Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlou

RECIPE: Chicken tetrazzini

Mary Harris
14 years ago

Would you share your easy and delicious recipe for this casserole dish. Thanks so very much.

Comments (12)

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Here is a link to my favorite version of this dish. It freezes very well also. I happen to like the classic addition of the sherry, but you could leave it out if desired and just add a little more chicken broth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Food.about.com

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

I forget about the classics sometimes. Thanks for the reminder, teresa. :)

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

This is very similar to the one Teresa posted. I simplify it by using poached chicken or leftover roasted or rotisserie chicken:
    CHICKEN TETRAZZINI (serves 6-8 )
    Three 2 lb chicken, cut up
    1 1/2 cups chopped celery tops
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 medium onion, sliced
    2 1/2 tsp salt
    5 TBL butter
    8 oz mushrooms, wiped, trimmed & sliced
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 cup heavy cream
    2 1/2 TBL dry sherry
    3-4 TBL sliced blanched almonds
    8 oz box egg noodles, boiled & drained
    3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    5 TBL grated Parmesan

Place the chicken pieces in a large pan with the celery, parsley, onion, 2 tsp salt & 3 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat & simmer until tender. Remove the skin & bones from the chicken & cut the meat into bite-sized chunks. Strain & reserve the broth.~~
    Melt the butter in a large saucepan. When hot, add the mushrooms & saute 2 minutes. Stir in the flour, remaining 1/2 tsp of salt & the pepper. Gradually stir in 2 cups of the reserved broth along with the cream & cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add the chicken & sherry to the sauce. Add the almonds.
    Place the noodles in a greased shallow baking dish. Top with the chicken mixture. Sprinkle w/bread crumbs & cheese. Brown under the broiler.~~300 Years of Carolina Cooking

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Ginger, I like the idea of the breads crumbs mixed with the cheese for the topping.

Teresa

• woodie
    14 years ago

I'll throw this recipe in just because :) I make it once a year, after Thanksgiving.

TURKEY TETRAZZINI WITH SPAGHETTI SQUASH

1- 3 1/2 pound spaghetti squash
    salt and pepper to taste
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    3 cups canned chicken broth or chicken stock
    1 bay leaf
    3 cups diced cooked turkey
    1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
    1 tablespoon Madeira or dry sherry
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    fresh lemon juice to taste
    freshly ground nutmeg to taste
    2 tablespoons buttered bread crumbs

Bake the spaghetti squash, pierced with a knife, on a baking sheet in a preheated 400* oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until tender and let cool. Halve the squash lengthwise, remove seeds and strings and scrape the flesh into a buttered 9 x 13 buttered baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.

In a saucepan, melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the broth, whisking vigorously until the mixture is smooth. Add the bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the turkey, cream and Madeira, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup of the Parmesan, lemon juice and nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Discard the bay leaf. Spoon the turkey mixture over the squash and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and buttered bread crumbs. Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
    Serves 4
    Best of Gourmet, 1990

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

Meant to mention - Teresa, I completely agree with you about the sherry too, if you have it.

Woodie, that's a little "healthy" for me with squash instead of pasta but you redeemed yourself with the cream. :)

• woodie
    14 years ago

Ginger, you can usually count on me for cream and/or garlic and/or wine in a recipe! This has no garlic, but I've got the other bases covered.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    14 years ago

This is one of my favorite casseroles and can be quite elegant. I always used sliced almonds and parm cheese as the topping on the casserole but next time I'm going to try Ginger's recipe. And the sherry adds a classic flavor I wouldn't want to omit that. I've always used spaghetti, broken in half for my noodles.

seagrass

• roselin32
    14 years ago

I like making Englsh Muffin bread and use that for breadcrumbs.........really makes the best crumbs!

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

This is the only one I use anymore. It is by Giada DeLaurentis and makes so much that I always cut it in half.

Chicken Tetrazzini

9 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    2 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    1 pound white mushrooms, sliced
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    4 cups whole milk, room temperature
    1 cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    12 ounces linguine
    3/4 cup frozen peas
    1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
    1 cup grated Parmesan
    1/4 cup dried Italian-style breadcrumbs
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Spread 1 tablespoon of butter over a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish. Melt 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil in a deep large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the hot pan and cook until pale golden and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool slightly. Coarsely shred the chicken into bite-size pieces and into a large bowl.

Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil to the same pan. Add the mushrooms and saute over medium-high heat until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and the mushrooms become pale golden, about 12 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme, and saute until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until it evaporates, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mushroom mixture to the bowl with the chicken.

Melt 3 more tablespoons butter in the same pan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, cream, broth, nutmeg, remaining 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Increase the heat to high. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 10 minutes.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the linguine and cook until it is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 9 minutes. Drain. Add the linguine, sauce, peas, and parsley to the chicken mixture. Toss until the sauce coats the pasta and the mixture is well blended.

Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish. Stir the cheese and breadcrumbs in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the pasta. Dot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown on top and the sauce bubbles, about 25 minutes.

• Kay
    14 years ago

I've made the Giada De Laurentis recipe a couple of times, and it's really good. I might try one of these other recipes soon, just for fun. The first time I made this dish, my son told me about this funny video:

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Tetrazzini

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Here's my version. Can be made with chicken, turkey or tuna.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Tuna Casserole (Tetrazzini)
    ===========================

Source: My Own

I am not a big fan of casseroles but I do like this one.Substitute leftover turkey or chicken for the tuna.

8 Tablespoons butter
    1/4 all purpose flour
    2 1/2 cups milk or mixture of milk and cream
    2 garlic cloves
    2 cans white tuna, well drained
    1 cup mushrooms sliced
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme
    8 ounces penne (or use pasta shape of your choice)
    1 1/2 to 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs saute in butter
    3 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
    . Put water on to boil and cook pasta. Do not overcook pasta as it will
    cook again in the oven.

Heat milk in microwave with whole garlic cloves.
    Make a roux with 4 tablespoons butter and 1/4 cup flour. Add milk or
    cream and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes and
    remove garlic cloves.

Saute mushrooms, onions and celery in butter or margarine until tender.
    Add the thyme.
    Stir this mixture into the cream sauce.

Add well drained pasta to sauce and stir in tuna. Leave tuna in fair
    size pieces.

Place in buttered casserole dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs to which
    you have added the parmesan cheese.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until crumbs are golden in a 350°F oven.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm