Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally_grower

LOOKING for: Mexican (Spanish) Rice.

sally_grower
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a recipe for the rice like you get in a Mexican restaurant that is just plain rice, kind of light orange in color. I'm trying to duplicate a recipe for Chicken Enchiladas in White Cream Sauce on top of Rice. My searches have turned up nothing, so I've come for help from the experts. Thanks for your help.

Sally

Comments (11)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You might like this one:
    ARROZ PILAF (serves 4-6)
    2 TBL peanut oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 medium onion, chopped fine
    1 cup uncooked rice
    2 small tomatoes, preferable Roma
    2 tsp chili powder
    2 cups unsalted beef or chicken stock
    3/4 tsp salt

In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Saute the garlic & onion over medium heat until softened. Add the rice, tomatoes & chili powder & saute another couple minutes, stirring to coat all the grains of rice w/oil. Pour in the stock, sprinkle in the salt & bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan & simmer the rice 15-18 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
    Remove the pan from the heat & let the rice steam, covered for 5-10 minutes. Serve immediately.~~TX Home Cooking

• bessiedawg
    15 years ago

This is one that I have used. I sometimes add some green pepper to it.

Baked Spanish Rice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees/

1/2 cup onion
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    8 oz. tomato sauce
    1 teas. sugar
    1/2 teas. salt
    2/3 cup rice
    1 cup water
    cheddar cheese

Sauté onions. Drain tomatoes into measuring cup and add enough water to liquid to make 1 cup. Add to onions. Add tomato sauce, sugar and salt. Bring to boil. Pour into casserole and add rice.

Bake covered for 35 minutes. Fluff with fork, add cheese and bake for 5 more minutes.

Linda

• lindac
    15 years ago

You can buy Vigo rice seasoning...
    But if you want to try it at home, Sautee about a Tablespoon of very finely chopped onion in 2 T of vegetable oil until translucent, add a cup fo rice, stir to coat, add 2 cups chicken broth and 1/4 tsp garlic powder and achiote...about 1 tsp of to suit your taste, and if I have some opened, I may add a couple of tablespoons of tomato sauce...or use a can of chicken broth and add tomato juice to make 2 cups.
    But it's the achiote that gives the yellow color and the distinctive taste.
    Linda C

• sally_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the in-put. I've copied and pasted all of these and will give them a try.
    Linda, I'm not familiar with achiote. Could you tell me where to buy it and what to look for...ie bottle, box, tin in the spice section? Sorry, I just have no clue what it is and I do want to get some. Thanks again
    Sally

• lindac
    15 years ago

Here ya go....

Here is a link that might be useful: Penzys

• annova914
    15 years ago

For anyone looking for a quick Mexican style rice - I recommend Goya's. Some of them have red pepper flakes in them (those I do not buy--too hot for me). I like the plain, yellow rice which I serve with non-tortilla fajitas along with my own fresh salsa, guacamole and sour cream, and lime wedges. The rice is yellow, light and quite flavorful (I nuke the leftovers and eat them plain...if there are any leftovers). Ann

• mangomoon
    15 years ago

This is one of the BEST I have ever tried.

Tex Mex Spanish Rice

2 cups of chicken broth
    1 cup of white long grain rice
    1 can HUNTS petite diced tomatoes with green chiles (or w/out)
    1/2 onion diced
    1/2 tsp (depending on your taste) of cumin
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    salt and pepper.

Heat oil in saucepan and brown rice in it. Move aside when browned and cook onion until transparent. Quickly add your chicken broth, one can of Hunts petite diced tomatoes, mix well, add your spices, mix again. Add salt and pepper. Bring to boil, simmer covered for about 15 minutes.

It is really good, even better the next day. Also very good used in burritos.

You can also use plain water but it doesn't give it as good a taste as using chicken broth.

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

I use Daisy Martinez recipe from her cook book "DAISY COOKS" its fantastic we've been addicted to it for several years...although theres a couple of steps before you can even get started its worth it...I always keep achiote oil in the pantry(that flavors and colors the rice) and fresh sofrito in individual portions in the freezer. Only thing i did was reduce the salt she cooks with I found it way too much. If you cant get the recipe ill pull out my book and post it...gauranteed it will become your favorite rice. i love it with Puerto Rican Pork Shoulder! YUM!!

• kaelkriver
    15 years ago

Southwestern Mexican Rice

1 medium chopped, green pepper (3/4 Â 1 cup)
    1 cup uncooked long grain rice
    1 medium chopped, onion (3/4 Â 1 cup)
    1-teaspoon ground cumin
    2 minced garlic cloves
    ½ teaspoon dried basil
    1 small minced jalapeño (more or less)
    ½ teaspoon marjoram
    1-2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 chopped fresh tomato
    1 can (14 ½ oz) chicken broth
    1 - 4 ounce can of chili peppers (mild)
    1 can (15 ounces) black beans

In large non stick skillet, sauté green pepper, onion, garlic and jalapeno in olive oil for 3 minutes. Stir in broth, rice and spices; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Add beans (drained or undrained) and tomatoes. Heat through and until liquid is absorbed.

*** Optional *** Instead of fresh tomatoes and canned chili peppers, could use 1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained. You could also add 1 Â 10 ounce package of frozen corn.

• tom_k_mo
    15 years ago

This is not a "plain" side-dish style Spanish Rice recipe, it's more of a main dish casserole, but it is an excellent recipe and I thought I'd share it. I originally found this on Tobasco's web site and modified it slightly.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spanish Rice Casserole

Recipe By :Tobasco Web Site
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Casseroles Favorites
    Mexican Rice
    Tex Mex Tomato

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 Pound Bacon -- Diced
    1 Large Green Bell Pepper -- Diced
    1 Medium Onion -- Chopped
    2 Cloves Garlic -- Crushed
    1 Lb Ground Beef
    1 Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
    6 ounces Tomato Paste -- 1 can
    2 Cups Long-Grain Rice
    4 Cups Water
    1 Tbsp TABASCO Sauce
    2 tsp Salt
    1 Tbsp Cumin
    2 tsp Chili Powder

1. In 12-inch skillet, over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; set aside.

2. In drippings remaining in skillet, over medium heat, cook green pepper, onion and garlic until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove to bowl.

3. In same skillet, over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until well browned on all sides, stirring frequently.

4. Add tomatoes with their liquid, rice, water, TABASCO brand Pepper Sauce, salt and green pepper mixture. Over high heat, heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.

5. To serve, sprinkle mixture with cooked bacon.

• sally_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone...I'll start at the top and work my way down all of the recipes. Copy & Pasting like crazy!!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz