Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Question about Crock Pot Apple Butter

Posted by sayhellonow (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 0:11

I have it in the crock pot now, but I didn't read the directions before I started. Here's the recipe:

CROCK POT APPLE BUTTER
Enough apples to fill a crock pot
1/2 c. vinegar
3 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
3 tsp. cinnamon
Pinch cloves
Peel and slice enough apples to fill a crock pot as full as possible. The apples will shrink as the cooking process starts. Add vinegar to apples and cook on high for 8 hours and lower heat to low for 10 hours. After a total of 18 hours of cooking, add the rest of ingredients. Let cook 4 more hours. Put in jars and seal.

#1 question: I combined everything and set the crock pot on high before I read the part that says to add the sugar and spices after cooking for 18 hours. So should I just go ahead and let it cook for the full 23 hours, or start over?

#2 question: The recipe doesn't say anything about a boiling water or pressure cooker process. What little bit of canning I've done I've used the BW method for sealing. Is it ok to do this and, if so, how long should I cook the jars in the canner?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
follow-up

I posted these questions very late last night so I didn't really expect anyone to find it in time for advice -- I just took a chance that someone might still be online.

So. The crock pot is still cookin' away, and this is what I did: I turned it back down to Low and left it until 4 a.m. At that point I turned the setting back up to High and it's still going. In other words, I reversed the timing and settings.

This doesn't tell me what to do about adding the sugar & spices AFTER the 18 hours, but the stuff smells so wonderful I'm just going to leave it and see what happens. I can adjust the taste during the last four hours when I was SUPPOSED to add them.

Now. What do I do about the BW bath? I know I have to adjust most things for my altitude, which is 4,230-something feet.

I'm very new at canning, but I really am loving it and right now the Farmers' Market is just brimming with local fruits and vegetables at very good prices.

o
RE: RECIPE: Question about Crock Pot Apple Butter

I'm reading from the Ball Blue. To the prepared pulp, add sugar and spices in a large heavy clad bottomed pot. Cook slowly until thick enough to round up on a spoon. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece lids. process 10 minutes in BWB. You may add 5 or 10 minutes for your altitude. I used my crockpot and left the cover off for the last 3 hours to thicken up.

o

Thank you, Shirley. I ended up with a mess black as tar, so I threw the whole thing out. It didn't taste bad, in fact the flavor was pretty good except that it was waaay too sweet. My mistake was adding the sugar in the beginning, and that's what turned it all black. Oh well, the Farmers' Market is still open for two more weeks so I'll try again.

o

Did the apple butter burn in the pot? The color should be a dark brown like milk chocolate. Hope you tasted it before tossing it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here