Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyduckworth

LOOKING for: Lemon confectionery

Daisyduckworth
18 years ago

I've been given a pile of HUGE, juicy lemons (seriously, they are larger than grapefruit!). I have plenty of lemon recipes for main meals, sauces, pies, cakes, desserts etc, but I'm looking for something totally naughty, that I can nibble on when I need a sugar fix while watching TV.

Has anyone got any recipes for lemon-flavoured confectionery? A fudge would be nice, I reckon. I prefer soft or chewy confectionery.

There's only one of me to feed, so it will need to be stored for a while.

Comments (11)

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'd make lemon curd and park a spoon next to it in the refrigerator. You could buy or make some buttery shortbread to "dip" into the curd.

• annie1992
    18 years ago

I don't have a lemon fudge recipe, but I love lemon bars, those chewy, gooey squares with a shortbread crust and lemon filling middle, topped with powdered sugar. Marilyn's Lemon Brownies are really good too, I need to make a batch of those soon.

Or a nice lemon sherbet or sorbet?

Lemon Brownies (Marilyn)
    1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (2 sticks) butter; room temperature
    4 eggs
    Juice from 1/2 lemon
    Zest from 1 lemon
    1 cup powdered sugar
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    Additional lemon zest for garnish

Preheat oven to 350. Line the bottom only of a 9X13X2-inch baking dish with Parchment paper and spray with Pam. In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar and salt; add butter. Stir together eggs, juice from 1/2 lemon and zest from 1 lemon; stir into batter and pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and cool on a rack. When brownies are cool prepare glaze by stirring together powdered sugar and 2 tablespoon lemon juice; drizzle over brownies and sprinkle with additional lemon zest.

POPPERS LEMON BARS

1 c. Butter..use the real thing if you can, using something else will change the flavor.
    2 c. Flour
    1/2 C. Powdered sugar

Mix these ingredients till they resemble small clumps. Pat FIRMLY into the 9x13 pan. Bake 15 minutes at 325 degrees.

While baking mix together:

4 eggs,
    2 c. sugar
    1/3c. lemon juice,
    1/4 c. flour.

Mix well. You can also put this into a blender if you want. Pour into baked crust. Bake for another 25 minutes at 325 degrees. Cool and sift powdered sugar on top, cut, eat and enjoy.

And, of course, there's always lemon marmalade, with my thanks to Readinglady, who gave me this. I haven't made it, but it sure sounds good.

Lemon-Ginger Marmalade
    =======================
    3 Large Lemons
    3-3/4 Cups Cold water
    1 Piece ginger - 4x1-inch,
    peeled, cut into thick -slices
    4 Cups Sugar
    Cut off lemon ends. Cut lemons lengthwise into quarters, then cut crosswise into thin slices, removing and reserving seeds. Place lemon seeds in small bowl. Place lemon slices in medium bowl. Add 1/2 cup cold water to bowl with seeds and 3 cups cold water to bowl with lemon slices. Cover bowls with plastic wrap and let stand 24 hours at room temperature.

Transfer lemon slices with their soaking water to heavy large saucepan. Strain water from bowl with seeds into same saucepan. Wrap seeds in cheesecloth; tie with string and add to saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Cover partially and adjust heat so mixture barely
    simmers. Cook 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Puree sliced ginger with remaining 1/4 cup water in processor, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl. Strain mixture through sieve, pressing down on solids with spoon. Reserve 1/4 cup ginger juice.
    Remove cheesecloth bag from saucepan and squeeze it between spoons so liquid drains back into pan. Add 4 cups sugar to lemon mixture and stir until dissolved. Add reserved 1/4 cup ginger juice. Simmer mixture uncovered
    until it reaches gelling stage, about 1 hour. (To test for doneness, remove pan from heat. Fill chilled spoon with preserves, then slowly pour preserves back into pan; last 2 drops should merge and sheet off spoon. One tablespoon of preserves spooned onto chilled plate and frozen 2 minutes should wrinkle when gently pushed with fingertip.)
    Rinse clean jars, lids and screw bands in hot water. Spoon preserves into hot jar to 1/4 inch from top. Immediately wipe rim, using towel dipped into hot water. Place lid on jar, seal tightly with screw band. Repeat with remaining preserves and jars. Arrange jars on rack set into large pot.
    Cover with boiling water by at least 1 inch. Cover pot and boil 15 minutes.* Remove jars from water bath. Cool to room temperature. Press center of each lid. If lid stays down, jar is sealed. Store in cool dry place up to 1
    year. Refrigerate after opening. (If lid pops up, store preserves in refrigerator.)

Annie

• Daisyduckworth
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, OF COURSE I've made some lemon curd, but I wanted something more nibbly. I'll give those brownies a try for sure. But I didn't want a cakey thing or a desserty thing. I want confectionery - lollies, candy. Naughty stuff for a bad case of the munchies!

• craftyrn
    18 years ago

How about some fruit Gels? Heres a recipe for Raspberry gels-maybe you could sub in the lemon:
    http://www.recipesource.com/desserts/candy/01/rec0111.html

or candied rind with the lemon peel instead of orange peel;.
    : CANDIED ORANGE PEEL
    1 Quart (1/4-inch wide) orange Strips (about 15 oranges)
    1/2 ts Salt
    2 c Sugar
    1 c Water
    Place orange peel in water to cover in a Dutch oven; add salt. Bring to a boil, and boil 20 minutes. Drain. Repeat boiling procedure twice without salt, and set orange peel aside
    .Combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, until syrup spins a thread, about 7 minutes (234 degrees). Add orange peel; simmer 30 minutes, stirring often. Drain orange peel well. Discard syrup.. Roll peel, a few pieces at a time, in sugar. Arrange in a single layer on wire racks; let dry 4 to 5 hours. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1 pound.

• Daisyduckworth
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's more like it, Crafty! I'd forgotten about the crystallised citrus peel - naturally, it will just have to be coated in chocolate. I actually prefer the lemon peel to the orange peel when done this way. I might give those gels a go, too. Thanks.

• san_
    18 years ago

hmm. a search of epicurious and the food recipe source didn't yield alot, but maybe something strikes your fancy. and congrats on the lemon haul!

LEMON WALNUT FUDGE

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
    -JUDI M. PHELPS
    3 c Sugar
    1/4 c Cocoa
    dash -- salt
    3 Tb Light corn syrup
    12 oz Evaporated milk (not skim)
    4 Tb Butter
    1 Tb Lemon zest -- grated
    3 Tb Lemon juice
    1 tsp Vanilla
    1/2 c Walnuts -- chopped

Combine the sugar, cocoa and salt in a large, heavy
    bottom saucepan. Stir to mix and break up any lumps of
    cocoa powder. Add the corn syrup, milk and 2
    tablespoons of the butter.

Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly,
    until the mixture comes to a boil. Stop stirring;
    cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid for about a
    minute to steam off any sugar crystals on the sides of
    the pan. Watch closely so the fudge does not boil
    over.

Uncover and continue to cook (without stirring),
    swabbing down the sides of the pan from time to time
    with a pastry brush dipped in water, until the
    temperature reaches the soft-ball stage.

Use a candy thermometer, or the old-fashioned method
    of dropping a bit of the hot candy into a cup of cold
    water every so often. When it forms a cohesive puddle
    on the bottom of the cup and can be formed into a ball
    that flattens when lifted out of the water, that's
    "soft-ball" stage.) Immediately swab down the sides of
    the pan. Pour (do not scrape) the fudge onto a slab
    of marble or a large platter or into a flat baking
    dish.

Heat the lemon zest, juice, and vanilla to boiling and
    pour over the hot candy. Top with the remaining 2
    tablespoons butter. Let the mixture cool to room
    temperature without disturbing it. Stir the fudge
    with a spatula or plastic scraper until it becomes
    thick and starts to lose its gloss. This is the
    exercise part...feel the burn....it takes a while!
    Add the chopped nuts just as the fudge becomes too
    stiff to stir.

Spread the fudge onto a buttered plate or sheet of
    plastic wrap. After a few minutes, it will solidify
    and you can wrap and store it for several days--even
    weeks if you keep it a secret! Yields 2-1/8 lbs.

Per 3-oz serving: 340 calories, 4 g protein, 62 g
    carbohydrate, 10 g fat, 21 mg cholesterol, 74 mg
    sodium, 1 g fiber. Source: San Francisco Chronicle,
    3/27/96.

Title: Lemon Drops
    Categories: Candies
    Yield: 60 servings

-Nancy Speicher DPXX20A
    2 c Sugar
    1 c Light corn syrup
    1/2 c Water
    1/2 tsp Oil of lemon*
    2 drops Yellow food coloring

1. Coat well 10 toy muffin-cup pans (6 cups to a pan) or 60 tiny
      fancy metal molds with vegetable oil. OR: You may drop the mixture by
      teaspoonfuls onto oiled cooky sheets to make patties.
    2. Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a medium-size heavy
      saucepan. Heat quickly to boiling, stirring constantly. Wrap a fork
      with damp paper toweling; wipe sugar crystals from side of pan as
      mixture cooks.
    3. Reduce heat to medium and cook, without stirring, to 300F on a
      candy thermometer. (A teaspoonful of syrup will separate into threads
      that are hard and brittle when dropped in cold water.)
    4. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in oil of lemon and yellow food
      coloring until mixture stops bubbling.
    5. Pour syrup by spoonfuls into oiled molds. (If syrup becomes too
      hard, return saucepan to very low heat, just until mixture thins, but
      not long enough for syrup to darken.) Cool candies in molds at least
      one hour.
    6. To remove candies: Insert the pointed tip of a small paring knife
      around edge of molds and press to loosen. Store in layers, separated
      by aluminum foil, in a tight-fitting container.
      Orange Drops - Follow above directions for Lemon Drops, increasing
      the yellow food coloring to 1/4 tsp and adding 2 drops red food
      coloring and substituting 1/2 tsp oil of orange* for the 1/2 tsp oil
      of lemon.
      *Oil of lemon and oil of orange are products that can be purchased
      in any drug store. You can also substitute 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract or
      orange extract for the oils, if you wish.

Lemon Basil Syrup
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 (4- by 1-inch) strip fresh lemon zest
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    8 large fresh basil sprigs
    Make syrup:
    Bring all syrup ingredients to a boil, covered, in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, then remove lid and boil 10 minutes. Pour syrup through a sieve into a bowl, pressing on and then discarding solids. Cool to room temperature.
    The reviews on this were very mixed but wanted to show it to you and let you decide if you wanted to try it out

Sephardic Fruit Paste Candies
    Sephardim enjoy these confections on special occasions, especially Rosh Hashannah and Passover. Almost any fruit can be used in this process, but hard fruits require cooking and dried ones soaking. Although fruit is naturally sweet, the sugar in this recipe contributes additional sweetness and also intensifies the flavors, contributes body (so that the paste can be cut into shapes), and acts as a preservative.

About 4 cups fruit pulp (see Variations below)
    About 4 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    Confectioners' or granulated sugar for coating (optional)

1. Measure the fruit pulp and place in a heavy medium nonreactive saucepan (do not use iron, copper, or brass). Add 1 cup sugar for each cup of pulp. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens and sputters, 30 to 50 minutes. Add the lemon juice and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
      2. Spread the fruit paste over a greased 13-by-9-inch baking pan or on a baking sheet to a 1-inch thickness. Let cool, then cut into squares or diamonds. Or form the warm fruit paste into 1-inch balls and, if desired, press a walnut half or blanched almond into each ball. Cover with waxed paper and let stand at room temperature overnight. If desired, dredge the candies in confectioners' or granulated sugar to coat. This helps to keep the candies from sticking together. Store between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container at room temperature.
      VARIATIONS
      Fruit and Almond Candies: Scatter 1 cup ground blanched almonds in a 13-by-9-inch baking pan or on a baking sheet, spread the fruit paste on top, and sprinkle another 1 cup ground almonds over the fruit paste.
      Dulce de Mansana (Sephardic Apple Candies): Cook 3 pounds (10 to 12 medium) coarsely chopped tart apples in 1 1/2 cups apple cider or water over medium heat until tender, 20 to 40 minutes. Drain and let cool. Press through a food mill or strainer. Or use 4 cups unsweetened applesauce.
      Dulce de Cayeci (Sephardic Apricot Candies): Soak 1 pound (about 3 1/4 cups) dried apricots in water to cover for at least 2 hours or overnight. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the soaking liquid. In a food processor or food mill, purée the apricots. Add the reserved soaking liquid.
      Dulce de Moras (Sephardic Berry Candies): Purée and strain 2 pounds (about 7 cups) stemmed blackberries, mulberries, or raspberries. Add 1 cup water.
      Amsath (Indian Mango Candies): This Indian adaptation of the Middle Eastern confection is called kamrooden in Calcutta. Use 4 cups strained mango pulp (about 4 pounds or 8 medium mangoes).
      Dulce de Shiftili (Sephardic Peach Candies): Halve and pit 2 pounds fresh peaches or apricots. Poach in boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain, peel, and purée. If desired, stir 1 teaspoon almond extract into the thickened paste.
      Dulce de Peras (Sephardic Pear Candies): Cook 3 pounds peeled, cored, and chopped pears in 1 1/2 cups water over medium heat until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and let cool. In a food processor or food mill, purée the pulp.
      Dulce do Bimbriyo (Sephardic Quince Candies): Among Greek, Syrian, and Iraqi communities, quince preserves (kylthoni glyko) and candied quinces are served on Rosh Hashannah and Passover. Peel and slice 3 pounds (about 8 medium) hard and slightly unripe quinces. Cook in 1 1/2 cups water over medium heat until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and let cool. Mash the pulp and press through a strainer.
      Dulce de Bimbriyo y Mansana (Sephardic Quince and Apple Candies): Cook 2 pounds peeled and chopped quinces and 1 pound peeled, cored, and chopped apples in 1 1/2 cups water over medium heat until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and let cool. In a food processor or food mill, purée the pulp.

Makes about twenty-nine 1-inch candies.
    The World of Jewish Desserts
    October 2000
    Gil Marks
    Simon & Schuster

• pink_warm_mama_1
    18 years ago

Paula Deen has a recipe for Lemon Fudge.

• Daisyduckworth
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am not acquainted with Paula Deen. Do you have her recipe, Pink?

• joycekk
    16 years ago

I am interested in Paula Deen's Lemon Fudge if you have the recipe. I can't find it.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Found this one online, it's not Paula's, tho...

Lemon Butter Fudge

2 cups granulated sugar
    1/2 cup evaporated whole milk, unsweetened
    1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 (2-inch) piece lemon zest
    4 tablespoons butter (not margarine)
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
    1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
    4 drops yellow food coloring (optional)

Butter the upper sides of a 2-quart saucepan. Put all ingredients except butter and the optional ingredients into the saucepan. Grease and line a 10 x 5-inch pan. Freeze all the butter. Fill the kitchen sink with 1/2 inch of water.

Dissolve the sugar. The mixture may look curdled, but it will turn out fine. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon over low heat until the spoon glides smoothly over the bottom of the an. Increase heat to medium and bring to a boil.

Wash down any crystals that may have formed with a pastry brush dipped in hot water, using as little water as possible. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan. Reduce heat while retaining boil. Stir no more than necessary. Test in ice water when mixture thickens and bubbles become noisy. A ball, formed in ice water, should hold its shape until heat from your hand begins to flatten it, and it should be slightly chewy. The temperature will be approximately 236 degrees F to 244 degrees F.

Remove saucepan from heat and place it in the sink. Add frozen butter without stirring, then allow the fudge to cool.

Stir when lukewarm and skin forms on top (110 degrees F). Add food coloring and check flavoring. Add optional lemon extract if desired. Remove zest, then agitate in a food processor or with an electric mixer and not by hand. Pause frequently to allow fudge to react. Watch for fudge to thicken, lose its sheen, become light in color or streaked with lighter shades, give off some heat, and suddenly stiffen. If mixing by hand, fudge will "snap" with each stroke; by mixer, mixer waves will become very distinct; by food processor, fudge will flow sluggishly back to center when processor is stopped.

Add optional chopped nuts just before you pour. Pour, score and store when cool in airtight container in refrigerator or at room temperature. Yields 1 pound. This recipe is not easily doubled, but it can be frozen.

These are really good! [{{gwi:2044630}}](http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=215168487) Touch of Lemon Sugar Cookies Source: Pillsbury "Cookies, Cookies & More Cookies" 1980 2 c sugar 1 c butter, softened 1T grated lemon peel ¼ c lemon juice 1 tsp vanilla 2 eggs 3\-1/4 c AP flour 1 tsp salt 1 tsp soda 1 tsp cream of tartar Sugar Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. In large bowl, combibe sugar, butter, lemon peel, lemon juice, vanilla and eggs. Cream until smooth. Lightly spoon floour into measuring cup and level off. Stir in flour, salt, soda and cream of tartar until well blended. Shape dough into 1" balls, roll in sugar and place two inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 15\-20 minutes or until lightly browned. (Cookies will be soft in center). Makes 4\-5 dozen cookies My notes: These are really good, light lemon flavor. 12/06

As are these....

Lemon Curd Bars
    Source: Midwest Living December 2006

1 c unsalted butter, softened
    1 c sugar
    2 c all purpose flour
    ½ tsp baking powder
    1 10-12 oz jar lemon curd
    2/3 c flaked coconut
    ½ c sliced or slivered almonds, toasted

Preheat oven to 375F.
    In large mixing bowl, beat butter with electric mixer 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add flour and baking powder, beat until combined and mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 2/3 cup of crumb mixture, and set aside. Press remaining crumb mixture into bottom of a 9x13 pan. Bake 5-8 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven, spread lemon curd over crust, to within ½ inc of edges of pan.
    In bowl, mix reserved crumb mixture with coconut and almonds. Sprinkle over the lemon curd. Bake for 18-20 minutes more or until edges are golden and topping is browned.

Cool and cut into squares. Makes 32 bars.

And finally... [
    ](http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=240125903) Raspberry\-Lemon Shortbread Tart From Every Day with Rachael Ray February\-March 2006 8 Servings Prep Time: 30 min; Cook Time: 50 min 3 cups frozen raspberries (1 pound) 1 stick plus 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar 1 3/4 cups all\-purpose flour 3 large eggs Zest and juice of 2 lemons (about 1/4 cup juice) Confectioners' sugar, for dusting No need to get out your rolling pin or even grease the pan for this dessert. Just use your fingers to mix the shortbread dough, then dump it straight into a cake pan, press down and bake. 1\. Drain the raspberries in a strainer set over a bowl. Preheat the oven to 400°. Using your fingers, combine the butter, 1/2 cup of the sugar and 1 1/2 cups of the flour and blend together until coarse crumbs form. Pour the mixture into an ungreased nonstick 9\-inch springform or cake pan and press down evenly to form a crust. Bake the shortbread crust until lightly golden, about 20 minutes. 2\. Remove the shortbread from the oven and reduce the temperature to 325°. Scatter the drained raspberries evenly over the baked shortbread. 3\. Beat the eggs with the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar until thick and pale yellow. Whisk in the lemon zest, the lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 cup of flour. Pour the lemon cream over the raspberries and bake the tart until the custard is set, about 30 minutes. Let cool, then dust with confectioners' sugar. You can replace the raspberries with your favorite fruitor even pieces of chocolate. Go all the way and swap a teaspoon of vanilla extract for the lemon juice and zest in the quick custard. My notes: Based on the mistakes I made the first try...Make sure the berries are thawed and drained well. Don't make the custard while the crust is baking! While the crust is COOLING I made the custard, and then put the berries on the crust just before pouring the custard on top. Baking time was a bit longer than the 30 minutes stated, too. Also...I made the shortbread in the food processor rather than using my fingers. Worked perfectly. Linda
  • linda_intennessee
    16 years ago

i would make it all and enjoy it !
    but what you have left over, juice the rest of them and freeze them in ice cube trays....pop the into ziploc bags, and you will have fresh juice forever.
    i don't know about there but here they are 50 cents a piece....