juantia

RECIPE: chicken & rice & cream of mushroom soup

juantia
15 years ago

Years ago I made a dish and I have forgotten the recipe. I do remember this:

Brown chicken in skillet

Mix cooked rice and soup

cook in skillet with lid

When the rice mixture would brown a bit on the bottom of the pan were the chicken dripping had stuck,it was so good and crunchy.

Not a lot to go on,but I have faith someone has made it.Anyone? I don't remember if I mixed the soup with water or milk.

Please help me befor dinner time!

Comments (5)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

This sounds similar. Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken rice

• Nancy
    15 years ago

Have you tried the Campbell's site? Here is their recipe for 15 minute Chicken & Rice

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken & Rice

• sue36
    15 years ago

My mother made that. It was called Chicken Continental. I have a photocopy of the original from the magazine (probably from the early 70s). It was one of my favorites, I just made it last week!.

Toss chicken parts from a whole, cut up chicken in flour (it has to be chicken still on the bone, boneless doesn't work. You can use all legs/thighs to save money, I don't think all breasts works, I've tried it). Brown all sides of the chicken pieces in a heavy pan using a little oil (the recipe says to use a stick of butter, I find that ends up burning). Set aside on a plate. Dice an onion and several pieces celery (5 stalks maybe) and cook in the pan (you can adjust the onion and celery depending on your taste, my father likess more celery). Take a can of Cream of Mushroom soup or Cream of Chicken soup and wisk with enough water to match the amount of rice you are going to use (see below). Pour half into the pan with the onion and celery. Add the rice and mix (you can use varying amounts of rice, depending on how many people there are, just make sure you use the right amount of water as well). Add salt and pepper to taste.

I make all this in a Le Creuset that can go in the oven. I just put the chicken on top of the rice, press it in a little and then pour the rest of the liquid over the chicken. Bake in the oven, 350, for 30 minutes or until the chicken is 160 degrees. My mother used an oven safe glass casserole. She would butter the dish and then put the rice mixture in the casserole, add the chicken and put the rest of the liquid on top. Either way, it has to be cooked covered.

This dish is always a big hit. I hope this is the recipe you were looking for.

• juantia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I new someone would remember it. Chicken Continental I had no ideal this dish had a name.Yup, I'm sure its form the 70's . We all really like it.
    Here's another one I'm looking for and I should post it.My sister made it for me when I was young.
    Party baked porkchops
    (this is what I remember)
    brown porkchops
    place onion slice on top
    add rice (min.)

Thats all I remember. Any suggestions?

Thanks

• tobygirl
    15 years ago

Sue: The recipe you posted for Chicken Continental is almost identical to one of the same name in an old cookbook I have from the 70s titled "The Art of Budget Cooking," by Minute Rice. I used to use that cookbook all the time back then. There really are a lot of very tasty recipes in it. Alas, I'm a casserole, one-pot meal, kind of gal anyway.