Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
san__gw

LOOKING for: 'spritz' cookies and soft gingersnaps

san_
17 years ago

what i know about baking wouldn't fill a 1/4 teaspoon but i'm feeling nostalgic, so do help please!

thanksgiving is approaching and reminds me that Mom would soon begin her holiday cookies. (she was an incredible baker and i am anything BUT one!) i was thinking about her spritz cookies and on a total impulse, i find myself the owner of a cookie press. she'd be proud i'm sure, but i haven't a clue what to put in there. do any of you have a recipe for them? they are basically a butter shortbread cookie. and as i was looking through recipes, i wondered if other types of refrigerated dough recipes could be put into a press. what do you think?

secondly, about the only way i really care for much ginger is in gingersnaps or ginger molasses cookies. and one of my former co-workers made sort of a soft/chewy gingersnap that was better than anything i could imagine! unfortunately, she left before i could ask for the recipe. if you can help with either of the recipes or my general question about using other refrigerated doughs in the cookie press, i sure would appreciate it!

Comments (11)

• lindac
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's my recipe for spritz...but be aware, they can be tricky. if they don't want to stick to the cookie sheet, try chilling your baking sheet. Also standard peanut butter cookies work well...not the ones made with chunky peanut butter!

1 1/2 cups butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 large egg
    2 teaspoons vanilla or almond extract
    4 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    Preheat oven to 375F. Stir together baking powder and flour. Cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy, add the egg and the extract. Mix in the flour/baking powder. I have found the easiest way to get the dough into the press is to scoop up a large clump of dough and roll it into a sausage shape with my hands. Now just slip the dough into the press. Screw down the handle until it's ready to come out of the piping tip.
    Pipe onto ungreased sheets. They expand a little but not a huge amount. I place half a candied cherry or half an almond in the middle of the swirl for decoration. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden and slightly browned around the edges.

• Marigene
    17 years ago

Here are a couple of recipes I have used for over 40 years. The spritz recipe is in the booklet that came with the cookie press, which is still in the original, falling apart box! The only time I use it is at Christmas.

Spritz Cookies
    (Source: Mirros Cooky and Pastry Recipes)

1 cup butter or shortening
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon almond extract
    2 1/4 cups flour

Cream shortening, adding sugar gradually.
    Add egg, unbeaten, beat well
    Add sifted dry ingredients and extract.
    Fill a MIRRO cooky press. Form cookies on ungreased cookie sheets
    Bake 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes

Soft Molasses Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 1/4 cup molasses
    4 1/4 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons ginger, ground
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon cloves, ground
    1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground

Cream shortening and sugar thoroughly. Add egg and then molasses and ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Slowly add the remaining dry ingredients.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets 2 inches apart.

Bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

san,
    This is the easiest spritz recipe I have ever made and it is the only recipe I use now.
    Flossie's Spritz Cookies
    2 1/4 c flour
    3/4 c sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    Mix all well
    Cream:
    1 c butter
    1 egg
    1 tsp extract
    Combine all and put thru cookie press on ungreased baking sheet
    DO NOT refrigerate-if too soft add 1-2T flour
    Bake 8-10 minutes
    RL`

• san_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanx ever so much for the spritz recipes! the 3 of you just CAN'T be wrong!

and thanx for warning me about chunky PB in the cookie press, linda! you might have meant it as a joke but i have done dumber things than that...and i am particularly looking forward to trying out your recipe soft ginger cookies, marigene. knowing me, it's not likely to happen any time soon but thank you! anyone else have a variation on soft gingersnaps they'd like to share?

as for my other question, do you think something like ginger's slice & bake lemon crisps or marigene's chocolate mint wafers would lend themselves to the cookie press? i just don't get any pleasure from rolling out dough or cutting out forms, etc. thanx again!

• brenda55
    17 years ago

San, my recipe came with my Wilton cookie press I bought several years ago and is very similar to the ones offered here, but I'll go ahead and post it. Also, the Chocolate Spritz Cookie recipe is very good and although not a cookie recipe, we like to make the Cheese Crackers while working with the cookie press. Each of these recipes came with the cookie press.

Classic Spritz Cookies

1 1/2 c. butter
    1 c. granulated sugar
    1 egg
    2 T. milk
    1 t. vanilla
    1/2 t. almond extract
    3 1/2 c. all purpose flour
    1 t. baking powder

Preheat oven to 375. Thoroughly cream butter and sugar. Add egg, milk, vanilla and almond extract, beat well. Stir together flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture, mixing to make a smooth dough. Do not chill. Place dough into cookie press and press cookies onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Remove cookies and cool on rack.

My notes: Add sprinkles or sugar crystals before baking these cookies.

Chocolate Spritz Cookies

1 1/4 c. butter
    1 c. sugar
    2/3 c. brown sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 t. vanilla
    2 1/2 c. flour
    2/3 c. cocoa
    1/2 t. baking soda
    1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 375. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars at medium high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Sift togethter flour, cocoa, soda and salt. Add flour mixture gradually and beat well. Shape dough into small log (way to go, Linda!)and place in cookie press. Press cookies onto cool ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Remove to rack. Store in airtight container at cool room temperature for several weeks or freeze for two months.

Note: I have never frozen these, they never lasted that long! I also never tried the rolling in logs before putting in press and actually never noticed that, but with Linda suggesting it....there you go!

Cheese Crackers

1 lb. natural sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
    1/2 c. butter, softened
    2 t. Worcestershire sauce
    Dash of hot red pepper sauce
    1 1/2 c. flour
    1/2 t. salt
    1 t. paprika

Preheat oven to 375. In a medium bowl, cream the cheese, butter, Worcestershire sauce and hot red pepper sauce until smooth. In separate bowl, toss flour and seasonings with fork. Gradually add to cheese mixture. Mix until dough holds together and shape into small logs. Place in Cookie press and press onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until ightly browned. Remove and cool on rack. Makes 4 dozen. Note: Do not use pre-shredded packaged cheese.

I am sorry I can't offer any suggestions about ginger's slice and bake lemon crisps or marigene's chocoate mint wafers, as I have never made them, but sound like good ones to try.

Along those lines, though, I am wondering if the recipe Annie posted on CF "Savory Cheddar and Jalapeno Jelly Cookies" would work in the cookie press, just foregoing the freeze until chilled part.

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

Couple of ways to vary those basic Spritz cookies:

1. sub 1 tsp brandy extract for vanilla--press out cookies using 6-sided disc-- make an indentation with thumb-when baked & cooled fill indentation with apricot jam -- sprinkle with conf sugar

2.Omit vanilla-- beat in 1 tbsp grated orange rind & 1/2 tsp anise extract.

3.Beat into dough 1 tsp grd cinnamon , 1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg , pinch of ginger-- pipe into S shapes-- sprinkle with cinnamon sugar-bake.

4.sub 1/4 c. cocoa for 1/4 c. of the flour; beat in 1 Tbsp instant expresso coffee powder-- use a ribbon disc to pipe out in rectangles or squares-- Once baked & cooled dip one end in melted choc & crushed pistachios.

I've also got a bunch of alterations to your basic "gingerman/gingerbread" dough -- if anyone wants them.

• iris_gal
    17 years ago

Thank you Crafty! Never knew what to use that 6-sided disc for............jam!

• pat_t
    17 years ago

Some that we really liked:

EGGNOG SPRITZ COOKIES

Cookies:
    1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
    2/3 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 Tblsp. vanilla
    2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. ground nutmeg

Glaze:
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1/4 cup butter, melted (no substitutes)
    1/4 tsp. rum extract
    1 to 2 Tblsp. hot water
    Multi-colored decorator candies

Heat oven to 375° F. In large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.

Reduce speed to low; add flour and nutmeg. Beat, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (two to three minutes). Place dough into cookie press; form desired shapes 1-inch apart on cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned.

In small bowl, stir together sugar, butter and rum extract. Stir in hot water for desired glazing constancy. While still warm, brush top of each cookie with glaze. Sprinkle with candies. Yield: 4 dozen cookies.

Recipe from Land O Lakes.

KEY LIME MELTAWAY SPRITZ COOKIES
    Cookies:
    1 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup confectioners sugar
    1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    1 Tblsp. grated lime peel
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    Glaze:
    1/2 cup confectioners sugar
    4 tsp. Key lime juice
    1/2 tsp. grated lime peel

Preheat oven to 350° F. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioners sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour and cornstarch. Stir in lime peel and vanilla.
    Using a cookie press fitted with a ribbon disk, press dough into 12" long strips, 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets (I used parchment paper). Cut each strip into 3" pieces (do not separate pieces). Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
    Combine glaze ingredients; brush over cooked cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: about 3 dozen.

Source: Beverly Coyde in Taste of Home Dec./Jan. 2005 issue.

PECAN SPRITZ COOKIES

1-1/2 cups butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla
    3 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 cup pecan meal (see note)
    Red and green decorating sugar or other holiday sprinkles (optional)

Heat oven to 375° F. Blend butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Blend in dry ingredients. Put unchilled dough through a cookie press onto cookie sheet. Sprinkle tops with colored sugar or sprinkles. Bake 8 minutes, until firm but not brown.

Note: To make 1 cup pecan meal, process 1-1/4 cups pecans in the bowl of a blender. A small food processor will do the trick as well.

Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

I love the eggnog snickerdoodles that I make so am sure the eggnog spritz would be a hit here too. Thanks.

• san_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanx a million for all the tips and recipes--i really am anxious to take the plunge and actually do something!

• iris_gal
    17 years ago

This is my very best Spritz cookie. It was submitted
    to a fundraiser cookbook by a lady named Fritzi
    Condi if memory serves. More delicate than regular
    Spritz.
    If I'm making meringues, I separate the yolks, leaving them
    in their 1/2 shell ~~ then lower that into boiling water.
    Otherwise the cooked whites go into tuna salad.

Swedish Butter Cookies

1/2 C. butter
    2 hard cooked egg yolks, sieved
    1/4 C. sugar
    1/2 tsp. almond extract or lemon
    1 C. flour

Cream butter; beat in remaining ingredients in order.
    Put thru cookie gun. Ungreased sheet. Garnish
    with candied cherries and nuts. 375 degrees.
    10 min.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures