Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Chicken a la King

Posted by sapphires (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 12:14

Hi,
Please share with me your tried and true easy Chicken a la King recipe. I would like to make it for dinner tonight. Thank you.

Sapphires

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Chicken a la King

CHICKEN A LA KING
2 TBL butter
1/2 green pepper, chopped fine
1 cup sliced mushroom caps
2 TBL flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups half-and-half
3 cups cooked chicken
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 egg yolks
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp paprika

Heat the butter in the top of a large double boiler (or in a pan that maybe be placed over hot water later,) heating it on a slow heat. Add the green pepper & mushrooms & cook about 3 minutes. Stir in flour & salt & cook until mixture is frothy. Gradually stir in the half-and-half; cook, stirring contantly until sauce thickens. Remove from direct heat & set over hot water. Add the chicken & sitr. Cover the pan & let stand until mixture becomes hot, but do not boil.
Cream the butter in a mixing bowl & beat in the yolks, lemon juice & paprika. Stir this mixture into the hot chicken & continue stirring until the sauce thickens a little. Serve hot over toast or in patty shells.~~

o

Ginger,
Thank you for taking the time to post the recipe for me. I made it and I was very pleased.

Sapphires

o

Glad you liked it!

o

My mother took her recipe "with her", sigh!
Fond memories of mothers chicken a la king.
Of coure, we didn't have crock pots back then, but this one is sooooooo close to mother's.

I LOVED it on toast points!
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

CROCKPOT CHICKEN A LA KING

3 c. chopped cooked chicken (or turkey)
1/2 c. chopped green or red bell pepper
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
1 jar (2 oz.) red pimiento, drained
1 can (4 oz.) sliced mushrooms, drained
2 cans cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen peas

Combine chicken, pepper, onion, celery, pimiento, mushrooms and soup in crockpot. Cook on low 6 - 7 hours.

About an hour before serving turn heat on high and add peas.

Serve on hot rice, noodles or toast points.

****Sure she didn't use mushrooms, back then!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here