Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyhorse2_gw

RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes

CrazyHorse2
9 years ago

Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my tomatores.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Blanch/Peel Tomatoes.
Pack in heated/sterile jars.
Add 1/2 tsp. salt for pints or 1 tsp. salt for quarts.
Place lids (sterilizes first)
Secure Bands.
Place jars on cookie sheet.
Process in oven 1 hour.
Turn oven off.
Let jars cool off in oven.

Note: I've never had a jar to burst, never had any food spoil. My sister in law didn't follow directions fully and placed her jars in the oven on the cookie sheet UPSIDE DOWN. Well, you guessed it, it was a mess for her to clean up. Just follow these simple directions and you can process an oven full of tomatoes rather than deal with the hot water bath method!

Comments (5)

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

And unless you can guarantee the PH of your tomatoes is correct, you run a real risk of botulism, which can be fatal. You've been lucky so far but recommending others take the risk is IMO irresponsible.
    Pressure canning is necessary to ensure you can tomatoes safely.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Please don't do this anymore. This is a very unsafe method of canning.

Water bath canning of tomatoes is safe if you add 2 Tablespoons bottled lemon juice per qt, 1 per pt.

But oven canning is NEVER safe.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

I would only do tomatoes in pressure cooker. A nice diner in Nashville Tn, 1961 served home canned food to a group & they all raved how great the food was. Several died & this time it was the canned green beans that killed them, so delicious taste doesn't mean a thing, Botulism will likely kill you. Several of these people were in the medical profession so they thought the food was wonderful as there is no "taste" to botulism, some survived but I didn't find out how they came out. All vegetables & meats need to be pressure cooked at the exact minutes recipe states, don't ever cut it back as it takes that long to kill botulism. Some lemons are not very acid. I had a Meyer Lemon tree & the lemons made awful lemon pie, no taste at all, no acid so ruined recipes, so wouldn't count on lemons being acid enough. Not worth your family's lives!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Tomatoes are perfectly safe in a water bath canner if 2 TBl of bottled lemon juice are added per qt. All canning recipes that call for lemon juice require canned lemon juice precisely because you don't know the acidity of individual lemons.

This is not just my opinion about the safety of lemon juice in water bath tomatoes, but is the advice of the National Center for Home Food Preservation, THE authority on canning.

NO other vegetables are safe for water bath canning unless they are being pickled. And pickling requires an approved recipe that has the correct amount of vinegar. There are many unsafe pickling recipes on the internet too.

Oven canning is NEVER safe.

• darlene87
    9 years ago

I was a Food Advisor for our university, giving classes on canning, freezing, and preserving. Canning in the oven is unsafe, as you cannot guarantee the internal temp. of the core of the food in the jar. You may have got away doing this so far, but it is unsafe. Water bath is the way to do it, and add lemon juice. Never buy an older canning book, as they update them every few years, and it is for safety reasons that is behind the updates. I must have had 5 canning books (outdated), that I tossed in the recycle, not willing to give them to the thrift store, and have someone else get ill or die.
    Darlene

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living