Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bela67

RECIPE: apple pie tips and help!

bela67
15 years ago

apple pie is popular at thanksgiving and I want to attempt one again. ok last years pie i used the pre-maid dough and after following a recipe my pie was filled with water and doughy at the bottom. I figure i didn't cook it long enough. ok this year i don't want to make that mistake. Do you guys have tips? should i bake the bottom crust first? microwave the apples? I used grannies last year. also it didn't have as much flavor as i would of hoped. I don't have the recipe i used as i probably tore it up since it let me down. also the crust was done perfect on the top and the pie was in there FOREVER. the apples were done just very watery and not done on the bottom.. ok sorry for the long post. : ) thanks in advance

Comments (16)

• lindac
    15 years ago

There's not much in the world easier than apple pie.
    I make my own crust, roll it out and put it in the pie plate, core peel and slice about 5 apples for a 9 inch pie, then I either mix some sugar...I like only about 1/2 a cup because I like a tart pie ( tart like sour not tart like a small pie) and mix about 1 1/2 T. flour with the sugar and sprinkle on top of the apples and add a whiff of cinnamon....about 1/4 tsp....but add more if you like a lot of cinnamon in your pie, dot with butter, put on the top crust, press down firmly and seal the edges by folding the bottom crust over the top crust.
    Cut vent holes in the top crust and place on the bottom rack of a preheated 425 oven, bake for 10 minutes and turn the temperature down to 350 and bake until the top is golden and you can see the filling bubbeling....about an hour total.
    If you are using a dark metal pie plate or a dark pottery one. Do not put it on the bottom shelf of the oven as it will brown too quickly.
    Not much simpler.
    Linda c

• bela67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

But why would mine be all watery? Not enough flour?

• lindac
    15 years ago

What "recipe" did you use? How much sugar did you add?
    Some people actually add water to apple pie....that would account for all the water....or not baking long enough or not enough flour...or mixing the sugar with the apples too long before baking....lots of things.

Linda C

• annova914
    15 years ago

Did you cut vents in the top crust? That lets the steam out and should cut down on the "wateryness". I'm no expert pie baker (I use premade crusts myself :) Also, I've heard using a mix of Granny Smith and MacIntosh apples makes a flavorful pie (I only use GS but I love 'em).

When you do find the right recipe and make your crusts I have a tip from my aunt who made the best apple pies. After she placed the bottom crust in the pie pan, she spread softened butter around the rim and then sprinkled cinnamon sugar on it. She then sealed the top crust onto the rim and baked. No one ever left a crust on their plate as that edge of the crust was like a cookie. Good luck! Ann

• bela67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

it might of had water involved, i really don't remember i just remember being sad about it. i read how someone microwaved their apples first a little so they could put more in. i will attempt this again

oh and i do not like crust but a sugary cinnamon one i might like : )

• lisbet
    15 years ago

Not knowing what your recipe is.....here are some ideas you could try.

1. Before adding filling, paint bottom crust with some egg white and give it enough time to dry a bit.

2. Lightly spread some fine bread crumbs, (or cake/cookie crumbs) before adding the apple filling. They will absorb any extra liquid juice, blend right in and disappear. No on will ever know by taste nor appearance.

3. Before putting your filling into bottom shell; add the sugar (and spices) to apple slices and allow them to drain in a colander over a bowl to catch juices. Then pour those drained off juices into a small saucepan and cook with thickner (flour, cornstarch, or minute tapioca) on stove top......pour over apples before applying top crust.

4. Don't forget those vent holes for the top crust.

There are some recommendations that you par-cook the apples first, but I don't think this is a good idea...don't want an apple sauce pie. Cooking time in the oven is enough!

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Some apples are just juicier than others. Lisbet's #3 tip will help with that.

• bela67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys! i will use those tips for sure! I have the FIL coming for Tday and he loves himself some apple pie and i don't want to disappoint!

• lisbet
    15 years ago

"bela67" Please let us know how everything comes out !

We are all anxious to hear that you were successful and had good results.

• marge727
    15 years ago

I suggest you make a pie now so that when Thanksgiving comes you will be an experienced pie baker. It helps to get a good basic cookbook also. But Lindac's recipe is great. I never heard of microwaving apples first --yuk.

• lisbet
    15 years ago

"marge727" is right! If you have a new recipe or new proceedure, give it a trial run first....before you use it for that special, important occasion where you are looking for perfection.

• bela67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You don't have to tell me twice to bake pies : ) i might try one this coming weekend and who knows i might get buckwild and try my own crust : ) i do love a challenge!

• sue36
    15 years ago

This is what I do. Sometimes I make crust (the pie dough from Martha Stewart is good), but I often use the pre-made one in the red box. You can't pre-bake the bottom crust. I don't measure anything except the sugar, so here's my best guess. I use a LOT of apples, a mixture of Macs and something else, depends on what looks good in the market (GS, Empire, etc.). Use enough apples so they are really mounded in the pie plate (use a glass Pyrex type plate), to the point where anymore and they'd start falling out. Important, taste the apples. If they are very tart use 1 cup sugar, if sweeter use 3/4. I use about 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp cin, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1 TB flour. Toss all the dry ingredients in a large bowl with the peeled and sliced apples. I then taste it to make sure it tastes right (might add a little more cin, etc.). Dump onto the bottom crust and sort of move them around to eliminate gaps. Dot with butter (2-3 dots). Lay the top crust over and fold the top crust over the bottom crust and create a fluted edge or use a fork. Brush the top with milk. Some like a little sugar sprinked on top, but I don't always do that. Put a 4 slices in the top with a sharp knife. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 and then turn down to 325. I usually time it for 25 minutes and then start checking by putting a sharp knife through one of the slits to check for doneness. Apples cooks at different rates depending on time of year, water content, etc. A sharp paring knife should slide through without resistance, but there should still be firmness. Sorry, that's hard to describe. If they aren't done put it back in for another 5 minutes and then check again. Let cool completely before you cover it. It is better if you don't cover the pie at all. If I am making the pie the day before I cover it lightly with a dishtowel overnight, so Saran Wrap.

• dottieq
    15 years ago

8 c. thinly sliced peeled cooking apples (Mixture of Granny Smith, Rome and some MacCintosh)
    1 c. sugar
    2T flour
    1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 - 3/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    2 T. butter
    fresh lemon juice
    pastry for double crust

Combine sugar, flour cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle over apple slices and toss to coat slices throughly. Fill pastry lined pie plate with coated apples...dot with butter. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Top with crust. Seal and flute crust. Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut several slits in top crust to allow steam to escape. Cover outer edge of crust with foil. Bake 375 for 25 min. Remove foil Bake 20 - 25 min. more or until crust is golden and apples are cooked. Hope this helps!

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Here's mine....perfect results every time:

NATHAN'S NEVER FAIL PASTRY
    These quantities make enough pastry for 3 double-crust pies or 3 1/2 dozen tart shells - muffin size.
    5 cups flour
    1 teasp salt
    2 teasp baking powder
    1 lb (454 grams) Tenderflake lard
    2 teasp white vinegar
    1 egg - slightly beaten. Add water to vinegar and egg to make 1 cup

1) Mix together flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in lard until crumbly (using two knives.)

2) Add liquid and mix gently with hands. (I use a fork to help me here.) Roll into a ball.

3) Roll out amount needed on a floured board. Refrigerate or freeze remainder.

Source: 'I've GOT To Have That Recipe'
    Doubleday Canada - Victoria, B.C. 1986

My tip: After step two I often put it in the fridge for an hour to make it firmer and easier to roll out.

APPLE PIE

3/4 cup sugar (or a little less if you wish)
    1/2 teasp salt
    1 teasp cinnamon
    1/2 teasp nutmeg
    1 1/2 TBS flour
    2 TBS butter
    4 1/2 - 5 large apples *(I prefer Granny Smith)- peeled and sliced.
    Nathan's pastry - enough for double crust pie
    1 TBS milk and 1 teasp sugar for top of crust

* Check quantity of apples by slicing them first into empty pieplate before lining with pastry to see if you have enough.
    Then remove and wipe plate clean again.

1) Preheat oven to 425 F (218 C)

2) Peel and slice apples into a mixing bowl. In another small bowl combine the dry ingredients and pour them over apples.
    Toss well to coat all over.

3) Line pieplate with pastry and pile coated apple slices into pieplate. Dot apples with pieces of butter.

4) Roll out top crust and put on pie, flute edges, brush crust with the milk and sprinkle with sugar.

5) Bake 10 minutes at 425F (218C) then lower heat to 350F (177C) for 35 - 40 minutes or until crust is golden.
    SharonCb

• artemis_pa
    15 years ago

I've been baking pies for 40 years. Only once have I failed at Apple Pie. The problem was the apple. I was given a bag of GS apples that were small and hard. I had to cook the pie forever. Apples were a mess.
    I generally use either GS or Jonathans. Jonathan's are awesome. They cook quicker than GS and have a mellow, pure "apple" taste. Not much sugar needed. Try them.
    I like Sharon's recipe. I use a basic pie dough with flour, crisco, salt, powdered sugar, corn starch and ice water. This is an old family recipe from Greece. Very flaky.
    Practice and you will find your pie skills. A skill worthwhile. LOVE PIES~~~