RE: LOOKING for: Ham Loaf

Easy as can be:
HAM LOAF (serves 8)
2 lb fresh ground pork
1 lb ground ham
1 cup crushed, rolled saltines
2 eggs, well beaten
1 cup milk

Mix all ingredients together except milk. Then add milk & mix thoroughly. Mold into loaf pan. Bake in a preheated 350 for 1 1/2 hours.~~Standing Ovations

o

Mine is similar to the recipe above with the exception I use 2lbs of ground ham to 1 lb of fresh ground pork. I also grate 1/2 of a green pepper into mine, 1/2 of a medium onion-finely diced, 1 heaping Tbs of spicy mustard, a little salt, pepper & 1 Tbs parsley, an egg and I use 1 cup of cracker meal instead. Often, I also make a Hollendaise sauce to serve with it.

o

Mine is
1 1/2 pounds ground ham
1 1/2 pounds ground 85% lean beef
3 eggs
2 T dijon mustard
1/4 cup grated onion
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2/3 cup beef or chicken broth
2/3 to 1 cup dry Un seasoned bread crumbs ( use unseasoned dry bread cubes and smash them with a rolling pin) or as much as needed to form into a loaf.
Bake 350 for 1 and 1/2 hours or intil internal temperature measures 165 on an instant read.
Linda C

o

Ummm... what is Ham Loaf? A pork-style meatloaf, or lunch meat to slice?

o

Ham loaf is like "ham balls" only larger....Jessie would know nothing about such trayef items so I don't expect she will comment!!
It's like a ham meat loaf....and often basted with a brown sugar mustard and vinegar glaze....which of course I forgot to mention!
Mine is beef with ham...but lots are ham with pork...yummy no matter how you do it!
Linda C

o

In all my years of cooking I haven't ever heard of it. Thanks for the info, Linda.

o

Meat counters around here often sell "ham loaf mix"....which I wouldn't buy in a million years!
I suspect it's popular in areas where there is a population of Scandanavian immigrants. My Swedish MIL used to make it....and it's often found at pot lucks here. I love a good ham loaf....and even a bad one tastes pretty good....it's hard to mess up.
Lidna C

o

It is a standard recipe in the Amish regions too. I love it when we visit Lancaster PA for our quilt trip each spring. Theirs is ground pork and ground ham variety I think.

o

I LOVE ham loaf, and have asked our local supermarket if they would grind ham for me.....they said it is against the law to do so. Does anyone know where I can find a ham loaf in California?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here