Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Bourbon Steak

Posted by kathleenca (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 13:34

I just posted this on the Kitchen Table & thought it ought to be here also. An older version of a stir-fry & very flavorful.

Bourbon Steak
4-6 servings

1-1 1/2 lb rib-eye or sirloin steak
2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp butter
2 tsp olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 c. strong beef broth
dash hot pepper sauce
3 Tbsp bourbon
salt, pepper
1 Tbsp chopped chives or green onion

Cut meat into thin slices. Pound meat between sheets of wax paper until about 1/8-inch thick. Pat dry.
Heat 1 Tbsp butter with oil in large heavy skillet until smoking hot. Quickly saute meat, about 20 seconds per side, adding remaining butter as needed. Transfer to plate as slices are browned.
Reduce heat under skillet to low. Add 1 tsp. butter & saute shallot one minute. Add garlic & cook until golden.
Whisk in mustard, beef broth, hot pepper sauce & bourbon. Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened.
Return meat to skillet & toss briefly to heat through.
Season to taste with salt & pepper. Sprinkle with chives.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Bourbon Steak

This sounds wonderful! Do you serve it over rice or egg noodles? I'll try this soon instead of throwing a steak on the grill.

Donna

o

Hi Donna,

I serve just as a small 'pile' of meat because there isn't any sauce to contribute to a starch. I usually have grilled or oven-fried herbed potatoes with it. Hope you like it.

o

Hubby has said this is a "must do" for the weekend. Salad, oven roasted potatoes and voila!!! Thanks for posting this!

Donna

o

Great sounding recipe! I jsut had Bourbon Chicken for the first time at a local restaurant. I think it may have been the same sauce done with thinly sliced chicken breast. At least it reads like it might be - I am certainly going to give it a try!

Thanks for posting

Alexa

o

That sounds wonderful. One of my butchers is having chip steak on sale this weekend. It's very thin sliced rib roast, used for Philly cheese steaks. That would save me the slicing and pounding so that's on the menu for sure this weekend. Thanks for posting it.

o

I made Bourbon Steak tonight and DH and I both loved it. I used the chip steak so the meat didn't look pretty (but it doesn't on a cheese steak sandwich either LOL). Next time I'll use the whole steak and do my own slicing.

I liked that the sauce wasn't too thick. The only change I made was to add a little bit of Worcestershire sauce while it was cooking down. Side dishes were sauteed parslied red skinned potatoes and corn and green lima bean succotash.

Thank you for a wonderful recipe, Kathleen.

o

Thanks for your interest, all; I didn't realize this recipe would be so liked. It's an easy & good beef recipe. I have made it for as many as 8 people, but that means spending half your afternoon slicing meat.

Ruthanna, I'm making it tonight (my DH is just back from 3 weeks in Australia & is hungering for beef) & I'm going to add Worchestershire as you did.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here