Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Better Homes and Garden Bread book recipe

Posted by talat (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 07 at 15:25

This recipe is for a cake/bread that has cream cheese and I think sour cream in it. It is a sweet yeast bread that is rolled out, put in a tube pan, and filled with the cream cheese mixture, rises, then baked. THE BEST I have ever had of a coffee cake/dessert. It was in one of those BHG slim books used as give-aways at supermarkets (you buy $30 in groceries, you get a book for .99). I have looked everywhere, forums, etc. for this and can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Better Homes and Garden Bread book recipe

Talat, I think I have the cookbook. BH&G era 1973. Receipe for Cheesecake Bread ring is as follows:
1 13 1/2 oz package hot roll mix
1/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 8 oz package softened cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Soften yeast from hot roll mix in 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees), Combine roll mix and 1/4 cup sugar. Stir in yeast, 1 egg, sour cream, and butter; mix well. Place dough in lightly greased bowl, turning once. Cover; chill 2 -3 hours. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Roll dough into an 18" circle. Gently fit into a 6 1/2 cup ring mold, allowing dough to cover center and some to hang over edges.
Beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, and vanilla till smooth. Add remaining 2 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Pour into mold. Bring dough from sides over top of filling; seal to dough at rim of center hole. Cut an 'X' in the dough covering the hole; fold the 4 triangles back over top of ring, sealing to outer edges. Let rise til almost double (1 - 1 1/2 hrs). Bake at 350 for 35 - 40 mins. Cool in pan 10 min. Turn out on rack. Sprinkle with powered sugar, if desired. Makes 1 coffee cake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here