Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdgardengurl

RECIPE: I know it's early, but... Fresh Cranberry Relish

mdgardengurl
17 years ago

My family didn't like the canned or cooked cranberry relishes I used to serve during the holiday, but I wanted them to reap the benefits of the fruit, so I came up with a delicious relish using fresh fruit.

1 bag fresh cranberries

2 large navel oranges, peeled and sectioned

1 small box raspberry jello

1/2 bag mini marshmallows

2 cups cranberry juice coctail, if you can't find 100% juice

1 cup chopped walnuts

Wash cranberries and chop in food processor. Cut up orange sections. Put chopped cranberries, oranges, walnuts and marshmallows into large bowl. Make jello according to box directions, but substitute the cranberry juice for the water. Cool jello to room temperature, then mix with the ingredients in the bowl. Chill, but stir about every 15 - 30 minutes until all the jello is absorbed.

I make jars of this as gifts for friends at Christmas.

Comments (9)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I bet that is good. Thanks for posting it & I think I'll save that one. Never too early for good cranberry relish. I got this one from a friend who got it from a Williams-Sonoma catalog:
    GINGER-PEAR CRANBERRY SAUCE

1 firm ripe pear
    juice from 1/2 lemon
    3 Cups fresh cranberries (1 bag)
    1 Cup sugar
    2/3 Cup water
    1/4 Cup crystallized ginger (NOT candied)
    1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Peel, quarter, core, chop the pear.

Place in saucepan with lemon juice, stir well.

Sort berries (rinse in a colander and toss out the lousy looking ones and any stems). Add to pear along with sugar, water, cinnamon, and ginger. Boil, reduce to simmer, cover partially and simmer gently till pear is tender and cranberries burst.

Cool, then refrigerate.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

A friend of mine from San Antonio gave me her recipe for cranberry sauce and I think it has raspberry gelatin in it too. Will have to look.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Here's the one from my SA friend:
    1 3oz pk raspberry jello
    1 3oz pk lemon jello
    1 pk unflavored gelatin
    1 1/2c boiling water
    1 10 oz pk raspberries
    1 c orange cranberry relish
    7 oz lemon lime soda
    Mix all together except for the soda-chill til cold but not set. Carefully pour soda in along the edge and with a spoon mix in an up and down fashion along the edge. Chill til partly set, then pour into a 5 1/2c mold and chill at least 4 hours.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Wow....amazing. That's a lot of different flavors of Jello and gelatin. ought to be ineteresting.
    What is cranberry orange relish that it calls for a cup of???
    Linda C

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

Mdgardengurl, your recipe sounds a lot like one my aunt ussed to make. Thanks.

When cranberries are on sale around Thanksgiving, I always make a few batches of this and freeze in freezer bags. Kids like the pink color.

HOLIDAY APPLESAUCE

4 lb. sweet apples (Red or Golden Delicious, Empire, Winesap, etc.), cut into chunks (donÂt peel or core)
    3 cups cranberries (12 oz.)
    1 cup unsweetened apple cider
    Two 3-inch strips lemon zest
    1/ 2 cup sugar
    3/ 4 tsp. ground cinnamon

In covered pot, simmer apples, cranberries, cider and lemon peel, stirring occasionally, for 1/ 2 hour or more, until apples are very tender. Add sugar and cinnamon. Simmer, covered 10 minutes. Discard zest. Pass mixture through a food mill. Add honey, sugar, or brown sugar to taste. Makes about 2 quarts. Can be frozen.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

What difference does it make, Linda? Your dislike of Jello is well-known.

• mdgardengurl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow - Great recipes from all of you! :)
    Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Community Garden Website

• linda_intennessee
    17 years ago

here is how i make mine...and we love it...
    Cranberry orange relish

1 package cranberries
    2 oranges
    Rind of the 2 oranges
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup pecans

Mix the cranberries and the orange peel together. Cut up the oranges into sections, stir in the pecans.
    Add all together.
    In a Cuisinart bowl..with bottom blade...put lid on and start adding all together in bowl until the last of the
    Ingredients are added. Stop process.
    Put in fridge to chill.
    ((or you can add it all to the bowl and process untill it is the right Consistency))
    Linda in Tennessee

• hhcooker
    17 years ago

Now for an easy and delicious one:

Fresh Cranberry Relish
    2 navel oranges.
    1 12oz, bag fresh or frozen cranberries
    1 - 1 1/2 c granulated sugar or brown sugar
    1/4 c coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts.

Wash fruit and rinse cranberries. Cut off ends of the oranges and then cut them into chunks. Place them in a food processor along with the cranberries.
    Chop to desired consistancy.
    Add sugar to taste.
    Chill. Fold in nuts before serving.
    Best if chilled overnight. Can be frozen with out nuts.
    Adjust amount of sugar according to the sweetness of the oranges. Chill. Add the nuts before serving.