Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tangerine_z6

LOOKING for: Apple Crisp Recipe from Vegetarian Epicure Cookbook

tangerine_z6
16 years ago

I'm looking for the Apple Crisp recipe from the 1972 version of The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas. It is a simple recipe and similar to her updated version, but does not include oatmeal. It's absolutely delicious! Thanks.

Comments (8)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Scroll WAY down to the bottom of the site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Crisp 1972 version

• tangerine_z6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's it! Thank you. What a comprehensive teaching lesson that looks like.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

You're welcome!

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

C&Ped the recipe:

Apple Crisp Recipe
    This recipe was taken from The Vegetarian Epicure, with revisions by Megan Curtes (2005).Â

2 lbs tart green apples (or Macintosh), about 5 to 5 1/2 cups sliced
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt
    3/4 cup flour (1/2 c white flour, 1/4 c whole wheat flour)
    1/2 cup butter Â

Peel apples and slice thinly. Put them in shallow 1-quart casserole dish and sprinkle with water and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Put dish aside and prepare crust.Â
    Sift together dry ingredients and cut them into the butter until well combined. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the apples. (DonÂt mix together.)Â
    Cover dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour, then uncover and bake about another 1/2 hour. The crust will be crisp on top and seep down through the apples slightly binding them together.Â
    Serve hot or cold, alone or with vanilla ice cream, half & half, or milk!Â
    Â This is a deliciously warm Fall favorite, especially when paired with a visit to your local orchard, farm, or co-op!Â

Thomas, Anna. (1972). The Vegetarian Epicure. New York, NY. Vintage Books.Â
    Â Â

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Boy I sure loved that book! It was my first ever vegetarian cookbook, other than the Adventist one we had at home, which was a little peculiar for my taste due to all the fake meat products mentioned. Anna Thomas was a pioneer in showing how vegetarian food could be fun, wholesome and classy!

• betagirlearth
    15 years ago

This is a hoot! I am traveling and cooking dinner tonight for friends. I really wanted to make this Apple Crisp from the Vegetarian Epicure cookbook that I have at home. After fretting a bit, I decided to google it. A few attempts and low and behold: I found a link because some one else was looking for it!
    Well, thanks to all of you especially the one who asked and the one who posted. This is great!!! I am off the the grocery store! Great! Great! Great!

• Thalamian_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hooray! I have made this recipe for 30 years since college -- it's my standard dessert. Wanted to make dessert for friends in Tahoe and so happy to be able to double check the recipe!

• Jami Rankin
    2 years ago

This recipe is my wonderful stand by for apple crisp. The pages in the book are very brown and worn and used. It was such a lovely time of life when these books came out. This apple cripe remains my best dessert ever!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!