Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

LOOKING for: Asian Salad From Queer Eye For the Straight Guy

suzieque
18 years ago

Hi -

A few years ago a friend served a wonderful salad. She said she got it from "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy", and she gave me the recipe. Well, I've lost it.

Here's all I remember: It had pea pods, crispy ramen or Asian noodles, and maybe halved cherry tomatoes (not sure about that).

I don't remember if the main green was lettuce, bok choy, spinach, or something else. I think that dressing was a wine vinegar-based, but not positive.

So - - not much to go on. I've looked all over the web and have found things that sound similar, but if anyone has the recipe from that specific show/cookbook, I'd appreciate it very much! (I've looked at their website and it's not there)

Suzieque

Comments (12)

• shaun
    18 years ago

Is this it? If not, he has a book out, here is his site below.

40 Wonton Skins
    1 pound dried soba noodles
    2 tablespoons sesame oil
    2 tablespoons chile oil
    1 4oz bottle hoisen sauce
    3 tbsp water
    3 tablespoons chopped green onions
    Toppings:
    Thinly sliced peeled, seeded cucumber
    Chopped cilantro
    Cooked snow peas
    Thinly sliced red peppers
    Toasted sesame seeds
    Small, cooked shrimp

To make wonton cups: spray wonton skins with oil front and back. Push skin into a small muffin pan to form a small cup. Bake for 10 minutes in a 400o oven or until wontons firm up and become crisp.
    Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, then drain in a colander. Rinse with cold water until cool. Toss in a large bowl with sesame and chile oil. Mix hoisen with water and pour over noodles, add green onions, and toss well.
    Place cold noodle salad into wonton cups just before serving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ted Allen Site

• suzieque
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Shaun - - that's not it, but I'm going to keep this one because it sounds good! Thank you, and thanks also for the site. I'll take a look.

If I ever do find the recipe I'll post it; it's delicious.

Suzieque

• suzieque
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi - I checked that link, and the cookbook isn't due out until next week. The recipe I had is a couple of years old or so. I guess it could have this recipe in it, but maybe not so likely. So ... still looking.

And Shaun, I DO like the sound of the recipe you posted, even though it's not the one and quite different. I'll try it!

Thanks all!

Suzieque

• lindac
    18 years ago

Suzie,,,,was it that recipe where you cook the ramen noodles in I think butter and sugar until browned and then cool them and crumble into the salad just before serving? Contains Bok choy, green onions....dressing contains some soy sauce and I forget what else?
    Think my daughter has that one....if that's it.
    Linda C

• suzieque
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmm...I'm not sure, Linda, but it certainly could be. I've not made the recipe - - just put it aside and lost it!

Sounds like a possibility - - if your daughter's willing to share it that'd be great!

Suzieque

• BeverlyAL
    18 years ago

Suzie, I think this may be what you are looking for. It's one of my favorites. Do NOT make this salad ahead of time. It does't do well at all. You can make everything ahead and not put the dressing on until the last minute if you want to.

Nappa Cabbage Salad

1 Head Nappa Cabbage (remove stems or substitute 1 package of shredded cabbage.)
    2 packages Ramen noodles (toss flavor package and break noodles into small pieces)
    1 small chopped red onion
    1 shaved carrot
    ½ cup slivered almonds
    ½ cup sunflower seeds or ¼ cup sesame seeds
    1 package snow peas (frozen)
    ¾ stick butter

Saute almonds, sunflower seeds and noodles in butter until golden brown. Cool and shred cabbage. Mix all ingredients and refrigerate while preparing dressing.

Dressing
    ½ cup vegetable oil
    1 cup sugar
    ½ cup white vinegar
    2 teasp soy sauce

Mix together in saucepan. Cook until sugar dissolves. Cool. Add to salad mix just before serving.

• suzieque
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Beverly, that may just be it!!! Sure sounds like what I remember - - I don't especially remember the sunflower seeds, but I love them.

I am planning on trying this this weekend - - thank you!!!

Suzieque

• shaun
    18 years ago

Yay! I love a happy ending!!

• mustangs81
    18 years ago

Susie, I have been refining this recipe. I finally came up with the following and it was a great hit:

CHINESE COLESLAW

NOODLE MIX
    3 packages original flavor Ramen noodles -- crushed
    4 Tbls black sesame seeds
    2 small packages slivered almonds

THE DRESSING
    1 c. peanut oil
    2 tsp. soy sauce
    1 c. sugar
    1/2 c. rice vinegar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 flavor packets from the noodles

THE ASSEMBLY
    Nappa cabbage  shredded entire head for a party
    The Noodle Mix
    The Dressing
    1 bunch green onions  thinly sliced

NOODLE MIX: Combine and heat in 300F oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, watching that the mixture does not get too brown. Cool. It keeps well in a zip-lock.

DRESSING: Combine and blend well. I use the stick blender.

THE ASSEMBLY: Make all components the day before. When ready to serve, combine cabbage, dressing, and noodle mix and toss.

• suzieque
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sounds great, Mustangs! I'll try this, too!

• Orso_bianco
    18 years ago

I have made the above recipe in and find that you really only need 1/2 that amount of sugar and oil, and it still tastes wonderful.

• BeverlyAL
    18 years ago

Actually I make the whole amount of sugar and oil recipe and found that I can use only half of it, refrigerate the rest and use it for another head of cabbage later on. It keeps very well by itself and you already have a start on another meal.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone