Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: looking for: baked cheese puff on bread

Posted by prettyinpinkandgrey (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 20:04

My grandmother used to make this delicious appetizer that was a puff of cheese baked on to a 1.5 cm square of bread. This wasn't exactly a "cheese puff" because there was no flour in the cheese puff itself, it was just placed on a piece of bread. The cheese puff was very light and I remember it being white-light yellow in color. The bread underneath the puff became crisp as a result of being being baked.

I really appreciate any help you can offer. I'd love to pass this recipe down.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: looking for: baked cheese puff on bread

Does this one sound familiar? I think these were very popular for appetizers in the 50's or 60's?

CHEESE PUFFS
Printed from COOKS.COM

12 slices enriched white bread
4 tbsp. butter
1/4 lb. grated Cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, separated

Cut 2 inch rounds from bread and toast lightly on one side. Spread the untoasted side with butter. Mix cheese, baking powder, salt and beaten egg yolk; fold in stiffly beaten egg white. Spread mixture thickly over buttered sides of bread and place close together on a cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place cookie sheet close to broiler (the top rack in the oven should be at it's highest point) until puffed and light brown. Makes 12 puffs.

o
RE: RECIPE: looking for: baked cheese puff on bread

CHEESE BOXES (makes 48)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 lb sharp Cheddar, grated
1 unbeaten egg white
1 TBL milk
1/2 tsp salt
Tabasco to taste
1 loaf white braed, unsliced

Cream the cheese & butter until smooth. Add the unbeaten egg white, milk, salt & Tabasco. Chill until the mixture is spreadable. Preheat oven to 375.
Remove the crust from the bread; cut into 1" thick slices & cut each slice into 4 squares. Place the squares on a cookie sheet. Spread the top & sides of each square w/the cheese mixture. (Can be frozen at this point. Allow to cool to rrom temperature before baking, if freezing.
Bake 15 minutes or until golden braown.~~Uptown Down South

o
looking for: baked cheese puff on bread

YUMMY GARLIC PUFF BREAD

Best made at least 2 hours before, I do it previous day, cover with foil and refrigerate.

1 pint Hellman's Mayonaise

1 bunch green onions, totally chopped

1 cup grated sharp cheddar

3 cloves of garlic, crushed

Mix above stuff. Spread on thinly (about 1/4") sliced (by the bakery) french bread/baquette and place on cookie sheet. Sprinkle on 1 bunch of fresh, chopped parsley.

Just before you serve, remove foil, place in preheated 400 degree oven until puffed up (not brown), about 12 minutes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here