Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally_hosta_grower

LOOKING for: No Bake Fruit Cake

sally_hosta_grower
16 years ago

Much to my dismay, I can not find y recipe for a wonderful Fruit Cake that my mother-in-law gave me 30 years ago. It was made with candied fruits, nuts, crushed vanilla wafers and eagle brand milk...I think and it is not baked. If someone could help me out, I truly would appreciate it. Thanks so much, Sally

Comments (6)

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

I found this on the Eagle Brand website:

No-Bake Jeweled Fruitcake

Servings: Makes one (9x5-inch) loaf
    Serving Size: not available
    Nutrition: not available
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 0
    Total Time: 0

Ingredients
    1 (4-ounce) container green candied cherries, halved (1/2 cup)
    1 (4-ounce) container red candied cherries, halved (1/2 cup)
    1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped nuts
    3 cups graham cracker crumbs
    2 cups miniature marshmallows
    1 (9-ounce) package NONE SUCH® Condensed Mincemeat, crumbled
    1 (8-ounce) container mixed candied fruit (1 cup)
    1 (14-ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)

Instructions
    Reserve a few candied cherries or nuts for garnish if desired. In large bowl, combine all ingredients except EAGLE BRAND®; mix well to coat fruit with crumbs. Add EAGLE BRAND®; mix well.

Turn into aluminum foil-lined 9x5-inch loaf pan. With wet hands, press firmly into pan.

Garnish with reserved cherries or nuts (optional). Cover tightly with aluminum foil; chill thoroughly. Store tightly wrapped in refrigerator.

TIP: Fruitcake can be stored in refrigerator for several weeks.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Here's another.

Here is a link that might be useful: No-Bake Fruitcake

• murphy_zone7
    16 years ago

Hello...New poster but old lurker here LOL Anyway, saw your request and believe it or not MY MIL gave me this recipe at least 30 years ago and may be the one you are looking for. Have not thought of it in years and may just make it myself this year.
    IceBox Fruitcake
    1 pound vanilla wafers crumbed fine
    1 pound miniature marshmallows
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 pound butter
    1 quart nuts (4 cups) pecans and brazils coarsely cut up
    1 8 oz package candied pineapple red and green
    1 4 oz package candied pineapple yellow
    1 16 oz package candied cherries red
    1 4 oz package candied cherries green
    1 16 oz package mixed fruit
    1 can coconut

Warm milk - open and set in hot water
    melt butter, and add to warm milk in large bowl
    add vanilla wafer crumbs. Mix with all fruits, nuts, coconut, and marshmallows.
    Mix well. Best tool for this is your hands.
    Line pan with wax paper and pack mix in lightly. Refrigerate for a day or so and store in refrigerator.

Any size pan will work, tube, loaf, bundt.

Thank you for making me remember this recipe. It is really good.
    Murphy

• pikecoe
    16 years ago

My mother used to make this with the graham crackers and she always melted the marshmallows with the milk in the top of a double boiler until completely melted and then poured this over the crackers, fruits, and nuts. Mixed well and packed into a buttered loaf pan. Then removed from pan and wrapped with wax paper and then stored in the refrigerator. The longer it lasted the better it was. Glenda

• becky_ca
    16 years ago

I made this one once several years ago - we liked it, but it made a huge batch, and was almost too rich (and that's not normally a problem for me LOL). I haven't frozen it, but the recipe I have included those instructions, so I'm passing them on for what it's worth.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ice Box Fruit Cake

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (1 lb box crushed)
    2 cups chopped brazil nuts
    2 cups chopped pecans
    2 cups chopped walnuts
    1 lb candied cherries -- chopped
    1/2 lb candied pineapple chopped
    1 cup fresh or frozen coconut
    1 can sweetened condensed milk

Mix all and pack into waxed paper lined pan or dish. Cover and
    Refrigerate at least 24 hours before cutting.

**I usually make this mid-November and freeze and serve throughout the
    holidays. It is very sweet and tastes like candy.

Posted to Friendly Freezer on 11-4-03 by crsims@bellsouth.net

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• dew_g33x_com
    13 years ago

My grandmother's recipe is similar to the Eagle Brand Jeweled Fruitcake. Instead of mincemeat, she used chopped dates and all the candied fruit was chopped. I'm sure you could use vanilla wafers in place of the graham crackers. If you use the Eagle Brand Jeweled recipe's combined measurement of candied fruit you could add whatever you remember from the past just as long as you use that amount. My grandmother's says 2 c. candied fruit and one package of chopped dates. She used the marshmallows uncooked. After mixing all the ingredients by hand she pressed the mixture into a wax paper lined loaf pan with another piece on top used to press it in good. I use little loaf pans and give them to my children at Christmas time. You should refridgerate it for a couple of days and serve thin slices because it is so rich. Its not meant to eat in thick slices. Hope this helps. The first time I remember eating this was Christmas 1946. Write me if you want my grandmother's recipe.