Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arabellamiller

LOOKING for: Kids Protein Bars/snack bars

arabellamiller
16 years ago

We spend a small fortune on these. I'd like a basic, nutritious recipe that I can add things to since one kid likes mini m&ms and another likes peanut butter, etc.

Thanks.

AM

The Dinner Chronicles

Comments (3)

• User
    16 years ago

Here's three recipes from Alton Brown for snack bars.

Brown Rice Crispy Bars

Granola Bars

Protein Bars

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Momj47. I tried a variation on the protein ones and eventhough I like them, the kids said "no way". Maybe I'll have better luck with the rice crispy ones.

• elphaba_gw
    16 years ago

Here's a recipe that I've saved but haven't made yet. It has peanut butter and chocolate in it so maybe this would appeal more to your kids (lots of fat grams though).

Also, if you go to the link, there is a lot more discussion about the bars with a lot more recipes. They also talk about how to keep them from being gooey etc.

I like the one I've posted because it doesn't require cooking but not sure about the fat grams. Let us know if you try it and how it comes out. I probably won't get around to this "project" until I finish a few other "projects", LOL.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=346329

FUDGEY-NUTTY BARS

2 and 1/3 cups vanilla protein powder
    1 oz square unsweetened chocolate
    1/2 cup butter
    4 oz cream cheese
    1 oz chopped almonds
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp peanut butter
    1/4 cup Splenda

Melt butter, cream cheese, peanut butter and chocolate in bowl in microwave. Mix together very well and then add splenda & vanilla, mixing well again.

Add walnuts and protein powder and mix. It will be difficult and messy to mix,
    you will have to use your hands near the end to knead it all together, squeezing so that the powder is incorporated into the mixture.

Now place in an 8x8 0r 9x9 baking pan,
    flatten and refrigerate. When cooled
    and hardened, cut into 8 bars. Per bar: 21 grams protein, 3.15 carbs. This will vary according to the protein powder you use, I use Optimum Nutrtion as I have found it to be the best and it has 22g protein and 1.5g carbs in each scoop, but no aspartame.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bodybulding.com link