Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Neighbor Home From Hospital Recipes

Posted by trudymom (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 07 at 15:36

What is your favorite recipe to make for a friend/neighbor coming home from hospital. No dietary restrictions. There are 7 in the family. Thank you for your suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Neighbor Home From Hospital Recipes

I think I recently posted this recipe. Anyhow, it's easy to make and transport. It's also easy for the family to bake or reheat. I'd pack a large bowl of salad greens along with a jar of vinaigrette or Italian dressing and a can of cranberry sauce. Brownies would make a nice dessert.

Chicken Casserole w/ Crunchy Top

Make Topping First:

Two boxes of Stove Top stuffing (herbal or chicken)
1 tablespoon of minced celery leaves
1 tablespoon of minced parsley
butter (as called for in directions)

Follow directions for making the stuffing. Just before pouring the stuffing mix into the boiling water, add the butter, minced celery leaves and minced parsley. Let stuffing cool. (If making a day ahead, place cooked stuffing in storage container and refrigerate).

Casserole:

3 lg chicken breasts, poached, cut into pieces
3 celery stalks, sliced
1 mild white onion, chopped
2 cans cream of celery soup (can use fatfree)
1 soupcan filled with milk (can use 2%)
1 cup of mayonnaise
Dash of garlic powder
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Dash of hot sauce (optional)
Dash of paprika
salt & pepper to taste

In a 9 x 13" casserole dish place chicken pieces, celery slices and chopped onion.

In large bowl blend soup, milk, mayonnaise. Add garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce (if desired), paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over chicken mixture in casserole dish.

Cover chicken mixture completely with stuffing mix and sprinkle paprika over the stuffing. Bake uncovered at 350 for one hour.

(by completely covering the chicken mixture with stuffing, it doesn't dry out as the topping gets crunchy)

o

STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS (serves 4)
2 large green peppers
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/4 cup uncooked instant rice
8 oz can tomato sauce, divided
2 TBL chopped onion
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBL grated Parmesan
1/2 tsp Worcestershire
Dash of pepper
Cut peppers in 1/2 lengthwise & remove seeds. Combine meat, rice, 1/4 cup tomato sauce & remaining ingredients. Stuff peppers with mix & place in a greased baking dish. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over stuffed peppers & then sprinkle w/additional Parmesan. Cover & bake in a preheated 350 oven for 50-60 minutes.~~ You can mix mozzarella or cheddar into the meat mixture as well. From By Special Request

FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES (serves 8 )
2 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 whole peppercorns
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tsp garlic powder (had none so used 1 minced garlic clove)
3 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
8 French or sourdough rolls, split

Combine water, soy sauce, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme & garlic in a slow cooker, stirring until well blended. Place roast in cooker & cover.
Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender. Remove meat from broth & shred with a fork. Serve beef on rolls. Pour broth in small bowls for dipping.~~ Good topped with Swiss cheese or sauteed onions, peppers or both. I like mustard on the rolls, too.~~

ITALIAN BEEF
One 3-4 lb roast beef (rump roast or sirloin tip)
1 jar pepperochini peppers, juice & all
1 can beer
1 can beef bouillon
Combine all ingredients in a large crockpot. Cook on high 30 minutes; reduce heat to low. Cook until beef is tender. For supper, start cooking before work. If you want it for lunch cook at bedtime.)
Remove meat from juices, slice thinly & return to pot. Serve on hoagie buns & dip sandwiches in juice.~~

PORCUPINE MEATBALLS

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup raw rice
1 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can tomato soup
3/4 cup water

Mix first 6 ingredients together. Drop by tablespoons in a 9 x 13 pan. Set aside. Combine soup and water. Pour sauce over the meatballs. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Bake in 350 degree oven for one hour.~~

TRIPLE CHEESE MACARONI (serves 8 )
2 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
Salt to taste
6 oz sharp Cheddar, shredded
6 oz Monterey Jack, shredded
5 TBL + 1 tsp butter, softened
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
2 TBL + 2 tsp butter
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 TBL melted butter
1/2 tsp paprika
Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water per pkg directions; drain.
Combine the macaroni, 1/2 of the Cheddar, 1/2 of the Monterey Jack & 5 TBL + 1 tsp butter & mix well. Spoon into a buttered shallow 3 qt baking dish.
Beat the cream cheese in a mixer bowl while gradually adding the evaporated milk. Beat until blended. Spoon over the macaroni mixture. Sprinkle w/the remaining Cheddar & Monterey Jack. Dot with 2 TBL + 2 tsp butter.
Bake in a preheated 425 oven for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Combine the crumbs, 1 TBL butter & paprika in a bowl & mix well. Sprinkle over the baked layer. Bake 10 minutes longer. NOTE: If prepared in advance, do not add the cream cheese mixture until just before baking.~~

o

Ginger,

Thank you for re-posting some of my family's favorites of your recipes! Actually, the French Dip Sandwich recipe was featured in a new local Junior League Cookbook here in Spokane recently. I will suggest some ideas for trudymom in a separate post.

o

Oh they all look so yummy!! Thank you!!

o

I like to take a tray with a variety of sliced meats (natural turkey breast, roast beef and honey ham) and a variety of sliced cheeses. An assortment of pickles and condiments is nice to add. Supply a basket of breads and rolls (sourdough, wheat, rye etc) Make a salad that keeps well to go with (tabbouleh, black bean, or potato for example) That way the goodies will go for several meals (either lunch or dinner) A favorite batch of cookies is always appreciated.

Also, for breakfast, I like to fill a basket with a variety of bagels and flavored cream cheeses. Add a stick of butter and a variety of jams and jellys. A fruit plate or jug of fresh squeezed orange juice would be nice.

Another thing I have done often is bake a big spiral ham - glazed with brown sugar, garlic, dijon mustard and mango chutney. Offer a variety of mustards and rolls for making samdwiches. A big ham goes a long ways!!

o

Gigi, I can't even remember which cookbook I got that from originally but I've made it for a long time. Glad it's in a new cookbook, especially a Jr. League one (I probably got it from a different Jr. League book.) I've always found they have the best recipes & the money goes to good causes.

o

I had just such a reason for cooking up a storm 2 weeks ago and I made the following:

Tray of lasagna
Sauce with meatballs, sausage, and pork hunks
Cooked pasta that I kept separate from the sauce.
Container of fresh grated Romano cheese
Chicken Pot Pie

I printed up heating/storage/freezing instructions for each and packaged the sauce in several container to make it easier for them to freeze what they didn't eat.

All of these hold well in the fridge and freeze well too.

Sue

o

Here is a great side dish that everyone will love and it's quick. This is my favorite Macaroni & Cheese recipe.

1 16 oz. package of casserole elbows or spirals, shells, etc.
2 cups half & half cream.
1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1/2 cup butter, melted
4 cups (16 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese.

Cook and drain pasta. In large pot combine cream, soup and butter until smooth. Stir in cheese and pasta. Cook on low until cheese is melted, which is not long. Serves 12. I put it all in my crock pot and keep it on warm all day. Good for lunch or a side dish.

Spagetti with Eggs and Cheese

6 slices bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
16 oz. thin spaghetti
3 eggs, beaten
l cup grated parmesan cheese, separate into 1/2 cups
ground pepper

Fry bacon over medium heat until almost crisp. Cook pasta as directed and drain. Do not rinse. Return to pan. Immediately add bacon and drippings, eggs and 1/2 cup parm. Toss over low heat until egg coats pasta and appears cooked. Serve with remaining cheese. Sprinkle with pepper.
p.s. My hubby is Italian and loves it!

o

How about a nice pot of soup. My family's favorite is split pea. I only have one I put together without a recipe:

soak 1 bag split peas overnite - drain and rinse in morning

1 large onion chopped 1" pieces
2 carrots peeled and chopped 1" pieces
2 cloves garlic chopped (optional)
3 ribs celery chopped 1" pieces

All amounts are approximate. The only thing I wouldn't go overboard on are the carrots (if you use too many, the soup looks orange rather than green).

Saute above veggies in 3 T. olive oil in the pot you will assemble and cook the soup. I saute them on medium high heat for about 10 mins allowing them to soften and get a bit of carmelization for extra flavor.

Add 2 32 oz. containers of chicken stock - water if your friends are vegetarian. If I am short on stock, I use 1/2 stock, 1/2 water. It is a very forgiving recipe and very tasty. Add drained beans and 3 dried bay leaves.

Bring all ingredients to full boil, give a stir, reducing heat to a slow boil. Cook soup approximately 2 hours covered. Beans are funny. Sometimes they cook quickly, sometimes not so fast. Just keep cooking until the beans fall apart. You can add more water or stock if you need to cook longer. Do not add your salt until the beans are cooked.

Once the beans "melt", season the soup with salt and fresh ground pepper. I then put batches through my blender to puree. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE BAY LEAVES BEFORE PROCESSING:)). Also, if you are doing the blending while the soup is hot, be careful not to fill the blender too full. Leave the center out of the top of the blender and cover with a towel before turning on the blender. I have learned the hard way what hot soup and a tight lid produce.

This is a really nice meal, healthy and full of protein. You could pick up a fresh loaf of crusty bread or some fresh baked croissants. A fresh green salad is nice if you are so inclined. I am not sure what your friend is recovering from.

This soup could be served for lunch as well as dinner. Also, this soup can be frozen in batches for up to 6 months.

I hope your friend is feeling better soon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here