Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ktee_gw

RECIPE: Yummy, mistake-proof recipes

ktee
17 years ago

How 'bout sharing some yummy recipes that even I can't mess up!

Comments (30)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

WORLD'S FASTEST STRAWBERRY MOUSSE (serves 2-4)
    One 10 oz pkg frozen sweetened strawberries
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    Mix all ingredients in the blender & freeze. Serve in sherbet glasses.~~River Road Recipes

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Ktee, every recipe is mistake proof. If it doesn't turn out persactly as planned then it's just a new dish.

That said, what sorts of things---entrees, sides, desserts, etc.---are you looking for?

• ktee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am not picky. I will take any fool-proof recipe I can get. Interesting way to look at it, gardenlad. Unfortunately my "new dishes" would NEVER want to be duplicated.

• glenda_al
    17 years ago

I can testify to Ginger's strawberry mousse!! Delicious and so easy!

• pat_t
    17 years ago

IDIOT PORK CHOPS

2 sticks butter, melted
    2 eggs, beaten
    Italian bread crumbs
    6 pork chops

Mix the melted butter and the eggs being careful that the butter is not so hot it will cook the eggs. Dip your pork chops in the butter/egg mix, and then the Italian bread crumbs, and then dip it AGAIN in the butter/egg mix and Again in the Italian bread crumbs. You have to dip it in each twice as it is not as good if you only do it one time. Bake the pork chops at 350° F. for 40 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of the chops.

BUTTER BAKED CHICKEN

1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut in parts
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup packaged cornflake crumbs (or just crushed corn flakes)
    1/2 cup flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. poultry seasoning
    4 Tblsp. butter, melted

DIRECTIONS:
    Remove skin from chicken and discard. Dip chicken parts in buttermilk. In shallow dish, mix together corn flake crumbs, flour, salt and poultry seasoning; add chicken, one piece at a time, dredging to coat. Arrange chicken in single layer in well-buttered dish. Drizzle melted butter over chicken. Place in 375° F. oven and bake about 45 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Makes 4 servings.

SAVORY CHUCK ROAST
    1 (3 lb.) boneless chuck roast trimmed
    2 Tblsp. white vinegar
    1 tsp. Garlic salt
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 Tblsp. olive oil
    1 envelope Lipton Dry Onion-Mushroom soup mix
    3/4 cup sherry
    1/4 cup brewed coffee
    1 cup sliced mushrooms

Rub roast with vinegar. Cut 8-10 slits in roast and sprinkle with garlic salt in slits. Dredge roast in flour; brown on all sides in hot oil over medium heat. Combine soup mix, sherry and coffee; pour over roast. Add mushrooms. Bake, covered, at 350° F. for 3 hours. Serve with steamed veggies.

CROCKPOT METHOD: After browning meat place and remaining ingredients in crockpot and cook on high for 2 hours, reduce temperature to low and cook for an additional 7 hours.

Recipe from Southern Living Recipes 2000.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Thanks again, Glenda! Why don't you share your breakfast cookies recipe? That's a keeper.

Ktee, do you have a crockpot?

• ktee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do have a crockpot!

• glenda_al
    17 years ago

This is a tried and true breakfast cookie recipe!!
    1/2 cup butter softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1 egg
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    10 bacon strips -cooked and crumbled
    2 cups cornflakes
    1/2 cup raisins
    Cream butter and sugar
    Beat in egg, flour and soda
    Stir in bacon, cornflakes and raisins
    Drop by rounded Tbl 2" apart on ungreased pan
    Bake 15-18 minutes until lightly browned
    Cool 2 minutes before removing from pan
    Store in refrig
    We like to heat them slightly before eating. Enjoy!!!

• Marigene
    17 years ago

Here is one that is delicious that is made in the crockpot. I am going to make it this coming week, probably Wednesday when I next make homemade bread so that I can make hard rolls to serve it on. Can't wait!.

CROCKPOT FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES

2 cups water
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    4 whole peppercorns
    1 tsp dried rosemary
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp garlic powder (had none so used 1 minced garlic clove)
    3 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
    8 French or sourdough rolls, split

Combine water, soy sauce, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme & garlic in a slow cooker, stirring until well blended. Place roast in cooker & cover.
    Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender. Remove meat from broth & shred with a fork. Serve beef on rolls. Pour broth in small bowls for dipping.~~ Good topped with Swiss cheese or sauteed onions, peppers or both. I like mustard on the rolls, too.~~
    Posted by Ginger St. Thomas

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Hm.....Glenda, can I leave the raisins out??
    MG,I have a roast in the freezer.......might have to make that French Dip. I made Giada's Italian roast last week and it was very good. Here's her recipe:
    1 (4-pound) boneless beef chuck roast
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 onions, sliced
    6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
    1 cup dry red wine
    1 3/4 cups canned beef broth
    1/2-ounce dried porcini mushrooms
    1 large sprig fresh rosemary, plus extra for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    Pat the beef dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the beef generously with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy 6-quart roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until brown on all sides, about 15 minutes total cooking time. Transfer the beef to a bowl. Add remaining tablespoon oil to the pan, add the onions and saute until tender, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pot, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute. Add the wine and boil 1 minute. Stir in the broth and mushrooms. Return the beef to the pan. Bring the liquids to a boil. Cover and transfer to the oven. Braise until the beef is fork-tender, turning the beef over halfway through cooking, about 3 hours.

Transfer the beef to a cutting board. Tent the beef with foil and let stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile, spoon any excess fat off the top of the pan juices. Transfer the pan juices and vegetables to a blender and puree until smooth. Combine the sauce and rosemary sprig in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Cut the beef across the grain into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange the sliced beef on a platter and garnish with rosemary. Spoon the sauce over and serve.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Try the breakfast cookies. They're really good (I leave out the raisins.)

Glad you like the French Dip recipe, Marigene.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Since you do have a crockpot, try this one too. You can cut back on the peppers if you can't take much heat at all but I use the whole jar.

ITALIAN BEEF
    One 3-4 lb roast beef (rump roast or sirloin tip)
    1 jar pepperochini peppers, juice & all
    1 can beer
    1 can beef bouillon
    Combine all ingredients in a large crockpot. Cook on high 30 minutes; reduce heat to low. Cook until beef is tender. For supper, start cooking before work. If you want it for luch cook at bedtime.)
    Remove meat from juices, slice thinly & return to pot. Serve on hoagie buns & dip sandwiches in juice.~~

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

KTEE. had an argument with a router, and lost. So can't type too well. Will post some fail-proofs soon as I can type better.

• woodie
    17 years ago

Sorry, Gardenlad, don't want to laugh at a person in pain, but I love "persactly" :-)

This is a fantastic recipe and you can't make a mistake, I promise you - cook a little too long, its still okay, add too much or too little mustard, its still okay. It will just get better the next time you make it. You can't make a mistake. Thank you Weed!

Posted by weed30 (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 10:06
    One of the few dishes I make with no garlic ;)

WEED'S PORK TENDERLOIN WITH DIJON CREAM
    Serves: 2
    Prep time: 15 min
    Cook time: 15 min

1# pork tenderloin, cut into 1" slices
    Seasoned flour (S&P)
    2 Tbl. butter, divided
    2 tsp. canola or olive oil
    2 green onions, sliced (coin shape), white and green parts separated
    1/3 cup white wine or dry vermouth
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 tsp. Dijon mustard - or more to taste (Woodie's note - need more)
    salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to low, about 170 degrees.
    Pound pork medallions to 1/2" thick.
    Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tsp. oil over medium high heat.

Dredge pork in seasoned flour. Add all at once to pan and saute 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and hold in the oven while finishing the sauce. (pork will be a bit underdone but will finish in the oven.)

Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to pan.
    Add white part of onion, saute for 1 minute.
    Add wine or vermouth, simmer until reduced to about 3 tablespoons.
    Add cream, simmer 2 - 3 minutes until thickened.*
    Stir in Dijon, add salt and pepper to taste.
    Spoon sauce over pork, garnish with green part of onion.

*If sauce ends up too thick for your liking, add a little water, but no more than 1/4 cup.

• kristin43
    17 years ago

Wow! Am I glad I found this forum! These recipes sound great, I can't wait to try some of them. Here's another one:

Enough chicken legs / thighs to fill a 9 x 13 pan.
    1large bottle of Catalina Salad Dressing
    1 large bottle of Barbecue sauce

Put chicken in pan, pour Catalina and BBq sauce over top.
    place in oven at 250 for about 5 hours. Serve with rice or noodles.

This is a big favorite in our house.

For those of us who are "meat challenged", I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best cuts of meat to buy would be for a Black Diamond Steak and for a roast. Thanks!

• ysop1016
    17 years ago

Pat-T,
    Do you cook the Idiot pork chops covered with a lid or in an open pan?
    TIA

• angelaid
    17 years ago

No Peek Casserole

From Anne @ The KT Recipe Exchange This is a recipe that my family literally will fight over. It makes a delicious gravy (what they fight over) and absolutely nothing to making it.I double the recipe and there is still none left at the end of the meal.

No Peek Casserole
    2 lbs stew meat (I use 3 lbs)
    1 can Campbell's Chicken Mushroom Soup
    1/2 cup Ginger Ale
    1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    1 4 oz jar mushrooms, drained (optional)

Preheat oven to 300. Combine ALL ingredients (DO NOT brown meat and DO NOT dilute soup with water) together. Mix well. It will be lumpy before it's cooked. Pour into a casserole dish and cover. Bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours. DON'T PEEK!! Serve over pasta, rice or mashed potatoes. The smell as it's cooking is WONDERFUL

(Can you tell I LOVE Anne's No Peek Casserole? LOL)

• pat_t
    17 years ago

ysop - No cover required.

• dlhealdquilter
    17 years ago

Ktee

Here are a couple of my favorite quick, easy and simple recipies:

SHEPARDS PIE

1 pkg ground beef (oh about a pound)
    1 small to medium size onion chopped
    2 packages mushroom gravy mix (in the spice isle)
    frozen vegetables of your choice (I usually used mixed)
    shredded cheddar cheese
    Mashed Potatoes

Brown ground beef and onions in a skilled until meat is no longer pink. Drain off fat. Add 1 1/2 cups water and the two packages of mushroom gravy mix. Add frozen vegetables and simmer until vegetables are warm.

Meanwhile make your mashed potatoes...make lots. I usually make real mashed potatoes but do use instant when time is a factor.

Transfer your ground beef mixture to a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Top with a nice THICK layer of mashed potatoes and dot with butter. Pop into a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

RAMIN NOODLE SALAD

Cool Ramin noodles according to package directions and drain. Cook as many packages as you think you will need depending on the number of people you are going to serve.

Meanwhile start dicing fresh vegetables (i.e., cucumbers, red onion, tomatoes) Add some sliced or chopped black olives to your vegetables. Now mix your vegetables with your drained noodles and stir in Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing until you think you have enough.

Need more variety in your salad...add some crumbled imitation crab meat, diced ham, chicken, etc.

Refrigerate until serving time and enjoy!

• ysop1016
    17 years ago

Pat-t,
    I made the Idiot Pork Chops today. They were the best. The recipe sounded like no way but I am so glad that I tried it. It 's a keeper. for sure!

• pat_t
    17 years ago

ysop - thanks for the report. I thought it was one of the easiest dishes I'd ever made too. Glad you enjoyed it too.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

KTee, I've a long post that I was going to send you privately. But your email isn't part of your member's page.

Could you send it to me: BrookBarb@aol.com. Thanks.

• linda_intennessee
    17 years ago

Orange Lemonade

1 3/4 cups sugar
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice (about 8 lemons)
    1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice (about 5 oranges)
    2 tablespoons lemon peel
    2 tablespoons orange peel
    Water

1. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Cool.
    2. Add juices and peel to cooled sugar syrup. Cover and let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Strain syrup; cover and refrigerate.
    3. To serve, fill glasses or pitcher with equal amounts of fruit syrup and water. Add ice and serve.
      Yield: 12 servings.
  • ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

PORCUPINES -serves 2

½ lb. ground beef
    ¼ cup uncooked rice
    ¼ cup milk
    2 Tbs. finely chopped onion
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    dash of pepper
    1 Tbs. oil or shortening
    1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
    ½ cup water
    1 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce

Mix beef, rice, milk, onion, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Form into 4 balls. Fry in melted shortening, tuning frequently, until light brown but not crusty on all sides. Mix together and add remaining ingredients. Cover, simmer 45 minutes over low heat, turning porcupines occasionally.

HONEY CURRIED CHICKEN

4 bone-in chicken breasts or 1 cut up chicken
    ¼ cup melted butter or margarine
    ¼ cup honey
    ½ cup orange juice
    2 Tbs. prepared mustard
    ½ tsp. salt
    1 tsp. curry powder
    2 Tbs. dark rum

Place chicken skin side up in shallow baking dish and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine remaining ingredients, stirring well. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake for one hour, basting occasionally with sauce.

Note: I melt the butter in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave and then add the honey and orange juice directly to it so I donÂt dirty measuring cups.

• jackiwolfe
    17 years ago

Cheese Ravioli Pasta Bake
    (like lasagna, but way easier!!)

1 pkg. frozen ravioli
    1 jar spaghetti sauce
    1 16 oz. carton ricotta cheese
    1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

Put a small amount of sauce in bottom of a 2 qt casserole dish. Put in a layer of frozen ravioli, then a layer of ricotta cheese, then a layer of spaghetti sauce. Repeat layers until ravioli is used up. Top with the mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Fastest, Easiest Homemade Pizza Crust

Ingredients:
    2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    12 oz. beer

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400.

Combine all ingredients. Dough does not have to rise at all, but will be fairly wet and sticky. Press into oiled cookie sheet (12 x 18" or slightly smaller works well). If it seems too sticky to work with, sprinkle a little flour on it as you pat/press it into the pan.

Top with your favorite sauce & toppings. Bake 20-25 minutes or until dough is browning & crisp around edges.

Serves: 4-6

I will never make any other type of pizza crust! You can't beat one that doesn't have to rise!!

-Jacki Wolfe
    http://cookingwiththewolfes.blogspot.com

• mandogirl
    17 years ago

I'm new here. Hi, everybody! Here's a beef stew using canned soup. I've done the from-scratch thing for stew, but believe it or not this is so much better, and it couldn't be easier:

5-hour Oven Stew:
    2 lbs stew meat
    enough peeled & roughly chopped potatoes (I like Yukon Golds) to your liking
    enough carrots (I use baby carrots) to your liking
    1 can condensed Golden Mushroom soup
    1 can condensed French Onion soup

Stir the soups together in an oven-safe casserole with lid or Dutch oven.
    Mix all other ingredients in, stirring to coat
    Bake at 250 for 5 hours.
    That's it! Great with warm bread on a cold day ;-)

• posie4u
    17 years ago

I do a baked ravioli that is a bit different from Jacki's. People are always asking for the recipe. Teenagers truly like it and can't seem to get enough of it.

Baked Ravioli

1 lb. ground beef OR ground turkey OR Italian sausage
    1 package frozen beef or cheese ravioli
    2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    28 oz. jar spaghetti sauce

Brown ground beef. Mix all ingredients together in a very large bowl. Put in a 9 X 13 pan sprayed with Pam. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Uncover; add additional mozzarella cheese on top. Turn oven off and replace uncovered ravioli in oven for another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.

• posie4u
    17 years ago

Thanks a million for the pizza crust recipe, Jacki.

• posie4u
    17 years ago

Here is another recipe I have used for many years; it always gets rave reviews. To my way of thinking, this is one of those recipes that tastes like you have spent hours preparing the dish from scratch.

Toasted Almond Pudding

1 stick margarine -- melted and cooled
    1 cup flour
    7 ounce can coconut
    1 cup blanched-slivered almonds
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 3.4 oz boxes French vanilla instant pudding
    2 cups milk
    8 ounce tub Cool Whip®

Mix margarine, coconut, flour, brown sugar, and almonds together. Put in a large jelly roll pan or a large cookie sheet with very shallow sides. Bake at 325 degrees, stirring frequently, until mixture is brown. Cool and reserve some for topping.

Mix together vanilla pudding, milk, and cool whip; chill.

Spread toasted almond/coconut mixture evenly in bottom of 9 X 13 glass dish. With a light touch spread the pudding mixture evenly over the almond/coconut mixture. Sprinkle the top with reserved almond/coconut mixture. Refrigerate.

NOTE: I have used this recipe for many years and have learned that browning the coconut mixture at 325 degrees is just too hot of an oven. I heat the oven to 325, then turn it down to 300 degrees. You do have to watch and stir very frequently.

• aprilwhirlwind
    17 years ago

I wanted to thank Ruthanna for the Porcupine Meatballs recipe. I lost my copy of that recipe years ago after we left PA. Yours sounds just like the one I used to make, simple but tasty.