Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgrow_gardens

RECIPE: Looking 4 a good yummy recipe for chicken legs?

bgrow_gardens
16 years ago

I would love to have a couple of nice recipe's for chicken legs specifically. Does anyone have any tasty recipe's out there?? My honey grills them, and they are quite delicious. However, I would like to have a variety too... Sometimes we are just not up to grilling after a grueling day. I am sure you have all been there, done that! Any casserole dishes out there? I am burnt out on frying them as an alternative...I am new to this board so please forgive me if I have stomped on any toes - so to speak... I would love to hear some new ideas to try any suggestions??? Thanks so much,

Barb

Comments (13)

• cookingrvc
    16 years ago

This is an awesome dish from Food network. I have made it several times and this last time i added some white wine (Pinot Grigio)to the chicken in addition to the chicken broth.

I skip the small onions and use a cut up chicken or two, and add a little more zest than listed. I keep the white meat under the dark meet during the final cooking so it doesn't dry out. The taste is amazing and leftovers stay well.

Sue

CHICKEN STEW WITH LEMON AND ROSEMARY

8 chicken thighs, roughly 2 1/2 pounds (each thigh about 6 ounces)
    Kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    4 carrots, sliced into 1-inch bias cut (about 1 1/2 cups)
    4 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch bias cut (about 1 1/2 cups)
    2 sprigs rosemary
    1 lemon, juiced
    2 1/2 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
    3/4 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
    2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    Buttered noodles, accompaniment

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Heat the oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a Dutch oven (12-inch diameter) over medium-high heat. Lay half of the chicken pieces skin-side down in the skillet. Cook the chicken, until golden-brown on both sides, turning once, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.

Reduce the heat to medium, add the carrots and celery, and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Add the rosemary, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add the lemon juice, and scrape up any browned bits that cling to the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the broth, onions, lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon salt and bring just to a boil.

Return the chicken skin-side up to the pot, taking care that the skin is just over the surface of the liquid, and then put the stew in the oven. Cook, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through, tender, and lightly glazed and brown, about 40 minutes. Baste the chicken occasionally in the last 20 minutes of cooking. Meanwhile, use a fork to work the remaining 2 tablespoons butter into the 2 tablespoons flour to make a paste.

Remove the stew from the oven. Remove and discard the rosemary and arrange all the vegetables and chicken (reserving the juices in the pan) in a serving dish/bowl. Place the Dutch oven over medium heat and whisk the butter/flour mixture into the juices until dissolved. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Pour sauce over the chicken and serve immediately over buttered noodles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Stew with Lemon and Rosemary

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

I just sprinkle them with salt, pepper and garlic powder and bake them in the oven at 350 for 45 mins. Quick and easy.

Linda P

• franci37
    16 years ago

My guys love this spicey recipe and it's fast.

Taco Party Legs and Wings

2-1/2 lbs. of chichen legs and wings
    1/4 cup cornmeal
    l envelope taco seasoning mix
    2 tsp. dried parsley
    3/4 tsp. salt

Combine ingredients in zip lock bag. Add add legs and wings to coat. Place in single layer on two greased baking pans. Bake 350 degrees for 25 mins. Turn and bake 10 mins. longer or until juices run clear. 6-8 servings.

This is another favorite that is fast.

Quick Chicken Legs (and/or wings)

Chicken legs or wings
    1 bottle BBQ sauce
    1/2 bottle of French Dressing

Spread chicken legs in baking pan. Mix together one bottle of BBQ sauce and 1/2 bottle of French dressing. Pour over chicken and bake 350 degrees for two hours.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

How could you stomp on any toes with a recipe request? Not to worry! These will work with just legs instead of a whole cut-up chicken:
    TARRAGON & THYME CHICKEN (serves 6-8)
    Two 2 1/2 to 3 lb chickens, cut up
    2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    2 tsp tarragon
    1/2 tsp ground thme
    3 TBL lemon juice
    2 TBL vinegar
    2 TBL chopped parsley
    Lemon slices

Rinse chicken in cold water, dry w/paper towels & place skin side up in a shallow foil-lined baking pan. sprinkle w/salt, pepper, tarragon, thyme, lemon juice & vinegar.
    Cover tightly w/foil & bake in apreheated 375° oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil & bake 20-25 minutes longer until fork tender (might need less time depending on size of legs.)
    To serve, remove chicken to heated platter. Pour pan juices over, sprinkle w/chopped parsley & garnish w/lemon slices.~~

CHICKEN IN BEER (serves 4)
    One 3 lb chicken, cut up
    1/2 cup flour
    4 TBL butter
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 cup sliced celery
    2 bay leaves
    2 tsp chopped parsley
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    2 cups beer

coat chicken w/flour & brown in butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
    In a 2 qt caserole, combine remaining ingredients with chicken, cover & bake in a preheated 350° oven for 1 1/2 hours.~~Bound to Please

• pat_t
    16 years ago

This one's pretty good.

DELICIOUS DRUMSTICKS

1 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
    2-1/4 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. curry powder
    1 tsp. salt
    3/4 tsp. garlic powder
    3/4 tsp. dry mustard
    3/4 tsp. paprika
    1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
    3 lbs. chicken legs
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted

Combine first 8 ingredients on a plate. Place chicken in a large bowl; drizzle even with butter, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.

Place chicken in an aluminum foil-lined broiler pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° F. for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning occasionally. Yield: 5 servings.

Recipe by Gina and Shalina Mirza. From Gallatin Gateway School and Community Cookbook. Gallatin School Support Group, Gallatin Gateway, Montana.

My notes: The original recipe called for 2-1/4 tsp. curry powder. I'm not a big curry fan, so I reduced it to 1 tsp.

• roselin32
    16 years ago

I marinate them in teriyaki sauce, soy sauce and Italian dressing, (just pour and combine however much you want), and then bake them in the oven.
    Do come back and post your favorite recipes.

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

TEQUILA-GLAZED CHICKEN WITH JALAPENO

1 1/2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds, coarsely ground in spice mill or mortar with pestle
    1 3/4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
    1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) cut-up (best of fryer) chicken
    1/3 cup orange juice or pineapple juice
    1/4 cup gold or silver tequila
    2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 to 2 red jalapeño chiles with seeds, finely chopped
    1 shallot, minced
    Nonstick vegetable oil spray

Mix coriander, salt, and red pepper. Sprinkle mixture all over chicken. Arrange chicken, skin side up, on baking sheet; cover and chill at least 6 hours or overnight.

Combine orange juice, tequila, brown sugar, honey, 1 jalapeño, and shallot in small saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Add 1 more jalapeño if more heat is desired. Cool glaze. Transfer 3 tablespoons glaze to small bowl and set aside for serving.

Spray grill with nonstick spray. Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Arrange chicken, skin side up, on grill. Grill 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Brush chicken with glaze in saucepan. Turn chicken over; brush with glaze. Grill until juices run clear when pierced with fork or until instant-read thermometer inserted into chicken registers 170°F, turning and brushing occasionally with glaze, about 10 minutes longer. Transfer to platter. Spoon reserved glaze over.
    Bon Appétit, August 2007
    Molly Stevens

======================================
    Zesty Braised Chicken with Lemon and Capers

8 bone-in chicken thighs with skin (6 ounces each)
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    All-purpose flour, for dusting
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 large peeled garlic cloves
    1 1/2 cups Sauvignon Blanc
    1 1/2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
    Four 1-inch strips of lemon zest
    4 thyme sprigs
    1 tablespoon capers, drained
    1 bay leaf

Preheat the oven to 350°. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust with flour. In a large ovenproof skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook over high heat, turning once, until browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a large plate and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.

Add the garlic to the skillet and cook over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and boil over high heat until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.

Add the stock, lemon zest, thyme, capers and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the pan, skin side up. Transfer the skillet to the oven and braise for about 45 minutes, until the meat is tender.

Return the skillet to the stove and boil until the sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Discard the thyme, bay leaf and lemon zest, if desired, before serving.

• bgrow_gardens
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful recipes!! I am going to have to try them! The local store had an absolutely wonderful price on just chicken legs...(i.e. so cheap I could'nt stand it situation...!). So I bought up a bunch and was sort of nervous on what I was going to do with all of them!! So I froze them as a temporary situation. Eventually I know I am going to have to eat em' ;)! I really appreciate the recipes (Can ya' tell i'm tired of just grilled chicken legs?) I am going to try all the recipe suggestions. They sound so yummy!.. I really love this board. I really do read all the time, I finally got brave enough to ask what would you do if you had...I really appreciate all your responses! They really made my day, if anyone else has anything to add to this post please do so! I really do love to try new recipe's!! I also invent some myself I'll have to post my latest when I get a chance too..I actually came up with a version of spinach casserole if anyone is interested? Most of the stuff I cook is done on the fly ufortunately, a recipe is oh so much easier to follow.
    Thanks,
    Barb

• roselin32
    16 years ago

bgrow, the spinach casserole for sure and any other recipes you want to share with us.
    Thanks.

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

GARLIC ROASTED CHICKEN AND POTATOES Â serves 6

4 Tbsp. butter or margarine
    6 medium size chicken legs & 6 chicken thighs (or 12 pieces of one or the other)
    6 medium size potatoes (about 2 lbs.)
    24 unpeeled garlic cloves
    Salt
    1/4 cup maple syrup

In large roasting pan in 400 degree oven, melt butter. Remove pan from oven. Meanwhile cut potatoes into bite size chunks.

Place chicken pieces, potato chunks and garlic in roasting pan. Sprinkle with 1 Tsp. salt. Turn to coat with melted butter; arrange chicken pieces skin side up. Bake 30 minutes, basting the chicken and potatoes with dripping in pan.

Brush chicken with maple syrup and spoon dripping in pan over potatoes occasionally; bake 20 minutes longer or just until potatoes and chicken are fork-tender.

To serve, divide chicken, potatoes and garlic among 6 warm plates; skim fat from drippings and pour any pan juices over chicken. Each person can cut through garlic skin and spread roasted garlic onto chicken and potatoes.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Yummmm! That one looks good, Ruthanna! And it is easy enough to make just one or two servings. I think I may have made something similar as I love oven baked chicken with garlic and roasted potatoes.

Thanks!

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

Kid love this....I use legs and thighs salt pepper garlic powder and italian bread crumb bake in oven and the last 15/20 minutes cover with a bottle of Catalina dressing...so good and easy!

• decolady01
    16 years ago

Here's one that's very popular at our house. I like being able to get it going early in the slow cooker. It normally works better for me to cook it on low for 8 hours.

Fiesta Chicken Legs

1 Tbsp. oil
    3 lbs. chicken legs
    1 large yellow onion, chopped
    1 large bell pepper, chopped (colour doesn't matter)
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
    1½ cups salsa - homemade or your favourite brand (I use Pace's medium)
    ¼ tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. dried oregano or (3 tsp. fresh)

In a large skillet, heat the oil and sauté the chicken pieces until browned, but not really cooked. Remove and drain. Place the onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeño in skillet and sauté slightly. Place chicken, sautéed veggies, salsa and herbs in the crockpot. Stir gently to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.

I usually serve the chicken legs in one bowl and pass the sauce in another.

Becky