Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangomoon_gw

looking for: a good philly cheese steak sandwich

mangomoon
15 years ago

Looking for a good Philly cheese steak sandwich recipe.

Comments (20)

• angelaid
    15 years ago

I'll be watching this too. Spin off - has any used those Steak 'ums (sp)? Are they any good?

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

I tried Steakums once & didn't like it. A delly here made a really good one with a roast sirloin that was shaved & then the cheese melted on top with sauteed onions & peppers. Some cheese steaks use Cheese Whiz but I like them with melted provolone.

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

I've not found a good Philly Steak Sandwich here. The ones I've had have had tough beef on this. I tried Steakums and didn't care for them either.

Beverly

• lindac
    15 years ago

you want to make one or buy one?
    I can tell you how to make one but the only place I know to buy one in at Reading station.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Linda,

"Looking for a good Philly cheese steak sandwich recipe."

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

Must use cheese whiz...and optional sauted onion and peppers (I use cubanelle peppers). The meat must be paper thin cooked on a griddle with a big spatula where you chop the meat with the side of the spatula and then incorporate the pepper onion mixture and S&P. Hope this helps....Steakum is a option but not a good one

• lisbet
    15 years ago

We make the Cheese Steak Sandwich every once-in-a-while. I just love them!!! We have an independent, small Italian grocery store that we patronize. Tell the butcher that you want to make steak sandwiches and he will know exactly the right cut of meat (eye of the round), and knows exactly how to cut the meat (almost paper thin). Our butcher keeps the meat in his feeezer. In that way the slices are really thin, and easy to eat! Cook on a large cast iron pan or griddle....very fast....with some butter + olive oil and just on and then off!! Have ready and waiting some carmelized onions. Strips of green bell pepper cooked to slightly soft but still a bit of a crunch. We use Cooper's Sharp for the cheese.

Put all this on an Italian bread bun (the elongated style). Have buns ready and waiting.....split in half and cut side down, toasted right on the griddle where you are cooking the meat.

A Good Recipe:

http://philadelphia.about.com/cs/cheesesteaks/ht/makecheesesteak.htm

• obxgina
    15 years ago

Mangomoon, growing up outside Philly and moving to an area of NC that has really poor food, I can tell you that their are 3 components to a really good cheese steak:
    First the meat, shaved beef preferably sirloin or eye round tastes the best. Our local Food Lion started carrying a premium, shaved beef in their meat case that has an excellent taste. Cooked in a hot cast iron skillet or grill top seasoned with s&p and a little oregano.
    The next and maybe more important is the roll. A good hard on the outside soft on the inside italian type hoagie roll is best.
    Next, the cheese. I think this is a personal taste. I never like cheeze wiz, too salty and fake imho. I prefer a good provolone melted or maybe mozzerella or cheddar.
    Sometimes I like adding lettuce, tomato and onion! Enjoy! Gina

• work_in_progress_08
    15 years ago

Shaved ribeye makes the best cheese steak. I like mine with provolone on a good crusty roll. However, a true "Philly Cheese Steak" is made with cheese whiz.

The places competing in Philly are Geno's and Pat's. (Pat's fan here)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Begging your pardon but Philly Cheese steaks were made with provolone long before Kraft marketed that flourescent orange goo...And Pat's....definitly Pats...Geno's is for tourists....which of course I am but try not to look like it!
    And it's all about the roll!!
    Linda C

• obxgina
    15 years ago

Amen Linda C!!!Thank you!

• benflower
    15 years ago

Gina-- We are close to a FoodLion-- was the meat you mentioned in the meat case at the deli-- as in sandwich meats? I love a good cheesesteak, but have never been able to recreate one. Do you just order it shaved? Thanks

• obxgina
    15 years ago

Benflower, the shaved beef is in the fresh meat case where they have their cut steaks, not in the deli dept. I don't have the name of the brand handy, but I'll get it for you. Hope this helps. Gina

• obxgina
    15 years ago

Benflower, the brand from Food Lion is Lebroux Shaved Beef. If your FL doesn't carry it ask the manager if it something they could get, they are usually good about doing that for their customers. Gina

• sheys-garden
    15 years ago

YES YES YES I too have discovered the Lebroux shaved beef,and it is the closest we will get in NC.Most of the grocery stores I deal with say they cannot cut their meat that thin-YEAH RIGHT.Anyway no cheese whiz,its gotta be provolone with fresh roasted red peppers and onions.Oh Boy

• carla35
    15 years ago

Steak-Umms -- do they still make those? Aren't those like the tv dinner version of cheesesteak sandwiches? I'm getting a strange feeling in my stomach just thinking about them.

Anyway, wikipedia has some interesting info. on philly cheesesteak sandwiches and maybe you'll get some ideas/suggestions from there on how to make your perfect sandwich. I think a lot of preferences are regional and what you get used to. I would take note not to forget about the bread; it may be more important than you think. Check the "cheesecakes elsewhere" section near the end for some extra tips.

And one other note, if you decide to slice the meat yourself, it may be easy to slice it thinner if the meat is colder/frozen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Philly Cheesesteak

• lisbet
    15 years ago

To my surprise, there is a recipe for homemade "Cheez Whiz"! Has anyone ever tried this?

http://www.onlinerecipesbook.com/20147-recipe-cheez-whiz.html

• benflower
    15 years ago

Gina
    Thanks so much for the Food Lion brand name for the meat. I have been out of town and haven't had a chance to see if they have it-- but will definitely check it out!! Thanks a bunch-- Any ideas for the crusty outside, soft inside buns?

• obxgina
    15 years ago

Good rolls are impossible to find here in NC. I get the french loaf that FL carries in their bakery, the one that you bake at home. This is the closest thing I have found that works well. Gina

• benflower
    15 years ago

Thanks Gina. I'll try it

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz