o
LOOKING for: maple candy

Posted by snyder (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 07 at 15:37

I do a bake sale and was wondering if any one has a good recipe for maple candy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: maple candy

Here's a recipe I saved from the internet awhile back. I've never made it before. Are you looking for a hard candy or a pulled taffy candy?

Homemade Maple Magic Candy - recipe

Adapted from Witch in the Kitchen by Cait Johnson (Inner Traditions, 2001).

Simple Solution

Here in the American Northeast, the maple sap has started flowing, bringing the trees back to life. Native Americans introduced maple syrup to the early settlers; it is a uniquely American taste of Spring. And it is a treat we can feel good about. Tapping the trees doesn't hurt them, and maple syrup is a bit more nutritious for us than refined white sugar. For one thing, it has twice the calcium of milk!

The process of making this traditional candy is simple and fascinating, and the result is sheer delight, mineral-rich, creamy and sweet, like eating concentrated tree energy. Participate in the magic of spring!

INGREDIENTS

2 cups real maple syrup

1. Using a candy thermometer, in a sturdy saucepan with high sides, bring the maple syrup to a boil.

2. Turn the heat to very low and allow the syrup to continue boiling without stirring until the thermometer reads 233F. Be careful that the syrup doesnt boil over - once maple syrup finally decides to boil, it really boils. The boiling action is mesmerizing; the syrups dark earthy color in such constant motion reminds us that the earth itself is constantly moving and changing, even when it appears to remain the same.

3. When the reduced syrup has reached 233F, remove it from the heat and allow to cool, still without stirring it, until the thermometer reads 110F.

4. Now its time to beat the reduced syrup with a wooden spoon. Beat vigorously for several minutes. (It can help to sing when you do this.) You are making a transformation take place: As you beat, the syrup gradually turns a pale caramel color and it becomes stiff enough to hold a shape.

5. Place in candy molds or form into patties on a plate or baking sheet and allow to cool completely. Then unmold and enjoy.

Makes about 1 pound of candy.

o

I think this is the recipe I used last year.

With a heavy Calphalon pot and no stirring, mine burned before reaching 233 degrees. Forgotten what happened to the 2nd and 3rd batch --- I gave up.

If anyone has sucess with this recipe, please post. Maybe I wasn't boiling it hard enuf?? I've never had trouble with candies before.

This Christmas I am going to try the following:

RE: RECIPE: looking for fudge recipe
* Posted by: AptosCA (My Page) on Thu, Dec 15, 05 at 11:37
Here is my my father's recipe for Maple Fudge. This recipe is older then me and I'm 54. He grew up in New Hampshire and Vermont, maple syrup country. I have been making it now for 28 years. It is a Christmas favorite.
Clare

Maple Fudge
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup walnuts (black walnuts are great with the maple flavor)
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Boil syrup, sugar, butter, and cream to the soft ball stage. Remove from heat. Add nuts and vanilla.
Beat until ready to pour into a buttered pan. Cool. Cut, Eat and Enjoy!

o

The first recipe is from someone that sells maple syrup and they want you to fail and buy more syrup. Them Da n Yankees are at it again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here