snyder_gw

LOOKING for: maple candy

snyder
16 years ago

I do a bake sale and was wondering if any one has a good recipe for maple candy

Comments (3)

• khandi
    16 years ago

Here's a recipe I saved from the internet awhile back. I've never made it before. Are you looking for a hard candy or a pulled taffy candy?

Homemade Maple Magic Candy - recipe

Adapted from Witch in the Kitchen by Cait Johnson (Inner Traditions, 2001).

Simple Solution

Here in the American Northeast, the maple sap has started flowing, bringing the trees back to life. Native Americans introduced maple syrup to the early settlers; it is a uniquely American taste of Spring. And it is a treat we can feel good about. Tapping the trees doesn't hurt them, and maple syrup is a bit more nutritious for us than refined white sugar. For one thing, it has twice the calcium of milk!

The process of making this traditional candy is simple and fascinating, and the result is sheer delight, mineral-rich, creamy and sweet, like eating concentrated tree energy. Participate in the magic of spring!

INGREDIENTS

2 cups real maple syrup

1. Using a candy thermometer, in a sturdy saucepan with high sides, bring the maple syrup to a boil.

2. Turn the heat to very low and allow the syrup to continue boiling without stirring until the thermometer reads 233F. Be careful that the syrup doesnÂt boil over - once maple syrup finally decides to boil, it really boils. The boiling action is mesmerizing; the syrupÂs dark earthy color in such constant motion reminds us that the earth itself is constantly moving and changing, even when it appears to remain the same.

3. When the reduced syrup has reached 233F, remove it from the heat and allow to cool, still without stirring it, until the thermometer reads 110F.

4. Now itÂs time to beat the reduced syrup with a wooden spoon. Beat vigorously for several minutes. (It can help to sing when you do this.) You are making a transformation take place: As you beat, the syrup gradually turns a pale caramel color and it becomes stiff enough to hold a shape.

5. Place in candy molds or form into patties on a plate or baking sheet and allow to cool completely. Then unmold and enjoy.

Makes about 1 pound of candy.

• iris_gal
    16 years ago

I think this is the recipe I used last year.

With a heavy Calphalon pot and no stirring, mine burned before reaching 233 degrees. Forgotten what happened to the 2nd and 3rd batch --- I gave up.

If anyone has sucess with this recipe, please post. Maybe I wasn't boiling it hard enuf?? I've never had trouble with candies before.

This Christmas I am going to try the following:

RE: RECIPE: looking for fudge recipe
    * Posted by: AptosCA (My Page) on Thu, Dec 15, 05 at 11:37
    Here is my my father's recipe for Maple Fudge. This recipe is older then me and I'm 54. He grew up in New Hampshire and Vermont, maple syrup country. I have been making it now for 28 years. It is a Christmas favorite.
    Clare

Maple Fudge
    1 cup maple syrup
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup cream
    1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup walnuts (black walnuts are great with the maple flavor)
    1/2 tsp. vanilla

Boil syrup, sugar, butter, and cream to the soft ball stage. Remove from heat. Add nuts and vanilla.
    Beat until ready to pour into a buttered pan. Cool. Cut, Eat and Enjoy!

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

The first recipe is from someone that sells maple syrup and they want you to fail and buy more syrup. Them Da n Yankees are at it again.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!