Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlad

LOOKING for: Fresh Fish Recipes

gardenlad
16 years ago

We're taking a fishing vacation on the Outer Banks next week. Possibilities include: grouper, snapper, Spanish mackerel, king mackerel, spot, bluefish, speckled trout, channel bass, striped bass, flounder, and puppy drum.

I'm wondering what your favorite recipes might be for those species.

Comments (17)

• gigi_7
    16 years ago

We are on the Pacific Coast....so most of these varieties are foreign to me......HOWEVER,,,,that is no problema.....just blend:

1 large garlic clove
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1 tsp. kosher salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper

in a blender.....and add

1/2 cup (melted) unsalted butter
    while the motor is running

This is awesome on fish, vegetables, and fingers.

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I reckon for fingers a little more garlic would do. :>)

Thanks, Gigi.

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

If you get a big blue, cooking it this way counteracts some of the oiliness of it. It's also good with striped bass or grouper.

CITRUS-BAKED FISH

1 orange, unpeeled, cut into very thin slices
    1 lemon, unpeeled, cut into very thin slices
    1 lime, unpeeled, cut into very thin slices
    1 large onion, peeled and cut into very thin slices
    1 tsp. salt
    2 Â 3 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
    1 whole fish, gutted (head can be on or off as you prefer), about 5 lbs.
    3 Tbs. butter or margarine

Mix together fruits, onions, Old Bay and salt. Place fish on a rack in a baking dish and put 2/3 of the citrus mixture in the center cavity and 1/3 on top. Dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees until fish is done. Discard stuffing before serving.

• obxgina
    16 years ago

Gardenlad, where are you staying? I just moved from the Outer Banks (Manteo) a year ago. If you need any info, where to visit, where to eat. Let me know!Your best bet for teh freshest seafood is Seamark, much better and better priced than any of teh "Seafood markets." If I may suggest one restaurant to visit is 1587 in Manteo. My son is the chef there and will take very good care of you. Have a great time. Gina

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Gina.

We'll be staying at one of the Days Inns in Kill Devil Hills, but moving up and down the coast from Nags head to Ocracoke. Wherever word of good fishing takes us in the surf and off the piers.

Why don't you PM me (brook@cheftalk.com) with your son's name and all, and we'll try and look him up.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    16 years ago

We're from Cape Cod - my husband is an avid fisher - stripers and blues are what make their way to our table from the boat. With blues, the smaller ones are best and it's important to kill and bleed them right as they're caught. My favorite preparation for bluefish is to smoke them. We eat it warm - out of the smoker. I make fish cakes and fish chowder with the smoked blues, and an easy "pate" with shallots, cream cheese, smoked bluefish and a bit of lemon juice. Good on bagels in the morning...

Striper is my favorite. Any recipe calling for a firm white fish can be adapted to striped bass. Here's a delicious one, served over linguini. Vary the amounts depending on your catch - I've done this with 4 smaller filets and have done it with one very large filet - don't skimp on the spinach.

BAKED STRIPED BASS WITH TOMATOES AND SPINACH

Clean, fillet and skin your striper. Preheat oven to 350 F.

You will need:

chopped fresh garlic, to taste
    fresh spinach
    extra virgin olive oil
    large can of whole tomatoes
    fresh basil
    sweet onions, such as Vidalias
    fresh tomatoes
    white wine
    capers, to taste
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    parmesan and mozzarella cheese

Use a deep ovenproof baking pan - put a generous amount of fresh whole spinach leaves in it. Rub both sides of the striped bass filets with oilive oil, and arrange the fish on top of the spinach. Chop as much fresh garlic as you like to suit your taste, and sprinkle it over the fish and spinach in the pan, along with salt, pepper and chopped fresh basil. Alternate thin slices of fresh sweet onions and fresh tomatoes along the length of each filet. Sprinkle generously with grated parmesan. Crush the canned peeled tomatoes in your hands and pour over the fish - sprinkle with shredded mozzarella. Pour 1 1/2 cups white wine around the pan, and do the same with the capers. Cover with aluminum foil, bake for 45 minutes - uncover, bake another 10. Serve over linguini.

I'm getting homesick!! Hope you catch lots of fish.

seagrass

• jillq
    16 years ago

We went fishing a couple of weeks ago and came back with 8 bluefish one of which one the pool for the biggest by my son. We tried a couple of recipes but this was the favorite. I made it twice. The first time I left out the celery, potatoes and olives. I used what we had.

Here is a link that might be useful: bluefish recipe

• inettopic
    15 years ago

Just came across this post. I recently added a recipes section to my fishing in the kawarthas site and the last recipe I posted was this one

Grilled Bass

Bass, filleted
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/6 to 1/4 cup prepared (plain or fancy, i.e. Grey Poupon) mustard
    1/4 cup apricot preserves or orange marmalade

Blend together last four ingredients and cover fish fillets with the marinade for 2 hours.
    Make a fire on one side of a covered grill.
    Place fish in a wire basket and grill (covered) on the side without the flame for about 7-10 minutes per side. Baste with remaining marinade while grilling. Finish briefly on the flame side but be careful that the marinade does not blacken.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fishing in the Kawarthas

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Gardenlad we really enjoy this recipe from Mallorca:

At the time I took these photos, I couldn't get grouper so used another similar white fish, but since then I have used grouper and we both really love the way this turned out.

INGREDIENTS:

4 - 6 thick round slices or fillets of grouper, perch, hake or other mild, meaty white fish
    2 handfuls of spinach or Swiss chard - roughly chopped
    1 handful of flatleaf Italian parsley - roughly chopped
    3 ripe tomatoes - skinned and cut into large dice
    1 ripe tomato sliced
    1 handful of spring onion - or 1 leek, finely chopped, including all green parts
    2 lbs potatoes - peeled and sliced into rounds
    3 fat cloves garlic, sliced
    1/3 cup pine nuts
    1/3 cup raisins
    olive oil, salt & pepper
    flour for dredging

Utensils needed: Large shallow earthenware, Pyrex or Corningware ovenproof casserole; large frying pan.

METHOD:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Cut any bones from fish, season both sides with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.

2. Heat about 3 TBS oil in large frypan on stove. When oil is hot, cook fish in pan until nearly done, turning once.
    Depending on thickness, that should be about 3 or 4 minutes per side. Remove fish and set aside on a plate.

3. Add a bit more oil to pan and when hot put in sliced potatoes to cover bottom of pan.
    You will probably have to do this 2 or 3 portions at a time.
    Sauté potatoes and when golden turn each slice over using two forks or spatulas.
    As potatoes cook, remove them and place in bottom of casserole dish.

4. When all potatoes have been removed from pan, quickly brown the slices of garlic and the pinenuts in the same oil - that takes only a few seconds. Remove them and put on a small plate.

5. Place the three diced tomatoes in pan and lightly fry them for 3 - 4 minutes.

the garlic, pinenuts and raisins to the tomato in the pan and mix together well, cooking for about 1 minute.

in the casserole and arrange the one sliced tomato on top.

8. Cover the casserole with a sheet of tinfoil and place in heated oven for about 15 minutes.

Source: translated and adapted from: 'Morter sa_Greixonera'

SharonCb

• shambo
    15 years ago

Sharon, your recipe reminds me of the Greek fish plaki that my mom & grandmother used to make. The ingredients are so similar. No potatoes, but the baked fish was covered in a cooked tomato/herb/green onion mixture before it was baked. My family would pick fronds of sweet anise that grew in empty lots around our house and chop them up with the other vegetables too. My grandmother used pine nuts more than my mom ever did. All these similar dishes, must be that Mediterranean influence.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Shambo yes it is definitely a Mediterranean dish with fresh chopped herbs together with tomato and fish.
    I love the combination, with the added pine nuts and raisins.
    Many recipes from Mallorca also use anise, especially in desserts and sweet breads, as well as the anise liqueur which is made there on that island as well.

SharonCb

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Wow, Sharon, that looks delicious! I can't get grouper here. What I can get is halibut ($$$), tilapia, haddock, perch and sole.

Most of these I can only get frozen. I so envy those of you that have access to good, fresh fish! Which would you use from my choices?

Also, I would have to omit the raisins (not a fan), would that make a huge difference?

Linda

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Linda if you don't like raisins then of course leave them out. I love them so to me they add a little to the dish. Any thick cut white fish should do just fine in this dish. Halibut of course would be delicious, but perch or the others would also do, as long as they are cut thickly.

Don't leave out the spinach or pine nuts though. They really are an integral part of this dish.
    Good Luck!

SharonCb

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I prefer really simple treatments of fresh fish, especially when baking; mix some flavorful toppings like these, spread on top of the fish and bake at 425 to 450 for 10 minutes per inch of fish thickness.

Savory Baked Fish

1-2 lb. any type fish fillets
    2 TB water
    1/4 t. dry mustard
    1/2 t. crumbled tarragon
    1 TB finely diced onion
    3 TB mayonnaise
    1 TB lemon juice

Mix water, mustard, onion, tarragon. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add lemon juice and mayonnaise to water/herb mixture. Spread over fish fillets that have been put into a greased shallow baking dish. Bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes, then broil for 5 minutes.

Flavorful Fish

1 1/2 to 2 lbs. fish fillets
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 t. pepper
    2 TB finely chopped onion
    2 TB minced parsley
    2/3 to 1 cup white wine or vermouth (less will do)
    3 TB bread crumbs
    1 TB butter

Place fish fillets in a shallow, greased baking dish; sprinkle seasonings, onion, and parsley over fish. Add enough wine to almost cover fish. Top with bread crumbs and dot with butter. Bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes or until crumbs are browned.

Another easy topping:

mayonnaise - about 2-4 TB for two large fillets
    fresh chopped dill
    or
    dill dip seasoning - like Cherchie's or Jodie's Dippety Dill
    a little grated fresh onion or chopped chives
    a couple teaspoons of lemon juice

Spread on top of fish fillets and bake at 450 for about 10 minutes.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Here is another t&t for flounder:

Pine Bark Stew

flounder(or perch), filleted, one piece or more per serving
    1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    tomatoes - 2 fresh, peeled and sliced or a 1 lb. can drained
    1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped onion
    bacon, 2-3 strips

In a buttered loaf pan or baking dish, make layers as follows:
    fish (dot with butter)
    salt, pepper, dried oregano
    bell pepper
    onion
    tomato

Place bacon on top and bake at 350 until bacon is crisp, about 45 minutes.

• ltcollins1949
    15 years ago

I live on the Texas Coastal Bend, and we get fresh fish all of the time. The following is one of my favorite ways to cook fish because the fish stays moist and tender.

Copano Bay Fish Cooked in Banana Leaves

-Fish filets, trout, flounder, redfish, snapper, Wahoo or your choice of fish, 2-4 fillets depending on size and the number of people serving; even a large redfish can be cut in half and cooked the same way so chose your favorite fish
    -Butter, softened, about 2-3 tablespoons
    -Olive oil, about 2-3 tablespoons
    -Yellow onion, thinly sliced about ½ large onion
    -Garlic, finely chopped, 3-5 cloves
    -White Wine Worcestershire Sauce, about ¼ cup
    -Lemon and/or Lime, sliced
    -Fresh Dill, torn or chopped, about ½ cup, dried dill can be used, about 1 large tablespoon
    -Salt & Pepper to taste
    -Green onion 2-4, chopped
    *Banana leaves two large ones or more if needed according to the amount of fish being cooked

Line the bottom of a large skillet, pan or casserole dish with one banana leaf. Arrange fish fillets on top of the banana leaf. Cover the filets with softened butter then top the filets with thinly sliced onions, chopped garlic and sliced lemons and/or limes and then drizzle some olive oil over the top. Pour the Worcestershire sauce over the fish, and then finish toping with the dill, salt & pepper. Add some wine around the edges of the fish so that it will steam the fish. Then spray the remaining banana leaf with a cooking spray and put on top of the fish securing the leaves together. Cover tightly and start cooking on high heat and cook for about 10 minutes and then lower the heat and continue cooking until fish is tender, but not dried out. Top with green onions right before serving. Serve with fresh lemons and/or limes.

I cooked my fish in an electric skillet for a total of about 45 minutes because I had large red snapper filets, but the time will vary according to the thickness of the fish. This can be cooked in an electric skillet, on the stove top, in the oven or on a grill. Just keep it well sealed so the flavors donÂt escape and the fish dries out.

Variations can include adding sweet bell peppers, mushrooms, black olives, capers or whatever meets your fancy.

*If you canÂt find banana leaves, aluminum foil or parchment paper can be substituted. However, banana leaves not only look beautiful, but also lend a subtle aroma and taste when foods are cooked inside them. And banana leaves can be used for barbecuing, baking, or steaming foods. While functioning as a wrapping material, they also lend a hint of flavor to your food that is very pleasant (unlike aluminum foil or parchment paper)!

Serves 2 to 4 depending on the size of the fillets. A whole fish can serve more people. Remember this recipe is for 2 to 4 filets. If serving more filets or a whole fish, the measurements will need to be increased accordingly.

Linda
    Rockport, TX

• dinkans
    15 years ago

Personally, we prefer pan fried fish. . . had some last Saturday! I first dip the fish filet in a mixture of milk and egg. Then I dip it in a mix of equal parts flour, cornmeal and instant mashed potato flakes. In a skillet I fry the prepared filets in a couple of inches of hot oil. When the fish is golden brown I remove it from the pan, drain on paper towls and season with salt and pepper. YUM!