Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Apple Crisp Recipe from Vegetarian Epicure Cookbook

Posted by tangerine_z6 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 07 at 11:32

I'm looking for the Apple Crisp recipe from the 1972 version of The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas. It is a simple recipe and similar to her updated version, but does not include oatmeal. It's absolutely delicious! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Apple Crisp Recipe from Vegetarian Epicure Cook

Scroll WAY down to the bottom of the site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Crisp 1972 version

o

That's it! Thank you. What a comprehensive teaching lesson that looks like.

o

You're welcome!

o

C&Ped the recipe:

Apple Crisp Recipe
This recipe was taken from The Vegetarian Epicure, with revisions by Megan Curtes (2005).

2 lbs tart green apples (or Macintosh), about 5 to 5 1/2 cups sliced
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup flour (1/2 c white flour, 1/4 c whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup butter

Peel apples and slice thinly. Put them in shallow 1-quart casserole dish and sprinkle with water and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Put dish aside and prepare crust.
Sift together dry ingredients and cut them into the butter until well combined. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the apples. (Dont mix together.)
Cover dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour, then uncover and bake about another 1/2 hour. The crust will be crisp on top and seep down through the apples slightly binding them together.
Serve hot or cold, alone or with vanilla ice cream, half & half, or milk!
This is a deliciously warm Fall favorite, especially when paired with a visit to your local orchard, farm, or co-op!

Thomas, Anna. (1972). The Vegetarian Epicure. New York, NY. Vintage Books.

o

Boy I sure loved that book! It was my first ever vegetarian cookbook, other than the Adventist one we had at home, which was a little peculiar for my taste due to all the fake meat products mentioned. Anna Thomas was a pioneer in showing how vegetarian food could be fun, wholesome and classy!

o

This is a hoot! I am traveling and cooking dinner tonight for friends. I really wanted to make this Apple Crisp from the Vegetarian Epicure cookbook that I have at home. After fretting a bit, I decided to google it. A few attempts and low and behold: I found a link because some one else was looking for it!
Well, thanks to all of you especially the one who asked and the one who posted. This is great!!! I am off the the grocery store! Great! Great! Great!

o

Hooray! I have made this recipe for 30 years since college -- it's my standard dessert. Wanted to make dessert for friends in Tahoe and so happy to be able to double check the recipe!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here