Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doreengazzo

LOOKING for: Beef Burgundy

doreengazzo
15 years ago

Hi all, I am specifically looking for the beef burgundy recipe that appeared in the Better Homes and Gardens series in the 60's/ 70's. It was a thin book entitled "Meals with a Foreign Flair". If any of you still have that sitting on your shelf and could forward the recipe, I would be so grateful!

Comments (7)

• tobygirl
    15 years ago

Doreen: I have the BH&G Meat Cook Book from that era. It's not the book you are looking for, but it does have a recipe for Beef Burgundy. Would you like me to post it?

• doreengazzo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Please do. I will recognize the recipe. I can't believe I recycled something that I actually used. I do some catering and I thought it was a classic recipe. Thank you.

• tobygirl
    15 years ago

Here it is. I hope it's the one you're looking for.

BEEF BURGUNDY

2 to 2-1/2 pounds beef round steak, 1/4 inch thick
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
    1 tablespoon finely snipped parsley
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon salt
    Dash freshly ground pepper
    1 6-ounce can whole mushrooms, drained
    1 cup Burgundy
    Hot cooked rice

Cut steak into bite-size pieces; coat with flour. In 12-inch skillet, quickly brown half the steak on both sides in melted butter; remove meat. Brown remaining meat. Remove from heat; return all meat to skillet. Add onion and next five ingredients. Stir in mushrooms, wine and 1/2 cup water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 1 hour or till tender. Add more water during cooking if necessary. Remove bay leaf. Serve over fluffy hot cooked rice. Makes 8 servings.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You can replace your book at Amazon from 85 cents up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meals with a Foreign Flair

• doreengazzo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks tobygirl. No, it wasn't it. The one I am looking for has fresh mushrooms, pearl onions and a small amount of tomato paste. I guess I will have to order the book. Thank you again for your trouble.

• dottieq
    15 years ago

This recipe does not have tomato paste but it is tried and true. I haven't made it in a long time....think I will make it this weekend. I like to use Pinot Noir...it's not as heavy but I guess you can't call it Bourgignonne then! I also use frozen pearl onions so I don't have to do all that peeling.

Beef Bourgignonne (8 - 10 srvngs)

16 small white onions (about 1 lb.)
    6 strips of lean diced bacon
    1/4 c butter
    4 lb. beef chuck cut in 1 1/2" cubes
    1/4 c brandy
    1 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper
    2 c burgundy
    2 cloves garlic
    2 c. small whole mushrooms or quartered if larger
    1 1/2 c water
    1 -2 sprigs parsley
    1 celery top (leaves)
    1 carrot quartered
    1 bay leaf
    1 sprig fresh thyme
    6 T flour
    1/2 c cold water

In Dutch oven Brown onions and bacon with butter. Remove to dish. Brown meat on all sides. Pour brandy over and flame. Add salt and pepper, burgundy, garlic, mushrooms, 1 1/2 c water, onions and bacon. Put remaining veggies and spices in cheesecloth - tie with long string. Add to pot, cover with lid. Cook 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat, onions and mushrooms. Strain liquid. Mix flour with 1/2 c cold water stir into strained liquid. Cook until thickened. Return meat to sauce. Serve over noodles. Hope this helps

• doreengazzo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, that's pretty much how I remember it. I too use the frozen pearl onions. Enjoy!

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company