Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_2007

RECIPE: looking for: recipes using ketchup!

loralee_2007
16 years ago

LOL

Don't ask me how this happened, but I currently have 5 brand new oversized bottles of ketchup in my fridge! There's only DH & I, and we only use ketchup for things like french fries which is maybe twice a year.

Not wanting to toss them out, I'm hoping you can give me some recipes so I can get some room back in my fridge!!

Comments (18)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Off the top of my head I can only think of cocktail sauce for boiled shrimp using ketchup, grated horseradish & some fresh lemon juice.
    I'll be back if I find some more.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Meatloaf! Also baked beans which I'm not fond of but was asked to bring to a BBQ & made this one to good reviews:
    BAKED BEANS (serves 8-10)
    2 lbs cooked navy beans or other white beans
    1 1/2 cups tomato juice
    1 cup chopped pecqans, toasted
    3/4 cup dark brown sugar
    3/4 cup strong black coffee
    1/2 medium red onion, chopped
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup bourbon
    4 slices bacon, chopped
    1 carrot, grated fine (I omitted)
    2 TBL unsulphured dark molasses
    2 TBL dry mustard

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour into a baking dish. Bake the beans uncovered about 1 1/2 hours or until they have thickened & cooked down with a skin just beginning to form on the top of the beans. (These reheat well & will keep several days.) Texas Home Cooking

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

This freezes OK so you can make a double batch and freeze half.

SLOPPY JOES

1 lb. lean ground beef
    2 medium or 1 large onion, finely minced
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup water
    1 Tbs. sugar
    1 Tbs. cider vinegar
    1 Tbs. prepared mustard
    1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce

Brown ground beef and onion together, breaking up beef into smaller pieces. Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients together. When beef is no longer pink, drain off any excess fat. Add ketchup mixture and stir. Cook, uncovered, over low heat until sauce is reduced and onion is soft.

Notes: 1 Tbs. sweet pickle relish can be added at the end or some finely minced red or green pepper added along with the onion. Salt & pepper is usually not needed.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

How about making up several batches of BBQ sauce and then freezing it.

Here is a recipe that was posted some time ago and is very good. It is a bit elaborate, you could modify it to your liking. I'm sure there are lots of versions on the WEB.

Dianasours Mutha Sauce

¼ Cup vegetable oil
    1 Cup minced onion
    ½ Cup minced green pepper
    1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
    Pinch each of salt and black pepper
    2 Tbl minced garlic
    1 Can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
    2 Cup ketchup (preferably Heinz)
    1 Cup water
    ¾ Cup Worcestershire sauce
    ½ Cup cider vinegar
    ¼ Cup lemon juice
    ¼ Cup molasses
    ¼ Cup cayenne pepper sauce
    ¼ Cup spicy brown mustard
    ¾ Cup dark brown sugar packed
    1 Tbl chili powder
    2 Tsp coarsely ground black pepper
    ¼ Tsp ground allspice
    1 Tbl Liquid Smoke (optional)

Pour the oil into a large saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Toss in the onions, green peppers and jalapeno and give them a stir. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft and golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Dump in everything else except the Liquid Smoke. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the sauce simmers. Simmer for 10 minutes. Swirl in the Liquid Smoke and let the sauce cool. Pour it into a container, cover and store in the fridge until ready to use. (makes 6 to 7 cups)

Here is another one that is a knock off from a very popular rib joint in Windsor Ontario...I love this sauce. It freezes well too.

TBQ Sauce (Ann) Tunnel BBQ

1/2 Cup Ketcup
    1/4 Cup prepared mustard
    1/2 Cup vinegar white
    1 1/2 Tsp salt
    1 1/2 Tsp garlic powder
    1 Tsp black pepper
    1 Tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 Tsp chile powder
    1/8 Cup white sugar.
    Place all ingredients in a blender and mix. Store unrefrigerated. Seems to last forever.

Note Chile powder, sugar and mustard all reduced by half from original recipe.

• Bev Cashen
    16 years ago

Have a big party and serve pork chops LOL

JIMMY STEWARTS FAVORITE PORK CHOPS (don't know if this is true),but I do know they are so easy to prepare, and they are really good!

Pork Chops (any amount you want)

Ketchup

Brown sugar

Lemon slices

Onion slices

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    In casserole or pan, place pork chops.
    Top each with 1 tablespoon ketchup,
    1 tablespoon brown sugar,
    1 slice onion,
    1 thin slice lemon. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on thickness of the pork chops, and how well you like them.

DELISH!

• woodie
    16 years ago

Since they're brand new can you give them to a food basket through your church or some other organization? That's a heck of a lot of ketchup - it would last a lifetime in this house, LOL.

Crock Pot Lemon Chicken
    Posted by: san_ (My Page) on Mon, Jul 26, 04 at 17:27

3# chicken pieces, dredged in seasoned flour (we like chicken thighs and I add a pinch of 5-spice powder to the flour, along with a little salt & pepper)
    brown the chicken in a skillet (I usually skip that)
    mix together in a crock pot:

6 oz can of lemonade
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    3 T brown sugar
    3 T catsup
    add the chicken and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours

MEAT AND POTATOES
    Easy meatloaf and potatoes in one dish

4 cups thinly sliced peeled raw potatoes,
    1/4 cup chopped onion,
    Salt and Pepper to taste

1 lb. ground beef,
    5 oz. can evaporated milk,
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs,
    1/4 cup chili sauce (or catsup),
    1/4 cup chopped onion,
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce,
    Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Mix potato slices, salt and pepper to taste and 1/4 cup chopped onion together and place in greased 2 quart square baking dish.
    2. Mix remaining ingredients together and spread over potatoes.
    3. Decorate top with more chili sauce or catsup (if desired).
    4. Bake at 350* for 1 hour.

Ginger St. Thomas
    Forgot about this one. It's practically fool-proof:
    BBQ CHICKEN
    1 frying-size chicken, quartered
    1 onion, sliced
    Sauce:
    3/4 cup catsup
    4 TBL Worcestershire sauce
    2 tsp prepared mustard
    3/4 cup vinegar
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 cup water
    1 TBL sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    Tabasco
    combine ingredients for sauce, pour over chicken & cook in a preheated 350° oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until done. Baste frequently.~~Queen Anne's Table

BEEF BRISKET FROM SARA MOULTON

1 Beef Brisket, any size
    Salt & Pepper
    2 onions, thinly sliced
    Minced garlic
    Mix together:
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup chili sauce
    3 TBL brown sugar
    1 bottle beer

Lay meat in oven going baking dish. Salt & pepper it, spread garlic over top, spread onions over the garlic. Pour sauce over the meat. Cover tightly with foil and roast at 300* for 3 hours if small 1/2 brisket or 4 hours if large, whole brisket. Uncover, let meat rest, and pour gravy into a saucepan. Puree with handheld blender, or pour carefully into blender and puree. Slice meat across grain and serve with gravy. (The gravy comes out nice and thick.)

DEBBIE 814'S HARLEY HOG SANDWICHES
    This is the best sandwich I have ever had. My guests go crazy for it. I usually cook the pork butt in the oven, and it comes out just as good. Enjoy!! Debbie

6 to 8 lb. boneless pork butt, tied

Rub
    1 cup Kosher salt
    1 cup course ground black pepper
    1 cup paprika (sweet Hungarian is best)
    2 cups hickory wood chips
    1 cup apple wood chips

Hog Sauce
    2 large onions, chopped
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    5 1/4 cups (42 ounces) canned tomatoes, with juice
    3 cups cider vinegar
    1 3/4 cups ketchup
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
    1/4 cup brown mustard
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon coarse black pepper

12 large round rolls

1. Combine all of the rub ingredients. Coat the pork butt evenly with mixture, shaking off any excess.
    2. Soak wood chips in water 30 minutes. Place pork butt in a smoker on rack at 220 degrees for 8 hours, with smoke going for 2 hours. Let it cool slightly. Break the meat apart with your hands.
    3. Sauté' onions in oil in heavy saucepan until translucent. Add the remaining ingredients and cook until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Puree the sauce and let it cool. (Sauce can be made 2 to 3 days in advance and refrigerated.)
    4. Combine the pork and the sauce (to taste) in a heavy saucepan. Cook until it is heated through.
    5. To serve: Pile the pork on the rolls. Serve with french fries and cole slaw if desired. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)
    Yields 12 servings.

Todd's Tidbits

You can also smoke your pork in a charcoal barbecue, such as a round Weber Grill. Just arrange the charcoal around the edge of the inside of the grill. When the coals are hot, place the soaked wood chips on them, and then place the pork on the center of the rack above the coals. Cover. Cook the meat for 2-4 hours or until the internal temperature comes to 150°-165°.

• lindac
    16 years ago

If the bottles are brand new, why are you keeping them in the refrigerator instead of on the shelf?
    I would keep one and a spare, give the rest to the food pantry and make a batch of BBQ sauce and grill some ribs.
    Linda C

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Quick and easy BBQ sauce

Equal amounts of ketchup and cola
    Try it, you might like it!

I've used it on ribs, chicken, pork chops, and baked bbq chicken!

• roselin32
    16 years ago

I was thinking of this thread when I was making a salad for dinner tonight......seems to me back before there was the tremendous selection of "store bought" dressings that are out there.......when I was a kid learning to cook, we used to make our own version of 1000 Island dressing with equal amounts of mayo and ketchup + some sweet pickle relish. And we would put it over a wedge of iceberg lettuce. Didn't have mesclun or arugula back then. LOL. Anyone else remember that??
    RL`

• woodie
    16 years ago

RL, I still do that for Ken - he likes it with cold boiled shrimp instead of the horseradish cocktail sauce and I like it on a turkey sandwich!

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Just saw Tyler do this Meatloaf on TV. The relish uses a whole bottle of ketchup!!!

• annova
    16 years ago

Hand Cut French Fries with Spicy Ketchup

Use direct/medium heat on grill
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/2 tsp chile sauce
    1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
    2 russet potatoes, about 8 oz each
    1 T olive oil
    1 T minced garlic
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

In a small bowl mix together the ketchup, chile sauce and balsamic vinegar. Set aside

Scrub the potatoes under cold running water and dry thoroughly but do not peel. cut lengthwise into 1/2" thick slices, then cut the slices into 1/4" thick wedges. Place the wedges in a medium bowl. Toss with the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.

Place the wedges on the grill, being careful not to let them drop through the openings. Cook directly over medium heat until golden brown, turning once, about 10 minutes. For extra crispy fries, open the grill and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, turning once.

Serve warm with the ketchup. Makes 4 servings.
    source:Weber's The Art of the Grill

My note: I tried this with one large baking potato. Sliced maybe 1/4-1/8" thick slices. Rolled them in light olive oil,garlic powder and salt & pepper. Grilled until browned. My ketchup mixture was about 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup chile sauce and I drizzled a bit of balsamic vinegar. Very good!

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Being from the northeast, Woodie, do you remember the red hamburger relish they used to sell up there? Maybe they still do......we are going back in Oct. and I will look for it then but I did find a recipe for it on line a while back.

• woodie
    16 years ago

RL, I do not remember any red relish. I'll look for it, but I don't believe I've ever noticed red relish. I'm leaving for the lake tomorrow morning - maybe I'l find some up in the north country.

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

I remember red relish, yellowish relish, too. and the green. I never cared for relish but we always had it in the house for my dad. He loved it! Here's a link, Roselin.

You can use all ketchup in this brisket recipe. It's a big favorite at our house!
    BRISKET
    1 4-pound beef brisket
    Kosher salt
    Pepper
    2 onions, thinly sliced into half moons
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup prepared chile sauce (Heinz Chile Sauce)
    3 tablespoons brown sugar (I use more)
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    1 12-ounce bottle beer

Salt and pepper both sides of the meat. Place beef in a roasting pan. Cover with onion. Combine ketchup, chile sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and beer. Pour mixture over meat. Cover securely with foil. Bake at 300 degrees F for about 4 hours or until the brisket is fork tender. You can puree the gravy if you like it thicker.

NOTES : Use more onions if you want to. I like lots of onions in the gravy. I don't puree the gravy. Freezes well. It tastes even better the next day!

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link.......for some reason, I think that Heinz used to make it too and it was just called "Hamburger Relish". If I don't find any on our trip, will order some of this and see if it is the same.
    RL`

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

Quick Curry. Use any kind of meat and brown it in a little oil and add curry power, chopped onions and maybe a little garlic. Mix a bottle of K with equal amount of water and cook down. Great curry over rice
    1eyedJack and the Dawg

• agnesd
    15 years ago

Thought I'd bump this up since I made:

Sara Moultons never fail brisket last night. It's really worth a try.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!