Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowajewel

RECIPE: looking for:cookie recipes with lots of fiber and taste

iowajewel
16 years ago

Just have one child in our house that could use the extra fiber.......and wondered about cookies.

If you have a recipe that would appeal to children,please share!

Thanks, Julie

Comments (6)

• khandi
    16 years ago

I posted a peanut butter cookie with fiber way back when. You will have to do a search to find it since I don't have it with me right now. We really enjoyed them!

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Check out Roselin's Toasted Oatmeal Cookies posted at the Dessert Exchange. You could probably add raisins (gag) to them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toasted Oatmeal Cookies

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I sub atleast 1 cup of KA's White Whole Wheat flour in my cookie recipes. Kids never even noticed...

• stacy3
    16 years ago

sol recently posted this one. They look great.

Apple Oatmeal Cookies  sol
    Regarding the following recipe, it yields cookies which are soft and somewhat delicate, due to the moisture content of the apple. So avoid stacking them, or they may stick.
    Btw, I often try to give credit where it's due, however, this is an old recipe I've had since High School . . . about 5 years . . . give or take :-Ã. So I have no idea where it originated.
    ¾ cup butter
    1¼ cup packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    ¼ cup whole milk
    1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopped
    1 cup AP flour
    1¼ teaspoon cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¾ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
    3 cups old fashioned oats
    Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, set aside. In mixer bowl, combine butter and sugar and beat until light and creamy, 3-5 minutes. Beat in vanilla extract, milk and egg. Add the flour mixture, oatmeal, chopped apple and walnuts. Mix just until combined. Drop by Tbsp. (I use an ice cream scoop) onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for about 15 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: there's a picture here.

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

This is a dessert rather than a cookie recipe but it's full of fruit and fiber. It's originally a low sugar diet recipe but you can use real sugar and butter in place of the substitutes that I used, although it's healthier in the original version. It's really good!

PLUM CRUMBLE

750 grams (1 1/3 lbs) plums, halved
    1 TBS sugar substitute
    1 TBS cornflour
    1/2 teasp ground ginger
    1/2 teasp ground cinnamon

TOPPING:

2/3 cup (75 grams) or (3 oz) jumbo porridge oats (not instant or quick cook oats)
    1/2 cup (60 grams) or (2.5 oz) wholemeal flour *
    8 TBS sugar substitute
    1/4 cup (30 grams) or (1 oz) chopped almonds or pecans
    4 1/2 TBS (60 grams) or (2.5 oz) soft margarine, non-hydrogenated**
    1 teasp grated orange zest
    1/2 teasp ground cinnamon
    1/4 teasp ground cardamom

1. Preheat the oven to 350F.

2. Put the plums in a bowl with the sugar substitute, cornflour, ginger and cinnamon, mix together and arrange evenly in a deep 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate

3. Topping: - Combine the oats, flour, sugar substitute, almonds, margarine, orange zest, cinnamon and cardamon in a bowl.
    Using your fingers, rub the ingredients together until the mixture forms a crumbly dough.

4. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the fruit mixture and bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until the topping is golden and the fruit mixture is bubbling.

Source: Adapted from Rick Gallop's GI Diet Green Light Cookbook

My Comments:
    *whole wheat flour including the bran.
    ** although I never otherwise use margarine, I understand that some of the modern light and non-hydrogenated margarines are ok on this diet and better for you than butter.
    I am using wholegrain spelt flour at the moment for baking  it contains the bran.

This was another surprisingly delicious, easy dessert! I used 6 large, dark purple plums, each one about the size of a small egg. When halved they sat cut side upwards in rows in a casserole dish. I used Becel margarine, thinking it was a good diet choice but afterwards noticed  printed in German in very small letters - that it was not recommended for use in baking. Oh well IÂll just find another brand for next time.

of a no-fat no-sugar fruit yoghurt over top.

SharonCb

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

Here's one that was given to me many years ago that has plenty of fiber in it. Only name I know as is

"High Fiber, but tastes so good Cookies"

Makes 6 dozen cookies.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Bake 8-11 minutes or till golden.

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup unsalted margarine
    2 eggs
    2 cups flour
    2 cups old fashioned quaker oatmeal
    1 cup unsweatened coconut
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 - 1 cup chopped nuts of your choice
    1 large bag chocolate chips
    cooking spray for cookie pans

Cream sugars, margarine. Add eggs and mix well. Add flour, baking poweder and baking soda. Mix well. Stir in oatmeal, chips, coconut and nuts. Dough will be thick.
    Spray cookie sheets with cooking spray. Drop by tablespoon on to cookie sheet.

bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 8-11 minutes or until cookies are golden. Cool about 30 seconds and then remove cookies to rack to cool.

My kids loved them while growing up, now make them in their own homes.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths