do you eat cabbage raw? This easy deli salad can last a few days in the refrigerator.

Claremont Salad

3/4 head of cabbage shredded
    1 small onion, sliced
    1 green bell pepper, sliced
    1 carrot, grated or 1 pkg. grated
    1 cucumber, sliced

dressing
    2 TB sugar
    3 TB vinegar
    2 TB salad oil
    1 TB water
    1 t. salt
    fresh ground black pepper

Mix all the vegetables together in a big bowl. Put dressing in jar and shake very well. Pour over the vegetables. Leave vegetables and dressing at room temperature for 2 hours, then put it in the refrigerator to chill overnight.

Teresa

• melissa_thefarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha ha, two people answered, even though I blew the thread title. The recipes sound promising, and I'm also trying at the moment to master a decent cole slaw, so perhaps one day I'll have a handful of good cabbage recipes like I want. Laceyvail and Teresa, thank you very much for your recipes. I'll give them both a try.
    Melissa

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

The words we use for coleslaw have a Dutch origin: kool (cabbage) and sla (salad). Dutch immigrants brought the dish to America around 1627, according to The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cookbook.

I like this sweet n' sour Amish version of slaw:

PEPPER CABBAGE

1 pound green cabbage, shredded
    1/2 cup finely chopped green peppers
    1/2 cup finely chopped celery
    1/4 cup grated carrots

Dressing:

1/2 cup cold water
    5 tablespoons white vinegar
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon salt
    Pepper to taste

Put all the vegetables in a bowl and toss well to combine. Mix the dressing ingredients together in a jar with a lid, shaking well. Pour over the slaw vegetables and toss well to combine. Keep refrigerated. I like to put slaw in a container with a lid, then I can just shake it up to mix the dressing and vegetables before serving.

Teresa

• melissa_thefarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Teresa,
    I'm late getting back about your second recipe, but thanks for it as well. All of these are going to be tried out when I have a bit of time to experiment (beginning soon: rain is forecast to start tomorrow and keep on going for days, and it will be out of the garden and into the house). I definitely like the idea of a salad that, once dressed, will keep for a while; one of the disadvantages of cole slaw as I make it, with dairy in the dressing, is that it needs to be eaten up more or less at one sitting.
    Melissa

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

We love cabbage! Sauteed with sliced oni
    on and shredded carrots is a terrific side dish.

On the weekend I made Braised Cabbage courtesy of Molly Stevens.
    It's so good!

1 Medium head green cabbage (about 2 pounds)
    1 large yellow onion (about 8 ounces)
    1 large carrot, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
    1/4 cup chicken stock, homemade or store-bought, or water
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Coarse salt and freshly ground black peper
    1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
    Fleur de sel or coarse sea salt

1-Heat the oven to 325. Lightly oil a large gratin dish or a baking dish (9 by 13 inch works well).

2-Trimming the cabbage: Peel off and discard any bruised or ragged outer leaves from the cabbage. The cabbage should weigh close to 2 pounds (if you donâÂÂt have a kitchen scale, consult the grocery store receipt). If the cabbage weighs more than 2 pounds, it wonâÂÂt fit in the baking dish and wonâÂÂt braise as beautifully. To remedy this, cut away a wedge of the cabbage to trim it down to size. Save the leftover wedge for salad or coleslaw. Then cut the cabbage into 8 wedges. Arrange the wedges in the baking dish, they may overlap some, but do your best to make a single layer.

The Braise:Scatter in the onion and carrot. Drizzle over the oil and stock or water. Season with salt, pepper, and the pepper flakes. Cover tightly with foil, and slide into the middle of the oven to braise until the vegetables are completely tender, about 2 hours. Turn the cabbage wedges with tongs after an hour. DonâÂÂt worry if the wedges want to fall apart as you turn them: just do your best to keep them intact. If the dish is drying out at all, add a few tablespoons of water.

4-The finish: Once the cabbage is completely tender, remove the foil, increase the oven heat to 400, and roast until the vegetables begin to brown, another 15 minutes or so. SErve warm or at room temperature, sprinkled with fleur de sel or other coarse salt.

Variation: Braised gren cabbage with Balsamic vinegar

I sometimes add a splash of balsamic vinegar to the cabbage to enhance itâÂÂs sweetness. In step 4, after you remove the foil, sprinkle on 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic and turn the cabbage with tongs to distribute the vinegar, then roast for another 15 minutes, uncovered as directed.

• moosemac
    9 years ago

I don't have an actual recipe but my mother called this Country Cabbage. Here's my best guess.

Half head of cabbage sliced thin
    A medium yellow onion, sliced thin
    1/2 to 1 cup of milk
    1 tablespoon butter
    Salt & pepper

Saute the cabbage and onion in a large skillet until wilted and just starting to brown. Add milk, salt & pepper. Cover and reduce heat o low. Cook until cabbage is cooked through. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

I love this but my family hates cabbage and the smell so I don't get to make it very often.

• bcskye
    9 years ago

A Facebook friend of mine passed this along to me. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to. It sounds pretty good and both DH and I love cabbage.

Garlic Rubbed Roasted Cabbage Steaks

1 (approx 2lb) head of organic green cabbage, cut into 1â³ thick slices
    1.5 tablespoons olive oil
    2 to 3 large garlic cloves, smashed
    kosher salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    spray olive oil OR non-stick cooking spray
    Instructions:
    1. Preheat oven to 400F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Pull outer leaf off cabbage (itâÂÂs usually dirty and nasty looking), cut cabbage from top to bottom (bottom being root) into 1â³ thick slices.
    2. Rub both sides of cabbage with smashed garlic.
    3. Use a pastry brush to evenly spread the olive oil over both sides of the cabbage slices.
    4. Finally, sprinkle each side with a bit of kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
    5. Roast on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Carefully flip the cabbage steaks and roast for an additional 30 minutes until edges are brown and crispy. Serve hot and Enjoy!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths