Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalfreak

LOOKING for: How to make a Box Cake Dense

tropicalfreak
12 years ago

Hoping you all can help with this.

I am looking for the how-to on making cakes dense. Like a wedding cake.

I want to try this for an up coming birthday.

I do have a few questions. With wedding cakes sometimes the layers are flavored. And even marbled. How does one do this?

Thanks.

Tropicalfreak

Comments (5)

• oola
    12 years ago

If you have not yet discovered Hillbilly Housewife.com you are in for a real treat. Lots of goodies, and that is where this recipe came from.

A DELICIOUS HOMEMADE TASTING CAKE USING A CAKE MIX

1 Duncan Hines white cake mix
    1 stick of butter, melted
    1 cup of whole milk
    3 eggs
    1-2 tsp of real vanilla extract

Mix it all up in the mixer till nice and fluffy�bake at 350 degrees for as long as the cake mix box states for the size pan you are using. *Have the milk close to room temperature so it doesn�t solidify the melted butter when you add it to the bowl. I specify Duncan Hines cake mix because you need a cake mix that does NOT have pudding added to the mix. That is why I use Duncan Hines. Also, don�t use yellow cake mix or butter flavor cake mix because they have more artificial flavors in them than the white mix. By using the white cake mix and adding real good flavors from the melted butter, real vanilla and the fat in the whole milk, the cake ends up being delicious! Source: The Hillbilly Housewife

Here is another one:

THE PERFECT WHITE CAKE

1 Duncan Hines white cake mix
    1 C flour
    1 C sugar
    � t salt
    1 1/3 C water
    1 C sour cream
    2 T vegetable oil
    1 t almond extract
    1 t vanilla extract
    4 egg whites

Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour an 11 x 13 cake pan. Stir together the cake mix, flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl until well mixed. Pour in water, sour cream, oil and flavorings and egg whites and beat with an electric mixer on low until all ingredients are mixed and moistened but some lumps still remain, 4 minutes. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake in preheated oven until the top is a light golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center of the
    cake comes out clean; about 25 minutes. Allow to cool before frosting. This makes a dense, moist cake.

One of the variations is to use lemon flavoring instead of vanilla and almond, and liquid flavored coffee creamer in place of the water, and sometimes yogurt instead of sour cream. Adding a � pkg. of instant vanilla pudding mix also guarantees a super moist cake. This is referred to as a hybrid scratch cake. Source: All recipes.com

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

I think the above recipes would give you what you want, I also had a thread a while back of this same subject in the cooking forum(cannot find it anywhere). I have however found that if you simply substitute whole milk for the water, it makes a delicious more dense cake.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I have sent an e-mail to you.

• nerak
    12 years ago

Hello Tropicalfreak,
    This recipe comes from the side of a Ducan Hines cake box.

Lemon pound cake

1 pkg. Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
    1 pkg. 3.4oz.lemon INSTANT pudding and pie filling
    4 large eggs
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup vegetable oil (i use corn oil)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees/F
    Grease and flour 10" bunt pan or tube pan
    Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, and oil in large bowl
    Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes
    Pour into pan
    Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
    Cool in pan 20 to 25 minutes
    Invert onto heat resistant serving plate
    Cool completely

If I use chocolate cake I use chocolate INSTANT pudding
    The same for vanilla ect. I have had this recipe from the box for many yrs. The cake comes out moist and dense.
    If using pan for layer cake, cut down on the cooking time to about 25 to 30 min.

hope this works for you
    Karen

• roselin32
    12 years ago

I add a couple tablespoons of mayo and that seems to help .....plus it makes a nice cake.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES