Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Bread Question

Posted by kim47 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 07 at 14:02

Yesterday was the second time I've made French bread. The crust came out very smooth unlike the first time were it was rough and crispy, the way it should, I would think. Do you know what I did wrong. It tasted good just wasn't pretty. Thank you.
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Bread Question

Here's a good explanation from Baking911:

BAKING: A very hot oven, such as 500 or 450 degrees F, is typically used for the first 12 - 15 minutes or so, and then the temperature is lowered to 350 to 400 degrees F, for example. The initial high temperature helps set the crust, then allowing the middle to bake and stay soft. To bake: thirty minutes before baking, place a baking stone in the oven to preheat, place an empty water pan directly under the stone and then, preheat the oven. Gently slide the loaves onto the preheated stone, or place the baguette mold in the oven. To get a crispy crust: Pour 1 cup of very hot water into the water pan and quickly close the oven door. After 1 minute, mist the loaves and oven walls 6 to 8 times and close the door. After 2 more minutes, spray the loaves and the oven walls again.

o

Ginger, I put this question on this forum by mistake, I'm glad I did. Thank you for the great info. I'll try it this way next time.
Kim

o

I don't use the water method but have found that starting the baking at a higher heat works for me.

o

Kim, I bake a lot of bread and all of it on a preheated stone in a 500�F oven. I don't reduce the temperature. I both mist the bread and toss ice cubes right on the oven floor. I like a nice crust.

French Bread Pictorial

There is some good information on this site The Fresh Loaf.

o

Ann,
Thank you for all the info, it will be very helpful seeing what it should actually look like. Like I said the first attempt was good and crispy, maybe I needed more ice for steam. I'll keep trying, practice makes perfect. I'll use my stone next time also. Thanks again I appreciate your time.
Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here