Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: A Special Yeast Coffee Cake Recipe

Posted by bcskye (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 1:49

Back in the '60's there was a little German owned bakery at 21st and Ritter on the eastside of Indianapolis, IN. We lived about 2 blocks from it and my mother worked there for a while. She would sometimes bring home a coffee cake, similar to a sweetheart or alligator style (yeast)that was cut in half horizontally and filled with a white cream. It wasn't a true whipped cream, but it wasn't a buttercream or a custard. I really do want to make one, but can't find a recipe that seems to be the cream filling. The bakery is long gone and so is mom and I can't remember the owner's name. I've tried internet searches and have gotten no where. Is there anyone on here that might have any idea of what this might have been called or of a recipe that might fit this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: A Special Yeast Coffee Cake Recipe

Maybe Pastry Cream?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pastry Cream

o

Google "Bee Sting Cake"..........I think that is what you are looking for......it is wonderful. We used to buy it when we lived in Germany.

o

Ginger, it isn't that pastry cream, but I appreciate you sending me a link.

Roselin32, the filling for the Bee Sting Cake might be the right one. I'm going to try a batch tomorrow. The coffee cake was more like a giant yeast danish rather than a cake. Thank you for suggesting I check the Bee Sting Cake.

This afternoon my kid sister said she remembered the name of the bakery, Tom's Pastry, and I then I remembered that was the owner's name. Who would have thought a German with a thick accent named Tom. Anyway, she remembered the cream puffs had a cream filling that wasn't whipped cream, but not a custard or a pudding. She said she had a recipe similar at one time, but can't find it. Eeesh!

o

I have a recipe in my file that I have marked "a good sub. for whipped cream". A friend gave me this recipe a long time ago:

Cook until thick, cool & set aside: 3 t flour + 1/2 cup milk
Whip together: 1/2 cup sugar + 1/4 lb. oleo, Crisco or butter

Add first mixture to second and continue to whip.
Add vanilla, to taste.

This recipe can also be used to frost a cake.
Could this be something like what you are looking for?

o

Hi, lisbet! I don't know if that is it or not. I will definitely give it a try. I'm assuming that the 1/2 sugar is confectioners/powdered sugar, right? Thank you.

o

It has been a long while ago that I needed to use this recipe. If I remember right, I used regular sugar. It turned out very well for me....don't remember it being the least bit grainy at all.

Try super-fine sugar, which you can make yourself by running regular sugar through a blender.

o

I'll bet you are looking for a recipe for BARVARIAN Cream.
It is much richer than plain whipped cream but not as thick
and heavy as pudding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here