Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terri_ks

RECIPE: looking for wild rice

terri_ks
17 years ago

What is your favorite wild rice recipe. I have lots of wild rice I bought while on a trip to Minnesota this summer(whole wild rice-not an Uncle Bens mix). I have some soup recipes, but am looking for other ways to use it in casserols etc. Thanks

Comments (17)

• mst___
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I haven't made this in a while but I use to serve it when I had guest.

Wild Rice with Mushrooms and Almonds

5 tablespoons butter
    4 tablespoons onion, chopped fine
    1 cup wild rice
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup sliver blanched almonds
    1/4 cup firm fresh mushrooms, wiped with a damp towel, trimmed, and cut lengthwise,including stems, into 1/4 in. slices.
    freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a heavy 2 qt. casserole equipped with a tightly fitting lid, melt 2 tbsp. of the butter over moderate heat. When the foam begins to subside, add 2 tbsp of the onions and, stirring frequently, cook for about 5 minutes, until soft and transparent but not brown.

2. Add the wild rice and stir until the grains glisten with butter. Then pour in the chicken broth and 1/2 tsp. salt, and stir until mixture comes to a boil.

3. Cover the casserole with a double thickness of aluminum foil and set the lid in place. Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hr., remove the casserole from the oven, and let the rice rest at room temperature for 15 min. before removing the lid and foil.

4. Meanwhile, melt 1 tbsp. of butter in a heavy 10-in. skillet and brown the almonds for a minute or so, stirring constantly so that the color delicately and evenly. With a slotted spoon, transfer the almonds to a paper towels to drain.

5. Add the remaining 2 tbsp. butter to the skillet and melt over moderate heat. When the foam begins to subside, add the remaining 2 tbsp. of onions and stir for about 5 min., or until they are soft and translucent but not brown.

6. Add the mushrooms and, stirring frequently, cook for 10 to 15 min., until the moisture they give off has evaporated. Do not let the mushrooms brown. Season with remaining 1/2 tsp. of salt and few grindings of pepper and set aside.

7. To serve, combine the wild rice and mushrooms in a heated bowl and toss them together gently but thoroughly. Scatter the almonds on top and serve at once.

• lindac
    17 years ago

I loooove wild rice....so much that my favorite recipe is just wild rice!
    I measure 1/4 cup for every person...put it in a pan ( Hoping you will have at least 3/4 cup fo the stuff) with 2 T butter and cook over medium heat until it "pops" and becomes a bit puffed looking....about 6 or 7 minutes.
    Then add 2 cups chicken broth ( for 3/4 cups rice) cover and bring to a boil and shut off the heat for 10 minuites....repeat 3 times....total of 30 minutes time and the rice should be done.
    As a variation of the above you can add 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms and 1 T chopped onion at the beginning of cooking.
    Linda C

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

The "popping" Linda refers to is rather important. I look for that with almost all whole grains, but with wild rice you really want to do it. Wild rice is actually the hard seed of a grass plant, and the popping breaks it open so it can absorb liquid.

My procedure is a little different. I use a ratio of 1 part rice to 1 1/2 water. Put a little oil in the bottom of a pot, add the rice, and stir to coat with the oil. Work over relatively high heat, and keep stirring as the grains pop. Then add the water (or stock) all at once, and cover. When it comes to a boil, turn off the heat and let it sit five minutes.

Bring it back to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer 25-30 minutes without lifting the cover.

This makes a rice that's still a little on the chewy side, which is how we like it. If you want it softer, start with a 1:2 ratio.

You can eat it just as it comes out of the pot, or add onions, mushrooms, etc. if you want. Cooked wild rice can be added to soups and stews of all kinds.

I especially like it served with venison and lamb dishes. Goes good with chicken too.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

From "Gourmet Grains," comes:

Cranapple Waldorf Wild Rice Salad

2-3 cups cooked wild rice
    2 stalks celery, chopped very fine
    3 medium red-skinned aples, chopped fine
    1 cup soft dates, chopped
    1 cup Craisins
    1 small banana (firm but ripe) sliced
    Cukrly leaf lettuce (opt)
    1 cup fresh walnuts, chopped.
    Dressing:
    3/4-1 cup mayonnaise
    1/3 to 1/2 cup honey or rice syrup
    1/3 cup rice milk

In a large bowl combine rice with choped fruites, Craisins, celery and nuts.

Stir dressing ingredients together, or whirl in a blender for a few seconds. Check for creamy taste and consistency. Drizzle onto salad and toss mixture. Served chilled on a bed of curly leaf lettuce.

Rice milk is available in some health food stores. Or substitute soy milk or yogurt if you prefer.

Succulent Corn & Delicata Squash Wild Rice Salad

3 cups cooked wild rice
    1 (15 oz) can corn
    1 large red bell pepper, chopped fine
    1/2 cup scallions, chopped fine
    1/2 cup black olives, sliced
    1 1/2 cups delicata squash, cooked and cut in cubes
    3 Tb ls fresh parsley, minced
    8 cherry tomatoes, quartered

dressing:
    1/2 cup EVOO
    3 tbls tamri
    2-3 tbls white wine vinegar
    1 large garlic clove, crushed
    1 tbls Dijon mustard

In a medium bowl combine wild rice and v egetables.

Mix dressing ingredients together. Drizzle onto salad mixsture. Add squash. Toss all together. Adjust seasonings and oil as desired. Serve either at room temperature or chilled.

From "Amazing Grains:"

Wild Rice Salad

2 1/2 cups water
    1 tsp mulling spices tied in cheesecloth or in a tea baller
    1 cup wild rice, dry roasted*
    Pinch of sea salt
    Juice of 1 orange
    1 tbls mayonnaise
    1 tsp horseradish
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups broccoli (florets & diced stems), blanched**
    1/8 cup slivered red onion
    1/2 cup salted roasted cashews

Bring water, spices and salt to boil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add rice, cover, reduc e heat to medium, and steep until all the liquid is absorbed, about 60 minutes.

Combine orange juice, mayonnaise, horseradish and fresh garlic in a large bowl. Wix with a fork and add broccoli, onions, wild rice and cashews. Toss and mix well. Serve freshly made or chilled.

*To dry roast, pop the rice as Linda and I suggest above, only without the oil. Stir constantly as you dry roast to prevent burning.

**When using broccoli stems, peel them before proceeding.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

WILD RICE & BEEF SALAD (serves 6)
    2 cups julienne strips of roast beef
    1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked wild rice
    2-3 TBL slivered almonds
    1 small onion, minced
    2-3 TBL slivered almonds
    1 small onion, minced
    2-3 TBL chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup sour cream
    1 1/2 to 2 TBL Dijon mustard
    2-3 TBL wine vinegar
    Pinch of sugar
    Dried chervil
    Lettuce leaves

Mix the beef, rice, almonds, onion & green pepper in a bowl. In the other bowl, season the sour cream to taste w/mustard, vinegar, very little sugar & 1/2 tsp or more of chervil.
    Toss the meat & rice mixture w/the sour cream dressing & refrigerate for an hour or so. Serve on lettuce leaves.~~Thyme for all Seasons

SHERRIED WILD RICE (serves 8)
    1 cup wild rice
    1 stick butter
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    2 TBL finely chopped onion
    8 oz fresh mushrooms, wiped, trimmed & sliced
    1 tsp salt
    2 TBL sherry
    3 cups boiling chicken broth

Pour 1 1/2 qts of boiling water over the rice & let it stand 30 minutes. Drain. Pour another 1 1/2 qts boilinb water over the rice. Allow the rice to cool completely in the water; drain well.
    Preheat oven to 325. In a skillet, melt the butter & stir in the rice, almonds, onion, mushrooms & salt. Saute over medium heat 5 minutes, being careful not to let the almonds or onions brown. Stir in the sherry. Turn into a 2 1/2 qt caserole. Pour the boiling chicken broth over the rice. Bake covered for 1 hour & 15 minutes. Uncover & bake 35-40 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.~~Nuggets

WINTER WILD RICE W/DRIED CHERRIES (serves 6)
    2 TBL butter
    1/2 cup chopped shallots
    2 2/3 cups chicken stock
    1/2 lb wild rice
    1 tsp dried thyme
    2 1/2 cups hazelnuts
    3/4 cup dried cherries
    2 TBL chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 350°. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute the shallots until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, increase the heat to high & bring to a boil. Add the rice & thyme; reduce the heat to low, cover & cook for 40 minutes.
    Meanwhile toast the hazelnuts on a baking sheet for 8 minutes. While still warm, place nuts in a towel & rub together to remove as much of the brown husk as possible. Chop nuts coarsely.
    Add the toasted nuts & cherries to the rice; cover & continue cooking for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender & all the stock has been absorbed. (Rice should be gloassy & moist.) Sprinkle w/the parsley & serve immediately.~~Simply Classic

WILD RICE (serves 6)
    1 cup wild rice, soaked overnight
    10 oz can consomme
    5 TBL butter
    3/4 lbs mushrooms, sliced
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
    1 bunch green onions, sliced
    6 oz can water chestnuts, drained & chopped
    3 TBL chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
    1/2 cup vermouth

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 2 qt casserole & set it aside. Rinse the wild rice well; drain. Combine the wild rice & consomme in a large saucepan; simmer, covered until liquid has been absorbed, about 30 minutes.
    In a large skillet, melt 4 TBL of the butter & saute the vegetables until limp. Add the parsley & almonds; mix thoroughly. Combine the vegetable mixture w/the cooked rice; place in the casserole. If not serving right away, cover & refrigerate until ready to use. When ready to heat, add the vermouth & dot w/the remaining butter. Cover & bake 30-40 minutes.~~Some Like It Hot

• Marigene
    17 years ago

Here is a wonderful soup that you can add to your collection!

Antlers Wild Rice Soup

1/2 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
    3 14-ounce cans chicken broth or 5 1/4 cups homemade chicken stock
    1 cup chopped carrot
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    2 T butter
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 cup whipping cream (I used half and half)
    2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used turkey)
    Snipped fresh chives (optional)

1. In 4 qt. Dutch oven, combine uncooked wild rice, 2 cans broth, carrot, celery and onion. Bring to boiling; reduce heat, simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until the rice is tender but still chewy, adding mushrooms the last 5 minutes of cooking.
    2. In medium saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add the remaining 1 can of broth. Cook and stir until bubbly for 1 minute more; stir in the cream. Add cream mixture to rice mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken, heat through. Garnish each serving with chives.
    It was suggested it needed garlic and thyme, I am inclined to agree having had it both ways

• vagardengirl
    17 years ago

Here is a recipe I have been making for more years than I care to remember! :)
    Chicken Artichoke and Wild Rice Casserole
    Serves 8-10.

3 cups water
    1 cup wild rice
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 Tbsp. butter
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup thinly sliced celery
    1 cup shredded carrot
    1 3/4 cups chicken stock
    2 cups light cream
    1/4 cup flour
    3/4 tsp. salt
    2 Tbsp. sherry
    freshly ground pepper
    3 cups cooked, cubed chicken
    14 oz. can artichokes, drained and chopped
    1/3 cup toasted sliced almonds
    In medium-sized saucepan, bring water to a boil.
    Stir in rice and salt.
    Cover and simmer 45-55 minutes or until rice is tender but still chewy.
    Drain rice in colander.
    Melt butter in large frying pan over medium heat.
    Add onion, celery and carrot.
    Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
    Add stock to veggies in frying pan and bring to a boil.
    In bowl, whisk cream and flour until smooth.
    Gradually whisk into boiling broth.
    Add salt, sherry and pepper.
    Bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Add rice to sauce.
    Add chicken and artichokes to sauce and mix well.
    Pour mixture into shallow 2 1/2 - 3 qt. baking dish.
    Cover and bake at 350 F. for 35-40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
    Sprinkle with almonds.

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Well, I can't let this thread go without adding my own Minnesota wild rice soup recipe! LOL

Linda's Minnesota Wild Rice Soup

2T butter
    1/4c chopped onion
    1/2c flour
    4c chicken broth
    1-1/2c cooked wild rice
    1/2 tsp salt
    1c diced chicken or ham
    1/2c grated carrot
    1c half and half
    1T dry white wine
    1/2c slivered almonds

Melt butter in saucepan, saute onion til tender. Whisk in flour then
    gradually add broth. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Add rice,
    salt, chicken, and carrots. Blend in cream and wine, heat to serving
    temperature. Garnish with slivered almonds.

Linda

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Here is one I posted a while ago, from The Silver Palate Cookbook

Jeweled Wild Rice Salad

Ingredients
    1 Cup Raw wild rice
    5 1/2 C Water or low-salt chicken broth
    1 C Pecan halves
    1 C Golden raisins (plumped for 1/2 hour in hot water)
    zest From 1 large orange
    2 TB Finely chopped fresh mint leaves
    6 each Green onions, thinly sliced white portion and 1/2" of green part
    1/4 C Olive oil
    1/3 C Fresh orange juice
    1 1/2 t Salt
    to taste Freshly ground pepper

Instructions
    Rinse the rice throughly in cold water. Let it drain in a fine strainer.

Put the rice in a medium sauce pan and add the broth or water. Bring to a rapid boil. Lower heat to a gentle simmer. Cook uncovered for 45 minutes. After 30 minutes start checking for doneness. You want the rice done but not mushy. Drain the rice in a fine sieve or in a collander lined with a thin towel.

Add remaining ingredients to the rice and fold gently. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Let the salad sit for at least 2 hours for flavors to meld.

Serve at room temperature.

• vagardengirl
    17 years ago

Wow...a great bunch of recipes here. :)

• terri_ks
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow. I guess so! Thanks so much. I will try everyone of them as I am afraid I purchased alot of wild rice because it is so much less expensive in Mn. Marigene I ate at an Antlers resturant in Park Rapids that served wild rice soup. Would that be a something if it was there recipe!

• terri_ks
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow. I guess so! Thanks so much. I will try everyone of them as I am afraid I purchased alot of wild rice because it is so much less expensive in Mn. Marigene I ate at an Antlers resturant in Park Rapids that served wild rice soup. Would that be a something if it was there recipe!

• Marigene
    17 years ago

It is the same recipe, it came out of Midwest Living Magazine a year or two ago. I have just added the garlic and thyme at AnnT's recommedation.

• lindac
    17 years ago

The recipe from Midwest Living was the Recipe from Antlers at Breezy Point in Brainerd.
    There are places called Antlers all over the country and likely more than a couple in northern Minnesota.
    I have a good friend who is Ojibwa and her father used to harvest and roast wild rice and she would be the "contact". I would buy huge bags of it for about $3.00 a pound. The real stuff, harvested from a canoe and roasted in a giant iron kettle.
    And now the are growing "wild rice" commercially in California....alas!
    Linda C

• terri_ks
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went to Breezy Point for my honeymoon, but that was some 25 years ago!

• becky_ca
    17 years ago

I know you said you had some soup recipes, but here's another one for you :-)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cream of Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

Recipe By :Becky Chatham
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup wild rice
    1 whole chicken (3-4 pounds) -- skinned and cut up
    7 cups chicken broth (or broth and water
    combined)
    2 stalks celery -- sliced
    2 small onions -- chopped
    2 large carrots -- sliced
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 cups mushrooms -- sliced
    3/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup butter
    3/4 cup flour
    4 cups half and half
    3/4 cup white wine

Boil rice in 8 cups of water for 30 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes, or until soft. Meanwhile, put chicken in large pot and add broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes. Strain rice and set aside. Remove chicken from broth, and when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones, chop and set aside. In a large skillet, saute celery, onion, carrots and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons oil until onions are translucent. When done, add to broth in large pot and bring broth to a simmer to complete cooking of vegetables. Melt butter in same skillet, and when melted, add flour and cook until smooth and bubbly. Add half and half, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil, then boil and stir for 1 full minute. Add white sauce to broth and stir well to combine. Add reserved wild rice, chicken meat and white wine. Continue to cook until heated through, then serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Can't believe none of us have posted a wild rice dressing for poultry. Here's one of many:

3-4 cups cooked wild rice
    2/3 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
    2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cubed
    1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
    2 tsp dried savory
    3 tbls parsley, chopped
    Freshly ground black pepper
    salt

Mix together all ingredients. Use to fill the cavity of a goose (preferred), turkey, or a couple of ducks or roasting hens.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!