16 years ago

Easy as can be:
    HAM LOAF (serves 8)
    2 lb fresh ground pork
    1 lb ground ham
    1 cup crushed, rolled saltines
    2 eggs, well beaten
    1 cup milk

Mix all ingredients together except milk. Then add milk & mix thoroughly. Mold into loaf pan. Bake in a preheated 350° for 1 1/2 hours.~~Standing Ovations

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

Mine is similar to the recipe above with the exception I use 2lbs of ground ham to 1 lb of fresh ground pork. I also grate 1/2 of a green pepper into mine, 1/2 of a medium onion-finely diced, 1 heaping Tbs of spicy mustard, a little salt, pepper & 1 Tbs parsley, an egg and I use 1 cup of cracker meal instead. Often, I also make a Hollendaise sauce to serve with it.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Mine is
    1 1/2 pounds ground ham
    1 1/2 pounds ground 85% lean beef
    3 eggs
    2 T dijon mustard
    1/4 cup grated onion
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    2/3 cup beef or chicken broth
    2/3 to 1 cup dry Un seasoned bread crumbs ( use unseasoned dry bread cubes and smash them with a rolling pin) or as much as needed to form into a loaf.
    Bake 350 for 1 and 1/2 hours or intil internal temperature measures 165 on an instant read.
    Linda C

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Ummm... what is Ham Loaf? A pork-style meatloaf, or lunch meat to slice?

• lindac
    16 years ago

Ham loaf is like "ham balls" only larger....Jessie would know nothing about such trayef items so I don't expect she will comment!!
    It's like a ham meat loaf....and often basted with a brown sugar mustard and vinegar glaze....which of course I forgot to mention!
    Mine is beef with ham...but lots are ham with pork...yummy no matter how you do it!
    Linda C

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

In all my years of cooking I haven't ever heard of it. Thanks for the info, Linda.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Meat counters around here often sell "ham loaf mix"....which I wouldn't buy in a million years!
    I suspect it's popular in areas where there is a population of Scandanavian immigrants. My Swedish MIL used to make it....and it's often found at pot lucks here. I love a good ham loaf....and even a bad one tastes pretty good....it's hard to mess up.
    Lidna C

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

It is a standard recipe in the Amish regions too. I love it when we visit Lancaster PA for our quilt trip each spring. Theirs is ground pork and ground ham variety I think.

• elaineahall_msn_com
    12 years ago

I LOVE ham loaf, and have asked our local supermarket if they would grind ham for me.....they said it is against the law to do so. Does anyone know where I can find a ham loaf in California?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!