Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beverlyal

LOOKING for: Pizza Dough

BeverlyAL
18 years ago

About 25 years ago I lost a pizza dough recipe that I really loved and had used a lot in previous years. Does anyone out there have one like it? Remember I am not a bread maker and don't want to be. Punching down dough and letting it rise and punching down, kneading is not for me and never will be. The recipe I'm talking about did use a package of yeast. You mix the recipe and it's possible I had to let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes, I can't remember. Then you dump it in a pizza pan and spread it out with your hands, just like those old Chef-Boy-Ardee ones we did when we were kids. Except this was nothing like those and really turned out a good pizza crust. I hope someone can help me with this.

Comments (9)

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Beverlyl here is one called Quick Pizza dough. Sounds like it might be what you are looking for. I use my Italian bread dough to make Pizza. But recently Claire posted her recipe for making pizza. Her dough is really good and easy to work with. Here is the link.

Ann

• cindy_5ny
    18 years ago

Beverly,
    I've had this recipe for 25 years - I got it from the mother of DH's best friend in high school! I guess she was considered the best pizza maker in the area and all the high school kids would go to her house for pizza. She said the recipe was from the back of a bag of flour.

I still use this recipe - depending how I feel and how much time I have, sometimes I let it rise, sometimes make it right away.....also, I use my pizza stone and don't do the "cover with same size pan" thing.

Quick, Easy & Good Pizza Dough

1 pkg active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp oil
    2 1/2 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water, stir in remaining ingredients, beat vigorously. Allow dough to rest (covered) 5 minutes. On lightly greased 12x15 pan, pat dough out with floured fingers to edge of pan. If you like a thick crust, cover with another pan of the same size turned upside down & let rise for an hour or two. If regular crust is desired, immediately spread sauce, cheese & toppings. Bake 425 15 minutes covered with same size of pan, then remove top pan and bake about 10 minutes more to brown the cheese.

Cindy

• BeverlyAL
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to both Ann and Cindy. Cindy's is the closest and may actually be the one I am looking for. I know the one I had didn't have any honey or garlic powder in it although the garlic sounds like a good addition.

• lindac
    18 years ago

My easiest way to make pizza dough it to put a cup of lukew arm water into a bowl, add about 1/2 tsp sugar....or more...not critical....and an envelope of yeast or 2 1 /2 tsps of yeast if you buy it in bulk. Let it sit until bubbley....mix a tsp of saltw ith some flour....1/2 a cup or 1 cup....doesn't much matter....beat into the yeast mixture, add a couple T. olive oil....or not....not critical, and then add more flour a bit at a time stirring with a wooden spoon until the dough is of a dough consistency.....so you can spread it out....or if you prefer a bit thinner, add more flour so it can be rolled.
    Measurements are not critical....just flour, water, yeast and a bit of salt....maybe sugar to make the yeast work faster....or not if you forget....
    If you really want wonderful pizza dough, mix it up at least 24 hours before and stick it in the refrigerator.....then roll it out or spread with your fingers.....which ever you prefer.
    Linda C

• cindy_5ny
    18 years ago

Linda,
    You are right about putting it in the fridge! The last time I made pizza, something came up after I made the dough, but before I could make the pizza. I stuck the dough in the fridge and it was the best pizza crust I ever made!

Cindy

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Beverly, I tried Claire's recipe last time I made pizza. It was amazingly easy and very good! I increased the flour by 1/2 cup and the yeast by 1/2 teaspoon.

• BeverlyAL
    Original Author
    18 years ago

How long do you think the refrigerated pizza dough would keep in the fridge and still be good?

• HanArt
    18 years ago

I've kept it a couple days with no problem. You can freeze it too. Just make sure you bring it to room temp before using.

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

Hey THANKS for trying my dough HanArt! (And Ann for her famous sauce and recommendation. The crust really isn't mine but adapted from Cook's Illustrated, which is why it's good.)

Beverly, I hope Cindy's recipe is the one you remember; I know what it's like when you have an old favorite that's been lost. If you have a chance to try my crust, it's easy to spread out with your hands (as you describe) once you let it rest about 10 minutes.

I'm making it next time with some whole wheat flour, and will try putting it in the fridge myself. I'd love to be able to make it ahead of time and that sounds like a great way to do it.